Asbestos In Thai Water Pipes

Those pipes that are made of a matted kind of cement mixture that are typically 20cm - 30cm in Diameter with a wall thickness of 1cm, do they commonly contain Asbestos?

These were being used as the outside casings for some support pillions that were filled with concrete and steel reinforcement as post.

These were cut up and a cloud of white dust scattered everywhere. There are no stamps on the pipes or any brand ID for me to chase up.

I know that Asbestos is commonly used in Thailand, I have read on this forum before how many people believe it is 100% safe and that is the stance of some of the roofing companies here as well, I wish not to discuss that subject.

When similar looking water pipes were used in Australia in the 60-70's, it contained Asbestos.

There is still a little pile of white powder where the act was done, I am just deciding how best to attempt to clean it up. jap.gif

I would just have left the pipes on as leave-in-place formwork.

These pipes likely do contain asbestos, normally when it's contained in the cement it's no issue, cutting it is another matter.

Anyway, your little pile is unlikely to present a serious hazard, clean it up as best you can with a dustpan and brush (wear a mask) and rinse the area with lots of water.

You could bury the dust to dispose of it, make it in a nice deep hole where it won't get disturbed by gardening.