Beer Drought Looming?

folium

The Makro on Hang Dong is often a pretty good brometer of retail pressures here in CM and based on a trip there this afternoon the barometer is indicating a pretty dry period ahead.

No Singha (but no great surprise there), but also zero canned beer (except Archa), no Tiger, no San Miguel, no Beer Lao, no Heineken, just scraps of Chang Export/Classic/Light, and a pallet load of Archa and Leo. That's it!

Haven't run round town checking other providers, what do other stores look like?

Is this a Makro specific problem or is it just because of a Loy Kratong rush combined with a squeeze on supply?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At both Tesco Lotus Sansai and at 2 different 7-11's I went to late last night, the only beers available were 2 Thai brands that I have never seen or heard of before; one in a purple can and the other in a light blue can. I guess they could have not been very popular as they had plenty of them and it appeared to me no one was buying them. They told me at the 7-11's that they had plenty of canned Leo all day but sold out early in the evening. I have noticed that there seems to be a lack of bottled beer even in Big C and bigger stores but that there are plenty of canned beers.

Macro is not a good indicator of supply pressures - Macro, Tesco, and some others are highly dependent on now-flooded central distribution centers. Buy your beer or whatever at the local market, there's plenty there.

Just because people keep saying there's beer shortages I took a peek in one of the bottle shops on Nimmanhemin today as I was passing by. Guess what? The fridges are bursting with product, all brands are available and in good supply.

BTW it should be obvious that as long as the producers are not actually flooded and there's still routes from those producers to here, there will be no shortages. I haven't heard anything about Chang, Singha, or anybody else stopping production.

Car manufacturers have stopped production so there's shortages of Toyotas, Hondas, and Isuzus. But not beer.

Edited by nikster

There is no beer called archER, For sure .no problem with Beer Chang, as it is brewed in Kamphang Phet. For distribution in the North and North East. . I live in Isarn ,heaps of Beer Chang. Seems to be no shortage of other brands, but I must admit, I have seen no archER.

Tesco-Lotus, Tops, 7-11 and Macro apparently have inflexible distribution systems that can't work around the flooded roads. If you check some of the many small liquor stores or family run convenience stores I think you'll find that none of us are in danger of dieing of sobriety.

From my experience, you can tell ROUGHLY how long a person has been in pratet Thai buy the beer they drink.

Chang - Backpackers and first time visitors.

Singha - Visitors that holiday here regularly or newbie 'expats'.

Leo - expats.

This is based on my observations over many years. Research mak mak!

What rubbish Expatmakmak,I have lived here for 4 years and still prefer Chang Classic.Singha and Leo give me a bad headache but I can drink copious amounts of Chang and be OK.It all a matter of taste.My Mom and Pop shop says there is little chance of them running out of beer but I will keep their location a secret......just in case!

555 Nicksal37, I did say that 'you can tell ROUGHLY' there are of course exceptions to the rule! Trust me, a few years down the line, you may change your preference.

I know a lot of the local bar owners post on here. It would be interesting to hear what they think.

As for me, I've been here a long time and have family here. Although I may not have been contributing here for very long, I have been reading Thaivisa for many years.

I've received various comments on my use of Thai, some supportive, others not so. I'm sorry if some of you don't understand. I'll try and tone in down nit noi.

From my experience, you can tell ROUGHLY how long a person has been in pratet Thai buy the beer they drink.

Leo - expats.

You need more research. I started on Singha but now drink Chang. It's all about peoples personal tastebuds and not about what other people think. Mind you; Leo could be about price for hard up expats.

BTW......Why can't people spell MAKRO on this thread?

Edited by trainman34014

You just think it is bad with the shortage of beer.:P

Worse yet is the lack of Pepsi Mac. I see Coke Zero is disappearing also.:(

agree, coke zero bottle have been gone from makro for some time now.

Edited by alant

the old bell has made a real effort to stock up on beer they still stock a wide range off drinks which has not been easy for them as they have had to travel far and wide to find some supplies im a big cheers fan never really drink anything els

i did a quick inspection last night and im glad to say i will not go short of a drink even if this short edge goes on for a while but please dont order cheers you really wont like it lol

i am a friend of the owner i have not been but upto this in anyway i just feel that they deserve to do well as any local hard working business does

enjoy your day

Leo - expats.

You need more research. I started on Singha but now drink Chang. It's all about peoples personal tastebuds and not about what other people think. Mind you; Leo could be about price for hard up expats.

BTW......Why can't people spell MAKRO on this thread?

Agree with this too, about the beer choice. I started with Singha but moved to Chang as it is less gassy.

I am not seeing a Phuket styles shortage in our ChiangMai pubs etc though and Kevin at the Red Lion (wash my mouth out am I allowed to say that on Thai visa?) has even got London Pride in that I assume is drunk by wealthy ex-pats, tourists and those wanting to show off laugh.gif

BTW was it the people that started MAKRO that couldn't spell?

Leo - expats.

What a load of BS.

From personal observations last few days it's small bottles that are in shorter supply. Guess that's more of a problem for Farang/tourist orientated bars and the cold beers in convenience stores. Most Thai bars only stock large bottles anyway... Didn't see any shortage around Santitham last night :rolleyes:

There was another thread on TV yesterday about beer supply generally quoting various news items. Gist was: seems Leo is brewed in Khon Khean and supply shouldn't be a problem in Chiang Mai. Singha has lost some factories in Ayutthaya brewing Singha Beer which is directly effecting supply. Heineken were boasting they can just bring it in from neighbouring countries....

Makro Superhighway had several pallets of large Leo yesterday. Also lot's of Archa and a bit of other stuff.

I somewhat agree with expatmakmak's comments. I drank Singha when I first came to Thailand, dallied with Chang for a while before reverting to Singha. I now drink almost exclusively Leo and the occasional draft Tiger or ten :D Leo seems to have the least morning after collateral damage.

I have conducted a practical experiment into Thai beer tastes by regularly filling the fridge for parties where Thai friends drink for free. Leo is by far the most popular; One box of Leo to maybe 2-3 bottles of Chang. The Singha is almost untouched. Maybe not scientific, but does seem Leo has won a large market share.

Edited by Paagai

Leo - expats.

What a load of BS.

Indeed. I don't know why backpackers or tourists wouldn't drink Chang?

Chang have built up a big name in UK by sponsoring Everton FC in the Premier league and it's quite expensive in the UK.

I would be more surprised if UK tourist's especially, didn't drink Chang at Thai prices.

The poster obviously drinks Singha. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Leo - expats.

What a load of B.S.!

You sound like you are 'just off the boat' to me.

Leo - expats.

What a load of BS.

anyone sporting such a salubrious dickey bow must be rite lol