How To Monitor Whom Is Using My Wi-Fi

surayu

I am using a satellite internet connection with the IpStar modem, which comes without a wireless connection, so i attached to it an EnGenius box, that basically add the wifi on the existing wired connection.

I would like to monitor whom is connecting to it, but to do that, i have to disconnect the IpStar modem, because otherways it will not show me the menu of the EnGenius box.

The IpStar gateway is 192.168.5.100

The Engenius WiFi box gateway is 192.168.1.1 and requires to setup a static IP

Right now i am only able to use the internet wi-fi without been able to monitor the clients, OR, monitor whom is connected by disconnecting the IpStar modem from their common LAN switch, so, no internet.....

Thanks for any help in advance :)

I'm not sure exactly how it is working now, we really need more information about how the subnet masks are set, but try this.

On your PC with a fixed IP address set your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 (it's likely set to 255.255.255.0) that should allow you to see both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.5.x networks.

Thanks Crossy, i just gave it a try but it got worse, as with that change i was not able anymore to access the menu of the EnGenius (the "wi-fi trasmitter"), so i reverted to the previous configuration with the subnet mask at 255.255.255.0.

Ever so slightly off topic, What are your experiences using IpStar as compared to using a mobile phone connection to get on-line using a computer? I have heard that with the IpStar you can get a weak connection because of clouds etc.

I live up country, in a valley with three mountains surrounding us. I us a signal booster for a mobile or dongle to get Internet on a laptop. I also understand that TOT charge 1600Baht a month for the IpStar system. So how reliable is the system and do you loose speed certain times of the year or when the weather is bad?

It improving but I have sometimes had a really slow internet connection these past 2-3 months and wondered if it's the floods or heavy rain or both? I know one guy who uses Ipstar in the next village, he sometimes gets pissed because he cant get a connection or it is too slow.

Ever so slightly off topic, What are your experiences using IpStar as compared to using a mobile phone connection to get on-line using a computer? I have heard that with the IpStar you can get a weak connection because of clouds etc.

I live up country, in a valley with three mountains surrounding us. I us a signal booster for a mobile or dongle to get Internet on a laptop. I also understand that TOT charge 1600Baht a month for the IpStar system. So how reliable is the system and do you loose speed certain times of the year or when the weather is bad?

It improving but I have sometimes had a really slow internet connection these past 2-3 months and wondered if it's the floods or heavy rain or both? I know one guy who uses Ipstar in the next village, he sometimes gets pissed because he cant get a connection or it is too slow.

Yes IpStar is fine, it gets his up and down, especially during the heavy rains, but i don't usually give it much importance as the electricity will be totally gone just a few minutes after that :D

Or if you have a smart phone, connect with wifi and get those many wifi tools that tell who what and where. I have a fun program that allows me to kick off anyone using a wifi network. (Ducking......)

Seriously, that may be your best bet.

Thanks for the suggestion, i am just browsing around to see what is currently available for my old Iphone 3G, i try to login on the Engenius but it doesn't recognize the password and keep asking for it over and over, while if i try to login on the CCTV i just get a white screen with the brand name of the

CCTV on the heading, i will let you know if i find something that works, however i find it rather hylarious that with all this computers paraphernalia available i have to rely on my already overloaded mobile phone :lol:

It would help if we knew how the Engenious box has been configured.

Your use of the term "gateway" appears to be incorrect also.

The gateway of the modem will be your ISP, and this is not something that you should be concerned with. The gateway of the Engenious box should be the IP address of the modem, and both should be on the same subnet.

I suspect that you actually have the Engenious box working as a router, which is probably not what you want at all (unless you also turn off the routing functions on the modem which apparently you didn't). As such you are lucky that it is working at all, as mentioned.

Normally the best way to set up such a system would be to turn off any routing functions in the modem and assign it a static IP address in the same subnet as the Engenious box. Use that as the gateway for the Engenious box and let the Engenious box do all the routing. (Of course if you configure it that way you must leave the Engenious box connected and powered up.)

Another option would be to leave on the routing functions on the modem and turn them off on the Engenious box (by putting it into access point mode). Again, the subnets must be the same and the gateway of the Engenious box should still be the modem.

Either way should allow you to access the control panels of all the devices without difficulty.

I am now able to see the list without swapping wires all the times, what happened is that the gateway field on the Engenius for some reason was blank, these machines are always crashing, not saving data and whatever else, however at least now is showing me the missing piece of information which i promptly added again, so now it's all sweet, thanks all for all the suggestions and help :thumbsup:

I don't have a lot of info to work with and I do this for a living so my first recommendation is make sure you are using WPA2-PSK access security as opposed to WEP or open security (which Engenious allows). This first step limits the people that can access your wireless network. WEP is amazingly simple to hack. WPA2 significantly more complex.

Try this "net view" command to see who else is accessing your wireless:

Additionally you may want to set your static IP of Engenious to 192.168.5.1 and set its DHCP to hand out addresses 192.168.5.10 - 192.168.5.15. then reset your connection to assign yourself the 192.168.5.x IP address. All three devices (IPSTAR, Engenious and your PC) will now be on the same private subnet which is 192.168.5.x allowing you direct access from your PC to your IPSTAR modem (192.168.5.100).

Edited by JSL

Not sure with IPStar, but my normal wireless router will show me a list of who is connected.

Use your browser to access the router 192.168.1.254, in my case.

Look for the Wireless option on the menu.

1. Have you set up the wireless security with a strong password?

2. Some routers allow you to set the permitted MAC addresses for accessors, keeping out the unwanted.

3. Limiting the available addresses under DHCP is also an option, as mentioned above.

I have a different scenario - I open my wifi + internet connectivity to my guests and to my neighbour for adhoc connection. I set up a stronger security on the data access layer.

having said that, I limit the wifi access by applying :

- specific MAC addresses, as astral mentioned in #9

- limit the DHCP, also in astral suggestion #9

- install cisco's Network Magic Pro ( paid version ), as ludditeman mentioned in #12

set MAC addresses and DHCP range, all depends on the Engenious' configuration capability. ( I have a Linksys router that is very flexible, and a Zyxel one that has limited parameters. )

Network Magic could be available free of charge, and a pro version available for less than USD50 ( forgot ). it has a graphic network map and show all connected devices, their MAC address and date/time of connection. it also block unwanted connection. easy to understand, yet quite basic, don't expect too much :-)