Beautiful

ShopBoy

After living in Thailand for so many years if not for the flood in Bangkok i wouldn't be in Chiang Mai during this time of the year.

Looking at the skyline infront of my house it's beautiful to see so many Kom Loy up the sky and it took away my worries for the moment.

Happy Loy Kratong everyone.

Anyone in CM watching Impact Asia on BBC World Service would be amazed to learn that Loy Kratong has been cancelled.

I am sure that the city of Chaing Mai is enjoying this wonderful festival and taking solace that the worst has passed here, as well as feeling sorrow for all in the central parts of Thailand who are currently under water. What we don't need is the ignorant reporting of organisations such as the BBC who purport to be professional news sources but who are painting a totally distorted picture of the reality. Shame on the BBC for once again failing to give the world a truly factual picture of this country.

Like every year, to many drunk men and sober kids throw many firework through the merrymakers. And it seems to become worse and worse.

The best place for a happy loy krathong for me and my family is home.

Wish every one a happy loy krathong anyway.

Edited by Joop50

It was our first Loy Kratong here in Chiang Mai, and we had a wonderful time. We were down by the Narawat Bridge, and surrounded by crowds of happy families with kids while we floated our rafts, released our lanterns, watched the parade, and just reveled in the beauty and enjoyment of people around us. While some were tossing very small fireworks, we didn't see anything unpleasant or dangerous, and the police were friendly and helpful, even scaling a tree to get a caught lantern out before it set it alight as well.

It was a memorable evening, and we look forward to many more Loy Kratong celebrations in beautiful Chiang Mai!

Yes, i am actually thankful for the floodings in the sense that it sped up my move from bkk to CM. Very glad to be here. Pls dont waste time trying to find selfishness and lack of empathy for flood victims in my previous sentence. Another great sunny day in CM today. : )

It was our first Loy Kratong here in Chiang Mai, and we had a wonderful time. We were down by the Narawat Bridge, and surrounded by crowds of happy families with kids while we floated our rafts, released our lanterns, watched the parade, and just reveled in the beauty and enjoyment of people around us. While some were tossing very small fireworks, we didn't see anything unpleasant or dangerous, and the police were friendly and helpful, even scaling a tree to get a caught lantern out before it set it alight as well.

It was a memorable evening, and we look forward to many more Loy Kratong celebrations in beautiful Chiang Mai!

That's lovely to read!

As it turned out we found a very nice new (for us) spot, at a temple right on the river; just busy enough but not crowded. Was on the East bank of the river, South of Pa Daed. Beautiful.

Just got back from the Narawat bridge the crowd was having a great time. It felt good to be a part of some thing that brings so much joy to all most every one. Young and old alike It's not like back home where it is ileagel to enjoy life.:P

Edited by hellodolly

It was fun...this time we went around Tapae Gate instead of The River(like all the years before)...same same,but different..:)...less of the show,but pleasant and...quicker to get back home after...Happy Loi Kratong !!...:jap:

It was my first experience of Loy Krathong celebrations in Thailand and it certainly was enjoyable overall.

I just have some negative points I'd like to mention though:

• The small air balloons are a fire hazard. Have there been any reports of trees or houses being burnt down? I saw some get stuck in trees and power lines.
  • Are the air balloons biodegradable? The metal wire frame certainly isn't.
  • Fireworks are dangerous as they can cause injury if they explode on someone. There are signs around that say not to light fireworks, but nobody enforces it. I saw one girl near the bridge on the street crying waiting for medical help and holding a tissue over her eyes with blood flowing down. A crowd was forming around her. I was wondering whether her eyes were injured but the injury was between her eyes, as a I saw her lift the tissue when a security officer asked to see it. I suspected that a firework hit her but I don't know what actually caused the injury between her eyes.
  • I think the smoke from the fireworks is toxic. It's not healthy to breathe such smoke for so many hours (the parade went on for over 4 hours today and the venue outside the Municipal Office was smoky the entire time).
  • The noise from the fireworks is distracting when there is a show going on with music and announcer speaking. Some performances are meant to be slow and graceful but the constant loud fireworks explosions completely destroy whatever atmosphere the music was meant to create.
  • Crowd management wasn't great. There were just too many people around the Municipal office, yet the officials still wanted everyone to move back. I very often saw some almost-violent pushing and shoving in the crowd on the other side of the road.
  • It seemed that the primary audience of the performances were the "VIPs".

On balance, it was still an enjoyable experience. I do also agree that Chiang Mai is beautiful.

Does anyone know the name of one of the theme songs of the Yi Peng parade? (other than that cheerful "Loy, Loy Krathong" song)? It was used by more than just a few of the parade groups (some with the female "yodeling" vocals, others without). It sounds very mystical and dreamy, makes me think of ancient times (so it was very appropriate for the occasion). I managed to find a video of it on YouTube (from 0:06):

Edited by hyperdimension

It was my first experience of Loy Krathong celebrations in Thailand and it certainly was enjoyable overall.

I just have some negative points I'd like to mention though:

• The small air balloons are a fire hazard. Have there been any reports of trees or houses being burnt down? I saw some get stuck in trees and power lines.
  • Are the air balloons biodegradable? The metal wire frame certainly isn't.
  • Fireworks are dangerous as they can cause injury if they explode on someone. There are signs around that say not to light fireworks, but nobody enforces it. I saw one girl near the bridge on the street crying waiting for medical help and holding a tissue over her eyes with blood flowing down. A crowd was forming around her. I was wondering whether her eyes were injured but the injury was between her eyes, as a I saw her lift the tissue when a security officer asked to see it. I suspected that a firework hit her but I don't know what actually caused the injury between her eyes.
  • I think the smoke from the fireworks is toxic. It's not healthy to breathe such smoke for so many hours (the parade went on for over 4 hours today and the venue outside the Municipal Office was smoky the entire time).
  • The noise from the fireworks is distracting when there is a show going on with music and announcer speaking. Some performances are meant to be slow and graceful but the constant loud fireworks explosions completely destroy whatever atmosphere the music was meant to create.
  • Crowd management wasn't great. There were just too many people around the Municipal office, yet the officials still wanted everyone to move back. I very often saw some almost-violent pushing and shoving in the crowd on the other side of the road.
  • It seemed that the primary audience of the performances were the "VIPs".

On balance, it was still an enjoyable experience. I do also agree that Chiang Mai is beautiful.

Does anyone know the name of one of the theme songs of the Yi Peng parade? (other than that cheerful "Loy, Loy Krathong" song)? It was used by more than just a few of the parade groups (some with the female "yodeling" vocals, others without). It sounds very mystical and dreamy, makes me think of ancient times (so it was very appropriate for the occasion). I managed to find a video of it on YouTube (from 0:06):

You forgot to, bitch about the Krathong 's in the river being environmentally harmful.

What exactly was it you enjoyed.

Fireworks should be banned.

Why?

They are noisy, dangerous and they disrupt my sleep.

And disrupting Semper's sleep should be forbidden! smile.gif

I agree, I only like fireworks in the air.

Shopboy, good you're enjoying your stay here. Have you been to Doi Suthep in the evening yet, to overlook the sea of lights of CM? It always make me feel silent inside. To me that is Loy Krathong all year round, without the crowd & noise.

Fireworks should be banned.

Why?

They are noisy, dangerous and they disrupt my sleep.

And disrupting Semper's sleep should be forbidden! smile.gif

I agree, I only like fireworks in the air.

Shopboy, good you're enjoying your stay here. Have you been to Doi Suthep in the evening yet, to overlook the sea of lights of CM? It always make me feel silent inside. To me that is Loy Krathong all year round, without the crowd & noise.

It's too late if i go tonight ? Still as spectacular as last few days ?

That's lovely to read!

As it turned out we found a very nice new (for us) spot, at a temple right on the river; just busy enough but not crowded. Was on the East bank of the river, South of Pa Daed. Beautiful.

wtk, thought you said in past post,hate this festival,will be stocking up and staying home for three days till its over,changed your mind quick??????

That's lovely to read!

wtk, thought you said in past post,hate this festival,will be stocking up and staying home for three days till its over,changed your mind quick??????

Not easy to be Bah Humbug when you have kids at festival time. Particularly if they don't have a western education where it is illegal to enjoy things.:jap:

LOL

That's lovely to read!

Ah.. that was an attempt at sarcasm about Thaivisa-Farang bitching on just about any expression of culture in Thailand, (and specifically Songkran.) I think I added something like 'stocking up on DVDs and staying at home for the duration', that's what many claim to be doing during the best party of the year. I probably should have made it even more over-the-top, such as claiming to book a flight to the Philippines to avoid any and all Thai culture. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm happy people pay attention. ;)

In all seriousness about Loy Krathong, it's also true though that massive crowds, and fireworks being set off within the crowd, is not suitable to take young kids to. But as a festival, at a nice location, I of course enjoy it very much.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You forgot to, bitch about the Krathong 's in the river being environmentally harmful.

They are not harmful if they are made of biodegradable material like leaves and wood, which most are. If most were not then you can be sure that I would add it to my list of negative points!

What exactly was it you enjoyed.

I enjoyed some of the music as I had mentioned, and also seeing traditional Thai culture and its variations (costume and dance) on display, and seeing the Thai people themselves take keen interest in it. Some of the parade floats looks amazing.

I forgot to add, that I was disgusted to see The Red shirt radio station 92.5MHz / Rak Chiang Mai 51 group as part of the procession, basically politicizing the festival, wearing their over-worn red shirts and waving red flags, as if they were in one of their protest rallies. They simply did not belong. When observing the crowd I could hardly spot anyone wearing a red shirt.

Earlier in the day whilst strolling through Wat Phra Singh I could hear the red shirt radio over the loudspeakers (you'd think that the environs of a temple would be a place of peace and quiet). I think they have an office near there. I walked past the building and they had set up a stage across from it. The incessant loud ranting over the loudspeakers mentioned the flood, Abhisit, and Suthep. I gathered that they weren't talking about them in a positive light.

Edited by hyperdimension

It's hard to mention those safety issues here,without been called a complainer,or worse...but it is a big issue...I've had my children with last night and always been alert that something can fall on the head...well,we've made it and it was fun after all.

...one example here, burning lantern...

post-60959-0-30325000-1321079391_thumb.j