Robbers, Greedy Boat Operators Prey On Flood Victims: Thailand

webfact

Robbers, greedy boat operators prey on flood victims

The Nation

30169757-01.jpg

Most floodrelated complaints lodged with police have involved violent robberies and extortionate prices for boattransport services, according to Pol MajGeneral Piya Uthayo, a spokesman for the Royal Thai Police.

The eight areas where the highest prices were being charged for boat services were Soi Sena, Soi Suayai, National Memorial, Ban Mai Canal, Big C Chaeng Wattana, Bang Yai City housing estate, Soi Thait and Soi Piyanon. All of these areas are in Bangkok, Nonthaburi or Pathum Thani.

Boatservice operators deemed to be in violation of the Prices of Goods and Services Act, BE 2542, for overcharging face sentences of seven years in jail and/or fines of up to Bt140,000, Piya said.

The eight areas to have seen the most robbery complaints are the Aksara, Sor Phanurangsi, Saeng Buathong, Hunsa Macharoen, Muang Ake and Monthon Teamwes housing estates, Rangsitland condominium and Suwan Maithai shopping centre in the same provinces.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-12

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can confirm this in Sai Mai area. When we took our boat there to help people get out we were told to go somewhere else by a group of these operators. We just ignored them and continued to do what we do for free. But I saw money handed over for boat services on many occasions from 20 baht up and down a soi to 3000 baht to move household items out. 3000 for a car to be moved out.

Another annoying thing was the amount of government and non government officials, reporters, etc,. using boats to travel around and take photos. People were asking for help but these boats were packed full of officials and reporters already and all they said was that someone would come to get them soon. I just think its a bit inappropriate to use boats in this way when people are asking for, and need, help.

As for robberies its not just in the flood areas that these are on the increase. All over Bangkok right now violence seems to be on the increase with the amount of calls that the police are getting over the radios (which my rescue friends listen to). They said motor vehicle accidents are down but violence is up, including robberies. I'm really not sure why but perhaps they believe they will not get caught because of the disaster situation; police are too busy to respond or are unable to get to a location. Either way best to be a little more vigilant nowadays, lock your doors securely, keep your belongings safe, don't get into arguments with people (turn the other cheek), etc.

Very sad to hear about this when the country is in need of the good Thai spirit.

I think the good guys far outweigh the bad guys in the floods right now :D

I see thousands of people helping out and volunteering everyday but in a country this large you are bound to get some bad with the good.

1321059721[/url]' post='4840792']

Very sad to hear about this when the country is in need of the good Thai spirit.

Good Thai spirit? You must be kidding. These people would take advantage all day long if they could. Not really any fault of their own. This country values only the baht and how much you have of it. There are no safety nets, no social programs so one must beg, borrow or steal if one wants to survive.

Welcome to the forum. Yes it is a sad image. But there is a lot of good stuff going on too, a fact I cling to, to save myself from drowning in the darkness of anger.

But a further blight on the sadder view, I recently learnt about the Customs and Port authorities screwing businesses because they are not able to collect their much needed containers. Factories are desperate to get hold of their production components, and are hindered only by the flood.

Edited by Crossy
link to Bangkok Post removed per forum rules, comment on moderation also deleted.

"Extortionate prices"? It's a free market, isn't it?

Actually, No, it is a monopoly controlled by the boat owners if there is no other means of transport.

A monopoly would be when one person or one company owns all the boats. That isn't the case here. Where I live there are laws against price gouging in emergencies. To me that has never made any sense. For example if I sold bottled water, and there was a tornado 200 miles away, why would I travel that far if I could just stay at home and sell it for the same price. However if I could charge any price I wanted to do, I might make the effort, and thus help meet a critical shortage.

The high price of boat transport will induce other boat owners to go that neighborhood, and thus by the law of supply and demand. lower the prices. And for every family that is "forced" to pay the high boat price, it only means that the good samaritans are able to help another family that really can't afford that price.

Welcome to the forum. Yes it is a sad image. But there is a lot of good stuff going on too, a fact I cling to, to save myself from drowning in the darkness of anger.

But a further blight on the sadder view, I recently learnt about the Customs and Port authorities screwing businesses because they are not able to collect their much needed containers. Factories are desperate to get hold of their production components, and are hindered only by the flood. I tried to mention this before, only to have my post deleted.

Speaking of the Port Authorities does anyone know if its normal to get taxed on Donated second hand items to a registered charity?

Apparently it is in Thailand but in other countries is this a standard practice?

It's never been a free market. Prices are controlled by the Gov even when business are losing money by selling at the controlled price. It's never been a truly democratic country and publishers and writer's have been controlled through freedom of speech laws.

The Thai people will make through this disaster because of their willingness to help each other in tough times. They are good people who should not have to deal with despicable people trying to take advantage of their situation.

Edited by Lifer

The good Pol General knows where the overcharging is taking place (from complaints??) and has obviously reacted accordingly. No charges laid, but a fair percentage of the profits appropriated. :ph34r:

Next we wil have the pattaya jet ski crowd coming in....

Unfortunately it's the truth...... BASTARDS !!!!! :angry:

The good Pol General knows where the overcharging is taking place (from complaints??) and has obviously reacted accordingly. No charges laid, but a fair percentage of the profits appropriated. :ph34r:

It would be so easy to set up a couple of sting operations, so one does wonder if there is a financial incentive not to.

How does it go? "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Retracting my own earlier concerns about declaring a state of emergency, under such conditions, the army could commandeer the vessels and get on with the job.

Can confirm this in Sai Mai area. When we took our boat there to help people get out we were told to go somewhere else by a group of these operators. We just ignored them and continued to do what we do for free. But I saw money handed over for boat services on many occasions from 20 baht up and down a soi to 3000 baht to move household items out. 3000 for a car to be moved out.

Another annoying thing was the amount of government and non government officials, reporters, etc,. using boats to travel around and take photos. People were asking for help but these boats were packed full of officials and reporters already and all they said was that someone would come to get them soon. I just think its a bit inappropriate to use boats in this way when people are asking for, and need, help.

As for robberies its not just in the flood areas that these are on the increase. All over Bangkok right now violence seems to be on the increase with the amount of calls that the police are getting over the radios (which my rescue friends listen to). They said motor vehicle accidents are down but violence is up, including robberies. I'm really not sure why but perhaps they believe they will not get caught because of the disaster situation; police are too busy to respond or are unable to get to a location. Either way best to be a little more vigilant nowadays, lock your doors securely, keep your belongings safe, don't get into arguments with people (turn the other cheek), etc.

3000baht to save my car doesn't sound unreasonable.

Good Thai spirit? You must be kidding. These people would take advantage all day long if they could. Not really any fault of their own. This country values only the baht and how much you have of it. There are no safety nets, no social programs so one must beg, borrow or steal if one wants to survive.

Or maybe even have to work.... Uhhhhh sorry.gif

Actually, No, it is a monopoly controlled by the boat owners if there is no other means of transport.

A monopoly would be when one person or one company owns all the boats. That isn't the case here. Where I live there are laws against price gouging in emergencies. To me that has never made any sense. For example if I sold bottled water, and there was a tornado 200 miles away, why would I travel that far if I could just stay at home and sell it for the same price. However if I could charge any price I wanted to do, I might make the effort, and thus help meet a critical shortage.

The high price of boat transport will induce other boat owners to go that neighborhood, and thus by the law of supply and demand. lower the prices. And for every family that is "forced" to pay the high boat price, it only means that the good samaritans are able to help another family that really can't afford that price.

Or when the boat owners form a cartel to reduce competition, as evidenced by Pogal "........ we were told to go somewhere else by a group of these operators."

If you wish to sell your water at over-inflated prices and claim that you are helping, please don't use me as a reference while explaining your actions to the police should they decide to enforce the laws currently in place.

This is such a massive disaster whatever we discuss on this forum pales into insignificance when one begins to realize just how many people are suffering from loss of income. loss of loved ones, loss of homes and it goes on. I hope the authorities take decisive action in the coming year to help avert another flood.

Well, sure. They can all get jobs at Burger King, can't they? I'm glad you're sorry for regurgitating that.

In most scenarios, your thinking is correct. But you have to consider extreme situations.

Lets say your car breaks down while crossing Arizona (in the desert - 100+ miles from any town).

Very quickly, you are on the verge of thirst exhaustion. You come to a shop - they notice you are dying of thirst. You want a bottle of water: $10,000.

You pay, or you die. Its a free market.

It was just a matter of time. I'm surprised it took this long. I am pretty sure that most farang's had enough vision to move out or take contingency measures long before the flood waters hit. Or else we would be reading about these Thai boat vultures preying on foreigners. Hey, when you can't screw the foreigner, why not cannibalize your own. Money's money, whoever its from.

Are you talking about the USA?