Anyone Heard This Before

doppa

Turning a router off then waiting a few moments before turning back on can speed things up sometimes. I do it occasionally when I've been connected for long time and my speeds have dropped.

As for overheating yes this can be a problem too. I have set my router up on a little stand with a computer fan connected to one of the feeds inside the computer blowing up through the router.

Of course if you work in an air conditiond room overheating should not be a problem. :whistling:

They always say that when they don't have a solution to the problem. :lol: But in all honesty sometimes it works (especially if you use one of those cheap modems they give you). The best thing I did was throw that cheap modem in the trash and replace it with a good quality Cisco Systems modem/router. I often leave it on for days at a time and it never gets hot or needs to be reset like the cheapies do.

Turning a router off then waiting a few moments before turning back on can speed things up sometimes. I do it occasionally when I've been connected for long time and my speeds have dropped.

As for overheating yes this can be a problem too. I have set my router up on a little stand with a computer fan connected to one of the feeds inside the computer blowing up through the router.

Of course if you work in an air conditiond room overheating should not be a problem. :whistling:

I reboot my router when the connection appears too slow…. Its generally my first response to a slow connection.. It works sometimes. I don't think my router overheats, I simply think it just needs a reboot from time to time.

I also had to call out TOT when my connection failed once. The tech narrowed down the issue to my router, opened it up and found loads (I mean 1000’s) of ants inside. For some reason they were attracted to the electricity ! Go figure !

They always say that when they don't have a solution to the problem. :lol: But in all honesty sometimes it works (especially if you use one of those cheap modems they give you). The best thing I did was throw that cheap modem in the trash and replace it with a good quality Cisco Systems modem/router. I often leave it on for days at a time and it never gets hot or needs to be reset like the cheapies do.

I used a Cisco router til it crapped out after 2 yrs (never turned it off, only power failures turn my machines off).... about 6 months ago bought a decent d-link and it has been on for 6 months straight and have not had to reboot cuz of crappy, slow, internet... i have always propped my routers up on some bits of foam and made sure they get decent air circulation.

One of the things i really liked about the Cisco was network magic which came with it... network magic also works with my d-link and will restore a bad connection automatically (resets the port).

I used a Cisco router til it crapped out after 2 yrs (never turned it off, only power failures turn my machines off).... about 6 months ago bought a decent d-link and it has been on for 6 months straight and have not had to reboot cuz of crappy, slow, internet... i have always propped my routers up on some bits of foam and made sure they get decent air circulation.

One of the things i really liked about the Cisco was network magic which came with it... network magic also works with my d-link and will restore a bad connection automatically (resets the port).

I like the Network Magic software too. It always restores a lost connection (which does not happen often with the Cisco router/modem).

I have the standard True modem that came with the subscription and it's crap. I went to a store to buy a new modem and when they heard I was on a True subscription they told me that their modems didn't work with True.

Can this be true? I thought as long as you have the password etc. then you could use any modem with any supplier. But I did believe them at the time as it seamed very unusual that they should recommend me not tp spend money in their shop.

Anybody know?

Overheating may be a simple answer to explain a more complex answer. Thai ISPs don't build up there infrastructure until the bandwidth starts to drag. When you first turn on your modem/router, they assign an IP address to it. As more modems/routers are turned on, they assign new IP addresses. The ones at the top of the assignment get a better response time then those at the bottom. Turn off your modem/router for 30-40 seconds and when you turn on, the ISP server assigns a new IP address to your modem/router and you should get better response. Over heating is a simpler answer for most Thais to understand to get you to turn off and on your modem/router to get a new IP address assigned.

Turn your modem/router off and on once a day to insure your response times.

Very cheap modem/routers may have very cheap wiring on the inside causing additional attenuation problems.

" recommended by tot to buy a billion wireless"

Best thing to do with the Billion is leave it on the shelf in the store, they are a nightmare to work with. I bought one when I moved here a couple of years ago as I had one provided by the service provider in Australia and it was OK. Should have worked, but refused to work properly on wireless reliably. So Billion binned and bought a Linksys with network magic as an extra. The Linksys ran hot all the time and eventually after I left it on one night got really flaky after being on for half an hour, the verdict is heat damaged. The network magic took over the network interface on my laptop and made it a pain in the butt every time I went to use a different network when travelling. Have since noticed most Linksys routers have an after market fan fitted to get around the running hot issue. So forget the Linksys as well. This problem with the Linksys sounds very similar to the OP's problem as well. Would work well until it warmed up, then may work and may not.

Went to the shop I use in Fortune Town and explained the problem, the lady remembered me and said they would take the Linksys back and give me a credit of about 70% on a new router. OK, thanks as I had lost the receipt, then remembered the little sticker they put on. Third time around I asked what would you buy, 3 Com, not a brand I am familiar with, but these are the experts. Remove all traces of previous router, especially network magic and install the 3 Com. Dead easy and everything worked first time and is still working. No software that wants to take over my PC, no problems if I leave it on, dead easy to add another wireless device, simply brilliant. Was about 3000 Baht at the time.

Everybody will have a different slant on PC hardware, this is simply my experience.

The internet light is probably indicating data traffic, and as such will blink.

Cheers

Third time around I asked what would you buy, 3 Com, not a brand I am familiar with, but these are the experts.

3com is pretty well known for its quality and what I usually bought for the office. 3com was bought out by HP (Hewlett-Packard) in 2010. Don't think the 3com brand name is still used.

Great to hear all the different solutions. I had this recurring problem of no internet, slow speed or lack of wireless reception with 3BB and four weeks ago, they replaced the "Huwei" router with a "Billion".

The problem is far worse than before. "Engineer" called out three times and said it was because I was using an Apple Mac that I had wireless problems. SoI then produced the Windows laptop and same wireless problems. He said "OH" that is because you use Windows Vista. So we asked him to kindly go and bring back another "Engineer" for another evaluation. Needless to say he has not returned.

However, after reading the above and understanding allocation of IP addresses to routers whenever they sign on, have rebooted and all is OK. I have also put a PC fan below the router to see if that it improves it.

Now I would like to ask anyone if they can recommend a good quality router that provides a better internal wiring build quality, or whatever else it takes to keep the the thing functioning better than the one I currently received from 3BB.

Many thanks

" recommended by tot to buy a billion wireless"

Best thing to do with the Billion is leave it on the shelf in the store, they are a nightmare to work with. I bought one when I moved here a couple of years ago as I had one provided by the service provider in Australia and it was OK. Should have worked, but refused to work properly on wireless reliably. So Billion binned and bought a Linksys with network magic as an extra. The Linksys ran hot all the time and eventually after I left it on one night got really flaky after being on for half an hour, the verdict is heat damaged. The network magic took over the network interface on my laptop and made it a pain in the butt every time I went to use a different network when travelling. Have since noticed most Linksys routers have an after market fan fitted to get around the running hot issue. So forget the Linksys as well. This problem with the Linksys sounds very similar to the OP's problem as well. Would work well until it warmed up, then may work and may not.

Went to the shop I use in Fortune Town and explained the problem, the lady remembered me and said they would take the Linksys back and give me a credit of about 70% on a new router. OK, thanks as I had lost the receipt, then remembered the little sticker they put on. Third time around I asked what would you buy, 3 Com, not a brand I am familiar with, but these are the experts. Remove all traces of previous router, especially network magic and install the 3 Com. Dead easy and everything worked first time and is still working. No software that wants to take over my PC, no problems if I leave it on, dead easy to add another wireless device, simply brilliant. Was about 3000 Baht at the time.

Everybody will have a different slant on PC hardware, this is simply my experience.

The internet light is probably indicating data traffic, and as such will blink.

Cheers

Where is Fortune town please?

Turn off your modem/router for 30-40 seconds and when you turn on, the ISP server assigns a new IP address to your modem/router and you should get better response.

Can someone please confirm if this is true? The reason I ask, I live in a multiple apartment building that provides wireless access so I don't have my own router. I do have the key to the room that has the router but I don't want to turn off/on the router unless this will improve the performance.

Now I would like to ask anyone if they can recommend a good quality router that provides a better internal wiring build quality, or whatever else it takes to keep the the thing functioning better than the one I currently received from 3BB.

Many thanks

Cisco Systems are the leader in networking. Their modem/routers work great for me. There are many models to choose from. They sell their products all over Chiang Mai.

The ones they provide from 3BB are the cheapest, lowest quality you can get. Throw it in the bin.

Edited by elektrified

Turn off your modem/router for 30-40 seconds and when you turn on, the ISP server assigns a new IP address to your modem/router and you should get better response.

Can someone please confirm if this is true?

I've never heard of that being an issue in the slightest.

A way to improve the experience with poor-quality routers (i.e. the ones we normally get) is to let your PC, rather than the router, do the firewalling. I listed my tips here.

Many thanks

Cisco Systems are the leader in networking. Their modem/routers work great for me. There are many models to choose from. They sell their products all over Chiang Mai.

The ones they provide from 3BB are the cheapest, lowest quality you can get. Throw it in the bin.

Many thanks elektrified.