Removal Of Don Muang Airport Big Bag Barriers Draws Condemnation

Lite Beer

Removal of Don Muang Airport Big Bag Barriers Draws Condemnation

The deputy Bangkok governor forwards a document to the prime minister about the objection to remove big bag barriers stationed at Don Muang Airport.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Teerachon Manomaiphibul, who is also the Working Group on Water Management chairman in disaster-stricken areas signed his name on a document to be sent to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The document details important procedures to manage the flood water with big bag barriers in flood-critical areas.

By removing the big bags in compliance with the demand of local residents in Don Muang will cause drastic affects to the country.

It is vital to have clear communication with the locals and provide them with relief items such as food and water to alleviate their stress.

Failing to do so will result in locals tearing down the big bag barrier, which will cause monumental damage to the country’s economic, social, and education sectors up to trillions of baht.

Elsewhere, residents have voiced concern whether the flood water will completely swamp over Rama II road to be impassible.

The deputy governor addressed that residents can rest assured, as there are three main canals that can quickly drain the flow of water into the “monkey-cheek” water retention basins.

These canals are Sanamchai, Mahachai, and Phraya Ratcha Montri canals respectively.

Water has swamped the Bang Bon and Ekkachai roads as a result from an overflow of nearby canals and caused the water to ooze through underground pipes.

Authorities are quickly planning to drain water at a sluice gate near the area and channel water into the sea.

However, this has caused quite an impact to locals living at Rama II road, forcing some residents to evacuate.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-13

footer_n.gif

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have they done this already? Anything to get the water out of my area, great!

I am watching Thai PBS and the residents have already made a 20ft gap in the bag, and the residents are threatening that if the BB is not removed by 18.00 then they will block the toll way.

"It is vital to have clear communication with the locals and provide them with relief items such as food and water to alleviate their stress. "

Therein lies the problem. The government has failed the people by not educating them, and from the looks of it, have continued to not communicate with themselves. Far too many egos and each wanting their selfish photo-op. Since day one, it's been basically a free for all and each wants to do it their way. They continue to handle things the way they know best...handouts. Just give them some food and water and they'll be happy...no stress!

Good for the locals who are tired of being treated as garbage.

"It is vital to have clear communication with the locals and provide them with relief items such as food and water to alleviate their stress. "

Therein lies the problem. The government has failed the people by not educating them, and from the looks of it, have continued to not communicate with themselves. Far too many egos and each wanting their selfish photo-op. Since day one, it's been basically a free for all and each wants to do it their way. They continue to handle things the way they know best...handouts. Just give them some food and water and they'll be happy...no stress!

After a month or so of trapping people in an artificial inland sea, the victims finally got tired of looking at the toxic water, ruined homes, destroyed lives, and filthy living conditions and decided they've had enough. Maybe they read through some of these TV forums and saw all the triumphalism, self-congratulations, and the marking of "progress" being made equivalent to the re-opening and continuing functioning of shopping centers.

Tom, I'm sure.I have enormous sympathy with your situation but to allow all that water out unannounced to anyone downstream is a bloody awful thing to do

Sure but the water was getting black and stagnant there. It was not moving. I can understand them really well. They were being sacrificed for others and will get a mere 5k compensation just like everyone else.

I have been flooded for 3 weeks in an other area, and i can really understand the stress there. If you want to save an area then at least really compensate the people that are going to be sacrificed.

After a month or so of trapping people in an artificial inland sea, the victims finally got tired of looking at the toxic water, ruined homes, destroyed lives, and filthy living conditions and decided they've had enough. Maybe they read through some of these TV forums and saw all the triumphalism, self-congratulations, and the marking of "progress" being made equivalent to the re-opening and continuing functioning of shopping centers.

Absolutely, 'zydeco. Continually hearing the BKK Governor spouting about BKK being totally dry by New Year and the press reporting about conditions in BKK only, why shouldn't the people being forced to live in these conditions be upset? They have every right to be and with the perception that nothing is being done except for Bangkok, I don't blame them at all. The cartoon from the Nation a few weeks back sums it up nicely.

post-6428-0-70541700-1321181021_thumb.jp

Edited by frodo

I think the compensation must be 5000 per person and 5000 for each property to be fair. People are having real hardship. They also will need to cut down on paperwork or else we'll see hundreds of people employed turning in fake registrations for their masters.

If they can't resolve DM issue wait and see of what will happen starting a week before 26th this month.

Edited by elcent

Sure but the water was getting black and stagnant there. It was not moving. I can understand them really well. They were being sacrificed for others and will get a mere 5k compensation just like everyone else.

Guys, I have heard somesthing from our locals: the compensation is offered for BANGKOK ONLY.

Rangsit/Saimai/Lamlukka is Pathumthani, BanBuaThong is Nonthaburi etc....not "inner" Bkk.

They keep saying that many families from "greater, but not inner Bkk" waere already rejected for any kind of compensation. They just kicked out with zero.

Locals gettin' really mad here about this all. That's why.

Edited by alexakap

Guys, I have heard somesthing from our locals: the compensation is offered for BANGKOK ONLY.

Rangsit/Saimai/Lamlukka is Pathumthani, BanBuaThong is Nonthaburi etc....not "inner" Bkk.

They keep saying that many families from "greater, but not inner Bkk" was already rejected for compensation.

I don't know if its true or not. To be honest i don't really care about it as i already told my wife she could have the money if she applied. Too bad for her then.

I also think there could be riots over this. Many people who took water for BKK will feel real angry.

They keep saying that many families from "greater, but not inner Bkk" was already rejected for compensation.

It gets worse. The following was put up in today's Thailand Live thread:

TR @Diaw_NBC: To get flood compensation (Bt5,000), u need ID card, household registration document and (if u have) pics of flooded home.If u live in apartments or condos but yr floors aren't flooded, u r not qualified for compensation./via@tulsathit

So. . . if you didn't manage to break out the digital camera before the floodwaters went down in your house, then you're out of luck. BTW, as everyone should have expected, the housebook requirement means that virtually only Thais need apply. But for 5000? Most foreigners probably don't care anyway. Before the government is through with them, even average Thai victims will have spent more time doing paperwork and standing in line than the 5000 is worth in terms of hours worked. What an insult!

I think the compensation must be 5000 per person and 5000 for each property to be fair. People are having real hardship. They also will need to cut down on paperwork or else we'll see hundreds of people employed turning in fake registrations for their masters.

If they can't resolve DM issue wait and see of what will happen starting a week before 26th this month.

I think it should be 5000 baht per household per day for every day the household is flooded more than 30cm.

When you look and see how much the Govt is going to compensate the factories etc, it really appears that they care little about the people.

Once again an "Ammart" Govt that has little regard for the "Prai"

But I don't think those big bags should be broken until it's made clear what the effects of breaking them will be. This should be easy enough for the Govt to explain. Are they protecting Industrial estates or residential areas? How many people would be affected and to what extent.

We live in Don Muang and the point made about "clear communcation" - rather than "rumor on the canal" (formerly know a as "soi") is so important.

Don Muang people might have accepted this sort of "we know what's best" attitude previously, but things have changed around here in recent years (we've been here nearly 15).

But, it ain't happening.

What we have instead is the local MP Karun, who is a PT, grandstanding and whipping up a frenzy.

I notice in the last few hours, Yingluck has come out and said the Big Bags will not be taken down.

Then Karun hit back with an ultimatum.

These people are supposed to be on the same side!!

FROC and the BMA are making a big mistake by not explaining to people the issues around the Big Bags.

Edited by RegularReader

When you look and see how much the Govt is going to compensate the factories etc, it really appears that they care little about the people.

No-no, no any double standarts here. We have The True, The Reddest possible democracy here, haven't we?? Everyone will get rich soon!

And....this won't affect tourism after all - shopping centers still open. Just be patient, try to keep your Burberies dry, avoid crocodiles and queue your stand for FREE 5000 (if you lucky to be among "qualified").... :whistling:

Edited by alexakap

I think it should be 5000 baht per household per day for every day the household is flooded more than 30cm.

Once again an "Ammart" Govt that has little regard for the "Prai"

But I don't think those big bags should be broken until it's made clear what the effects of breaking them will be. This should be easy enough for the Govt to explain. Are they protecting Industrial estates or residential areas? How many people would be affected and to what extent.

It looks they're trying to protecting both. Industrial estates they've been busy trying to get the water to go around those places. Residential areas, the main concerns are those that are illegally built on klongs, are considered "Luxury Homes" and have illegal golf courses nearby. Even though these illegal residential areas were "discovered" 2 weeks ago and they are blocking the water flowing down the east, they are permitted to stay at the expense of the nobody's north of Bangkok.

Gyus, could someone do me a favour and point me to the map of this BigBagBarrier please? Thai maps also OK.

I want to know its exact location and shape.

I have googled a bit but found nothing good enough. Thanks.

Edited by alexakap

Gyus, could someone do me a favour and point me to the map of this BigBagBarrier please? Thai maps also OK.

I want to know its exact location and shape.

I have googled a bit but found nothing good enough. Thanks.

Good question, but I bet neither FROC or the BMA - who should know - would be able to supply one.!

We live in Don Muang and the point made about "clear communcation" - rather than "rumor on the canal" (formerly know a as "soi") is so important.

Don Muang people might have accepted this sort of "we know what's best" attitude previously, but things have changed around here in recent years (we've been here nearly 15).

But, it ain't happening.

What we have instead is the local MP Karun, who is a PT, grandstanding and whipping up a frenzy.

I notice in the last few hours, Yingluck has come out and said the Big Bags will not be taken down.

FROC and the BMA are making a big mistake by not explaining to people the issues around the Big Bags.

Wasn't this the same MP who took it upon himself to break down barriers a few weeks ago, accused of placing his name on a truck with donated goods not from him, was eventually transferred from the relief center last week for total incompetence, and just recently, according to the other paper, drove his jet-ski around Don Mueang creating waves which knocked over an evacuees boat sending three people into the filthy waters? In the last event, he did manage to get five stitches on his mouth. Such a shame it wasn't even more and only confined to his mouth.

Tom, I'm sure.I have enormous sympathy with your situation but to allow all that water out unannounced to anyone downstream is a bloody awful thing to do

I have been flooded for 3 weeks in an other area, and i can really understand the stress there. If you want to save an area then at least really compensate the people that are going to be sacrificed.

The rights and wrongs are not for me but opening the sandbags has an impact on other people who should have.a chance to prepare.

But, it ain't happening.

Wasn't this the same MP who took it upon himself to break down barriers a few weeks ago, accused of placing his name on a truck with donated goods not from him, was eventually transferred from the relief center last week for total incompetence, and just recently, according to the other paper, drove his jet-ski around Don Mueang creating waves which knocked over an evacuees boat sending three people into the filthy waters? In the last event, he did manage to get five stitches on his mouth. Such a shame it wasn't even more and only confined to his mouth.

That's our Karun - also involved in that kung <deleted> parliament kick a while back.

Just the sort of guy you want heading up a bunch of goons at a time like this - not!

Both sides (of the political divide) are having enough trouble working with each other, without his antics coming into play!

Edited by RegularReader

I agree, not a nice thing for me to say. Sorry about that! Anyway, hope they can work out a compromise....

The rights and wrongs are not for me but opening the sandbags has an impact on other people

But keeping that has an impact to others (who already got too much, ans still getting daily)

who should have.a chance to prepare.

4 months passed now for the whole soap water opera.

1 month for those on the wet side. Include me.

If they not prepared YET - then they deserve this. Im sorry, but ANYTHING to move this wet shit from my house!!! :annoyed:

They are STILL not prepared...how pathetic. Im going to cry to the cameras.

FYI, those on dry areas not preparing at all - they are playing LoiKratong for example. They simply don't care this all.

Edited by alexakap

I might be wrong, but aren't the big bags in this dispute, along Vivapawadi/Rangsit Road and Khlong Prem ?

Who knows - a coupe of days old map in the Bangkok Post doesn't say much for their competency does it ?

I also confused by this, that's why I asked for more recent map (if any)...

Just wanna see, if this "opening the barrier" will any effect on my house or not.

Im much upper than DonMuang, on the "wet" side anyway - so opening that will defininety help me...or not. But God, please push them to do even ANYTHING.....:annoyed:

Frodo I 100% agree, wondering how many people died due to the Governments total incompetens?