Boom!

gbt71fa

We just received another IDF (Indirect Fire) attack in the form of a 122mm rocket. They got decently close this time, about a Klick out. They're getting their butts kicked a little ways north so they do stuff like this to draw off forces and take pressure from their comrades. It never works but I guess a job is a job. I see so many posts complaining about this or that concerning Thailand and it makes me shake my head. Yes, the country does have some problems but what makes the country so enjoyable are the people and their attitudes toward life. Except for some of the problems in the south, which they better take care of before it spreads, Thailand is a beautiful country. If you modern life then stay where you come from but if you want a paradise, a land of smiles, then come to Thailand. I will be back in another five weeks. It will take more than a few rockets to stop me from returning. Anyways, the bad guys are lousy shots...how can you miss an entire base?! But they always do. Here, nobody smiles. :o

Eh?  Care to give a bit of background to those who haven't read any of your previous 88 posts?

"Steven"

I really can't say too much...I work in a country that had its form of government "changed" by my home country a few years back. Since they have had two elections (with a higher voter turnout than my homeland...that is a little sad) and are slowly become civilization again. I don't want to get into the politics of it, because I really despise politics almost as much as I despise lawyers who become politicians. All that matters, is that things are changing for the better-everything just takes time. BUT...for me, Thailand and my fiance are what keeps me going in this place. I fought here and then came back to rebuild but I don't want to live here. Soon, my time will be up for good and I will return to Thailand for good. The main problem with this country...no beer or red wine and no Thai woman. It almost hurt to say that... :o

Thats putting it in perspective - Keep your head down buddy there are a few cold Chang's with your name on them waiting for you .

Oh , and Thank you

I never tried a Chang believe it or not but I plan on trying a lot of things when I return...like real food. There was a post about fast food and there were those who were bad mouthing its concept. I would kill for a big beef burrito from Taco Bell right about now! Man, try eating massed processed food for four months. Oh yeah, no beer or red wine...nor Thai girls... :o

Paris....??

Nah, not Paris. Here, we fight back. :D

Iraq? Afghanastan(sp)? Or Bellshill Scotland?(Where i come from) Rough place that Bellshill! :D

We're smart enough to know not to mix it up with the Scotts. :o Remember, God created alcohol to keep the Scotts from ruling the world. Here's another one-this place is the birthplace of civilization...believe it or not. I know, I've spen a total of a year here and I still can't believe that one.

Paris....??

Iraq? Afghanastan(sp)? Or Bellshill Scotland?(Where i come from) Rough place that Bellshill! :D

We're smart enough to know not to mix it up with the Scotts. :o Remember, God created alcohol to keep the Scotts from ruling the world. Here's another one-this place is the birthplace of civilization...believe it or not. I know, I've spen a total of a year here and I still can't believe that one.

Definately Scotland then, :D:D

Paris....??

So long as we agree that its not France...sheesh! :D

Definately Scotland then, :D:D

Oh yeah, no beer or red wine...

You're not making your own then?

Anyway good luck, the money must be worth it as long as you come back in one piece.

The Brits and Aussies can get away with that but, NOOOOOO, not us and I am not even in the Army anymore. The first time I was here I was a soldier full you-know-what and vinegar...now I help the boys in other ways. The pay is good, but after seeing Thailand and falling in love with a great Thai girl I find that money isn't everything...no, I really mean it.

Oh yeah, no beer or red wine...

You're not making your own then?

Anyway good luck, the money must be worth it as long as you come back in one piece.

... I find that money isn't everything...no, I really mean it.

I believe you :o It's always better to be rich and living in misery than to be poor and living in misery.

The pay is good, but after seeing Thailand and falling in love with a great Thai girl I find that money isn't everything...no, I really mean it.

But would she have fallen in love with you if you had no money?

If money isn't everything, get the h*ll out, there not making you stay are they?

The pay is good, but after seeing Thailand and falling in love with a great Thai girl I find that money isn't everything...no, I really mean it.

But would she have fallen in love with you if you had no money?

If money isn't everything, get the h*ll out, there not making you stay are they?

I can leave any time I want, actually. My thai girl didn't even know how much I made. When I told her and that I could make us a lot more money if I stayed to work over here she said she didn't care-she just wanted me to come back now and be safe. I will at least finish out my year and maybe still a little longer until I have enough money to my own bar (sports bar) and still have enough to live off of until things get going. She says I can teach and Thailand and that way I would be safe but they don't pay like this job does. :o

We just received another IDF (Indirect Fire) attack in the form of a 122mm rocket.  They got decently close this time, about a Klick out.  They're getting their butts kicked a little ways north so they do stuff like this to draw off forces and take pressure from their comrades.  It never works but I guess a job is a job.  I see so many posts complaining about this or that concerning Thailand and it makes me shake my head.  Yes, the country does have some problems but what makes the country so enjoyable are the people and their attitudes toward life.  Except for some of the problems in the south, which they better take care of before it spreads, Thailand is a beautiful country.  If you modern life then stay where you come from but if you want a paradise, a land of smiles, then come to Thailand.  I will be back in another five weeks.  It will take more than a few rockets to stop me from returning.  Anyways, the bad guys are lousy shots...how can you miss an entire base?!  But they always do.  Here, nobody smiles. :o

Winning more hearts and minds are we, old boy?

We just received another IDF (Indirect Fire) attack in the form of a 122mm rocket.  They got decently close this time, about a Klick out.  They're getting their butts kicked a little ways north so they do stuff like this to draw off forces and take pressure from their comrades.  It never works but I guess a job is a job.  I see so many posts complaining about this or that concerning Thailand and it makes me shake my head.  Yes, the country does have some problems but what makes the country so enjoyable are the people and their attitudes toward life.  Except for some of the problems in the south, which they better take care of before it spreads, Thailand is a beautiful country.  If you modern life then stay where you come from but if you want a paradise, a land of smiles, then come to Thailand.  I will be back in another five weeks.  It will take more than a few rockets to stop me from returning.  Anyways, the bad guys are lousy shots...how can you miss an entire base?!  But they always do.  Here, nobody smiles. :o

Winning more hearts and minds are we, old boy?

Most around here, we do "win their hearts and minds". Most trouble makers are from across the border. With them, we just want to show them theirs hearts...right before they die. I tagged that from a movie line I think. :D

gbt71fa Would it be considered inappropriate to ask who is footing the bill for your internet access? And a follow-on question would be, what are the rules regarding the personal use of internet access with whomever your current employer is?

I just read this article in the New York Times (registration required, excerpt below) and am a bit surprised at the greed of fellow Americans, considering it is an active war zone. I guess not all this money is making into the efforts in Iraq? I would hope these people are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Issuing Contracts, Ex-Convict Took Bribes in Iraq, U.S. Says

By JAMES GLANZ

Published: November 18, 2005

A North Carolina man who was charged yesterday with accepting kickbacks and bribes as a comptroller and financial officer for the American occupation authority in Iraq was hired despite having served prison time for felony fraud in the 1990's.

The job gave the man, Robert J. Stein, control over $82 million in cash earmarked for Iraqi rebuilding projects.

Along with a web of other conspirators who have not yet been named, Mr. Stein and his wife received "bribes, kickbacks and gratuities amounting to at least $200,000 per month" to steer lucrative construction contracts to companies run by another American, Philip H. Bloom, an affidavit outlining the criminal complaint says. Mr. Stein's wife, who was not named, has not been charged with wrongdoing in the case; Mr. Bloom was charged with a range of crimes on Wednesday.

In the staccato language of the affidavit, filed in Federal District Court in the District of Columbia, Mr. Stein, 50, was charged with wire fraud, conspiracy, interstate transportation of stolen property and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

But the list of charges does little justice to the astonishing brazenness of the accusations described in the complaint, including a wire transfer of a $140,000 bribe, arranged by Mr. Bloom, to buy real estate for Mr. Stein in North Carolina. The affidavit also says that $65,762.63 was spent to buy cars for Mr. Stein and his wife (he bought a Chevrolet; she a Toyota), $44,471 for home improvements and $48,073 for jewelry, out of $258,000 sent directly to the Bragg Mutual Federal Credit Union into accounts controlled by the Steins.

Mr. Stein's wife even used $7,151.58 of the money for a "towing service," the complaint says. Much of this money was intended for Iraqi construction projects like building a new police academy in the ancient city of Babylon and rehabilitating the library in Karbala, the southern city that is among the holiest sites for Shiite Muslims.

After Mr. Stein awarded contracts for this work to Mr. Bloom, who eventually received at least $3.5 million himself, according to the complaint, the work often was not performed or was done shoddily, the prosecutors say.

Mr. Stein was arrested in North Carolina on Monday, the Justice Department said in a statement. He appeared in court on Tuesday, represented by Jane Pearce, an assistant federal public defender in North Carolina's Eastern District, said Elizabeth Luck, a spokeswoman for the office. The Eastern District includes Fayetteville, where Mr. Stein is listed as a homeowner.

Beyond confirming Mr. Stein's appearance in court, "we do not comment on pending litigation in this office," Ms. Luck said, adding that she could not say whether Mr. Stein planned to retain a private lawyer.

Little is known about Mr. Stein except that he served in the Army and was convicted in federal court in 1996 for "access device fraud," a felony. Court papers show he was sentenced to eight months in prison and ordered to pay $45,339.25 in restitution.

Paris....??

When I was a kid we moved from Govan out to the more sedate and gentil country-side......Easterhouse :D:o

Paris....??

When I was a kid we moved from Govan out to the more sedate and gentil country-side......Easterhouse :D:o

The Vatican recently changed government didn't it... Could he be in the Vatican?

Is the pope footing his internet bill?

Ah HAHAHAHAH The plot thickens.

Chok Dii to you man * good luck ) and keep smiling... the changs will stay cold, and the thai girls warm for you.

Most around here, we do "win their hearts and minds". Most trouble makers are from across the border. With them, we just want to show them theirs hearts...right before they die. I tagged that from a movie line I think. :D

From a ######ing movie :o What ######ing world are you living in you jerk off :D You may be a rear echelon blanket counter / computer data imputer / non-combatant type of prick, but you DO NOT represent the reality of what is REALLY happening there. My Godness, you had a 122mm shell go off about 1 KLm from you :D You must have been really shitting yourself. You are certainly a different kinda cat than the ones I worked with on active sevice.

He must have liked it so much the first time around that he went back to earn more money repairing the damage he did the first time.

I don't wish anyone ill so lets' hope that he has more luck than the Brit who left his wife in Thailand to earn big bucks over there. I don't think his body has been found yet. Get back to Thailand safely, fellow member, and buy everyone a beer so that they will listen to your fascinating stories. But please don't come near me because 'gung ho' stuff is of no interest.

gbt71fa Would it be considered inappropriate to ask who is footing the bill for your internet access? And a follow-on question would be, what are the rules regarding the personal use of internet access with whomever your current employer is?

I just read this article in the New York Times (registration required, excerpt below) and am a bit surprised at the greed of fellow Americans, considering it is an active war zone. I guess not all this money is making into the efforts in Iraq? I would hope these people are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Issuing Contracts, Ex-Convict Took Bribes in Iraq, U.S. Says

By JAMES GLANZ

Published: November 18, 2005

A North Carolina man who was charged yesterday with accepting kickbacks and bribes as a comptroller and financial officer for the American occupation authority in Iraq was hired despite having served prison time for felony fraud in the 1990's.

The job gave the man, Robert J. Stein, control over $82 million in cash earmarked for Iraqi rebuilding projects.

Along with a web of other conspirators who have not yet been named, Mr. Stein and his wife received "bribes, kickbacks and gratuities amounting to at least $200,000 per month" to steer lucrative construction contracts to companies run by another American, Philip H. Bloom, an affidavit outlining the criminal complaint says. Mr. Stein's wife, who was not named, has not been charged with wrongdoing in the case; Mr. Bloom was charged with a range of crimes on Wednesday.

In the staccato language of the affidavit, filed in Federal District Court in the District of Columbia, Mr. Stein, 50, was charged with wire fraud, conspiracy, interstate transportation of stolen property and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

But the list of charges does little justice to the astonishing brazenness of the accusations described in the complaint, including a wire transfer of a $140,000 bribe, arranged by Mr. Bloom, to buy real estate for Mr. Stein in North Carolina. The affidavit also says that $65,762.63 was spent to buy cars for Mr. Stein and his wife (he bought a Chevrolet; she a Toyota), $44,471 for home improvements and $48,073 for jewelry, out of $258,000 sent directly to the Bragg Mutual Federal Credit Union into accounts controlled by the Steins.

Mr. Stein's wife even used $7,151.58 of the money for a "towing service," the complaint says. Much of this money was intended for Iraqi construction projects like building a new police academy in the ancient city of Babylon and rehabilitating the library in Karbala, the southern city that is among the holiest sites for Shiite Muslims.

After Mr. Stein awarded contracts for this work to Mr. Bloom, who eventually received at least $3.5 million himself, according to the complaint, the work often was not performed or was done shoddily, the prosecutors say.

Mr. Stein was arrested in North Carolina on Monday, the Justice Department said in a statement. He appeared in court on Tuesday, represented by Jane Pearce, an assistant federal public defender in North Carolina's Eastern District, said Elizabeth Luck, a spokeswoman for the office. The Eastern District includes Fayetteville, where Mr. Stein is listed as a homeowner.

Beyond confirming Mr. Stein's appearance in court, "we do not comment on pending litigation in this office," Ms. Luck said, adding that she could not say whether Mr. Stein planned to retain a private lawyer.

Little is known about Mr. Stein except that he served in the Army and was convicted in federal court in 1996 for "access device fraud," a felony. Court papers show he was sentenced to eight months in prison and ordered to pay $45,339.25 in restitution.

there are 50,000 of us "non-military" personnel over here now. You are always going to have bad eggs-every now and then you read of pedophiles being busted in pattaya or some other spot in Thailand...are you one of those pedos? Of course not-the bad eggs are taken care of here. If you noticed, they are caught. My company "foots" our internet access because it is a little hard to send reports by auto around here-my company is world-wide and even is assisting in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in the U.S. Yes, I make a lot more money than you :o ... a LOT more money than you and that is because I have the background and skills that are needed over here. Some are born for battle and others...well, that is what adult diapers are for. As the kids say these days "Hate the game, not the player".

Paris....??

Yeah, right, I've seen you guys after a night of soccer...I mean footie and you make U.S. Army Rangers looks choir boys :D

From a ######ing movie :o What ######ing world are you living in you jerk off :D You may be a rear echelon blanket counter / computer data imputer / non-combatant type of prick, but you DO NOT represent the reality of what is REALLY happening there. My Godness, you had a 122mm shell go off about 1 KLm from you :D You must have been really shitting yourself. You are certainly a different kinda cat than the ones I worked with on active sevice.

I'm former artillery man, Captain Chaos. Booms mean nothing to us. I spent three weeks charging across this country providing fires for V Corps, which also included the Marines. I spend another five months providing security operations between Baghdad and Tikrit. A Klik out ain't nothin', hardcore. If you don't get dirt on you then it ain't close. Besides, if you can see it, you can detect it, then you can counter-fire it...no more bad guy. It was a rocket, not a shell. They're too afraid to get close enough to fire mortars at us. And I hate computers, Superman. Only the dead shat themselves, by the way, the living just have momentary loss of bowel functions. The second most exciting experience of my life was combat and the first...falling in love with a Thai girl. War is for the young and the bold and I am no longer that young or that bold. It will always be a part of me but stoney lads like you wouldn't understand. And I thought I had issues...don't worry, son, you can always read about it in books.

He must have liked it so much the first time around that he went back to earn more money repairing the damage he did the first time.

I don't wish anyone ill so lets' hope that he has more luck than the Brit who left his wife in Thailand to earn big bucks over there. I don't think his body has been found yet. Get back to Thailand safely, fellow member, and buy everyone a beer so that they will listen to your fascinating stories. But please don't come near me because 'gung ho' stuff is of no interest.

I am not that gung-ho anymore. Just think of it this way...sometimes, you get used to certain things and it doesn't bother you anymore, maybe just a little but that is why you never count the days until you leave.