PM Yingluck's Gaffe - Remember Your Lines

webfact

Must be a quiet day if her slip of the tongue is the talk of the town

For political language gaffs i suggest

G.W.Bush - nuff said (and i won't even go into HRH Prince Phillip and his use of language)

Absolutely spot on.

Imagine if Bush was still in power. He would have mobilized all troops.

jb1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pointing the finger at the PM for incorrect English is ironic comming from the Nation. There is certainly a campaign against her in the media. Also moaned at this week for not attending the amnysty meeting, if she had they would have claimed she was only going to help her brother get a pardon. I have even seen her criticised on TV for having her hair done and putting make up on before a flood visit, looked just normal to me. Poor woman is damned if she does and damned if she don't.

Same same. 99% of China, Japanese & Australia PMs don't speak good English if at all. It fact, most have worst English than YS. Yet they are SUPER powers.

Maybe in next PM acceptance citeria, Candidates should required to have a TOEIC 550 cert; just like in many semi-govt companies like PTT & TG.

Australia?

jb1

Pointing the finger at the PM for incorrect English is ironic comming from the Nation. There is certainly a campaign against her in the media. Also moaned at this week for not attending the amnysty meeting, if she had they would have claimed she was only going to help her brother get a pardon. I have even seen her criticised on TV for having her hair done and putting make up on before a flood visit, looked just normal to me. Poor woman is damned if she does and damned if she don't.

Does seem a bit over the top to squeeze a whole article out of it but it seems to be any excuse for The Nation, the bastion of accuracy in the english language, to have a go at the PM.

I also noticed they managed to compare her english skills to Abhisit and praised his english skills without managing to mention the fact that he is actually English by birth and was brought up in England.

Same same. 99% of China, Japanese & Australia PMs don't speak good English if at all. It fact, most have worst English than YS. Yet they are SUPER powers.

Maybe in next PM acceptance citeria, Candidates should required to have a TOEIC 550 cert; just like in many semi-govt companies like PTT & TG.

Australia?

jb1

Yes. It is no typo. Go ask any English man. Any.

Australia?

jb1

Yes. It is no typo. Go ask any English man. Any.

OK I'm English???

Here is the video of the event:

I think the government originally thought that showing Yingluck next to the US Secretary of State would be good PR. Instead it has completely backfired and shows that she does not belong in the league of world leaders. She couldn't even read the script properly. Other good public speakers wouldn't even need a script to read from.

It's surprising to see that Clinton immediately answered the first question even though it was addressed to Yingluck and that the question was regarding an issue that is internal to Thailand (reconciliation, pardon for Thaksin), and this may be because Clinton knows that Yingluck is incapable. Yingluck still made an attempt to answer the question afterward, and this revealed her true public speaking skills - embarrassing.

Also, it's not just her lack of English communication skills or the poor manner in which she talks that is the problem, but the lack of substance in what she says (when not reading from a script). I think she has a problem in formulating coherent thoughts. Is this the best person that Thailand could find to lead the country?

If you watch the video clip carefully, the reporter's question was two parts- first one for Clinton, second one for Yingluck. So Clinton responding first to her question seemed appropriate to me. Not because Yingluck was unqualified in Clinton's mind based on your interpretation, although she may not be adept.

Edited by sbk

One off topic post removed

And one post edited as were responses to that post. There really is no need to resort to sad derogatory comments about the PM. If you can't post without resorting to insults then do not post at all.

I think the government originally thought that showing Yingluck next to the US Secretary of State would be good PR. Instead it has completely backfired and shows that she does not belong in the league of world leaders. She couldn't even read the script properly. Other good public speakers wouldn't even need a script to read from.

It's surprising to see that Clinton immediately answered the first question even though it was addressed to Yingluck and that the question was regarding an issue that is internal to Thailand (reconciliation, pardon for Thaksin), and this may be because Clinton knows that Yingluck is incapable. Yingluck still made an attempt to answer the question afterward, and this revealed her true public speaking skills - embarrassing.

Also, it's not just her lack of English communication skills or the poor manner in which she talks that is the problem, but the lack of substance in what she says (when not reading from a script). I think she has a problem in formulating coherent thoughts. Is this the best person that Thailand could find to lead the country?

If you watch the video clip carefully, the reporter's question was two parts- first one for Clinton, second one for Yingluck. So Clinton responding first to her question seemed appropriate to me. Not because Yingluck was unqualified in Clinton's mind based on your interpretation, although she may not be adept.

Someone like Sondhi leading yellow shirts and village scouts to close down Thailand's airport, a major international hub for almost two weeks, and the military and government standing by doing nothing is more of an embarrassment than Yingluck. The military killing and beating lots of Thammasat students on more than one occasion is more embarrasing han Yingluck. Just my 2 cents.

Someone like Sondhi leading yellow shirts and village scouts to close down Thailand's airport, a major international hub for almost two weeks, and the military and government standing by doing nothing is more of an embarrassment than Yingluck. The military killing and beating lots of Thammasat students on more than one occasion is more embarrasing han Yingluck. Just my 2 cents.

Get the maths right. The PAD only close the airport(s) for 9 days. 9 days is not almost 2 weeks as claimed.

G.W.Bush - nuff said (and i won't even go into HRH Prince Phillip and his use of language)

You have inadvertently placed her on the same podium with 2 stupid and thick "silly old duffers" by comparing Yingluck to these two prattish twerps!!!!:blink:.

It makes a pleasant change to be able to talk about royalty in this way without any danger of incurring the wrath of the moderators :jap:.

Give her a break. It was welcome, but mispronounced. This forum has many threads poking fun at Thai mispronounciations. Also, EVERYONE knows she's in way over her head and shouldn't be in the position in the first place. Public speaking is obviously difficult for her and her brother should be blamed for putting her in position for her painful attempts to explain things that she has no apparent expertise or knowledge about. Lastly, 'english' in Kentucky is very different than normal english and could explain ...something?

well if that just wasn't the most ridiculous press conference I've ever seen. Not one question was answered, Hillary did all the talking, and Yingluck obviously is clueless. I find it very hard to believe this person holds a master's degree from the US. I totally understand why Yingluck at all cost avoids having to be in a position where she would be supposed to say something intelligent. Good luck Thailand, I cannot share your laughter, ship of fools.

I think it's a bit rough to have a shot at the PM's English skills. One could say that she was brave to "have a go" at doing it in English. Perhaps, in hind-sight, she should have done it in Thai, and let the government spokesperson do the English translation.

I am a bit surprised to see that she has a Masters from Ken State though. :o

Wonder how much Thai Hirrally has at her command.

Is there any reason in the world other than living in Thailand or being an Ambassador to Thailand to learn the Thai language? <_<

Being married to a Thai?

I think it's a bit rough to have a shot at the PM's English skills. One could say that she was brave to "have a go" at doing it in English. Perhaps, in hind-sight, she should have done it in Thai, and let the government spokesperson do the English translation.

That is strange indeed if you don't speak good English (assuming the course was in English)

Thanks, I've always ended up on the floor laughing and pissin' myself at this pic of Georgie!! Made my morning!

That picture was about 1 minute after he was informed about the 9/11 plane #1 hitting the World Trade Center.

He clearly was befuddle.

Get the maths right. The PAD only close the airport(s) for 9 days. 9 days is not almost 2 weeks as claimed.

Plus (3) three days cleanup nd security checkout - 9, 12, what's the difference? 1-2 days, 9 days is just as bad as 12 - I am certain that it was a month before international operations from many countries and tourists got back on board. You seem to miss the key point of international embarrassment which is the focus of the discussion and examples. What's wrong with you starting a debate about 9 days or almost two weeks without considering the aftermath days?

The interesting thing is that people chose to comment on this rather than the very very strong backing the US gave publically to this government and to the notion of civilian government which is not really being touched upon inspite of being highly noticeable.

That is strange indeed if you don't speak good English (assuming the course was in English)

No idea what language they speak in Kentucky, but rumour has it Sarah Palin once said "If we hadn't won our independence we'd all be speaking English now" :whistling:

The interesting thing is that people chose to comment on this rather than the very very strong backing the US gave publically to this government and to the notion of civilian government which is not really being touched upon inspite of being highly noticeable.

USA bashing is out-of-season. Also what do Americans know about democracy for the people :rolleyes:

Do you SERIOUSLY think that dear old Hillary can reveal her true and innermost thoughts on Yingluck's "ugly performance" so far, on the diplomatic and political stage?????:whistling:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE