Looking For An Old Thread

ExpatOilWorker

You could start a new thread about the same topic.

Sure, but sometimes it is better to read old stories than creating new once.

It was really a rich thread, with some good posting of why different people could or could not live in the village.

EOX I have a blog about how I ended up in a village, might be of some interest. Jim

http://jamescollister.blogspot.com/

Just read the old thread.

Jesus H Christ, so it's not only me then.

After 4 years of effort, I'm on the verge of "run away".

Leech family of girlfriend, recent "verbals" with same; and now I've bannished 14 year old daughter of girlfriend back to grand parents from where she came due to lies, breakages and thefts.

Rule 10 of my ten commandments for reducing stress states;

ESPECIALLY, THOU SHALT NOT BE THINE OWN WORSE ENEMY, BUT SHALL BE THINE OWN BEST FRIEND.

Amen to that.

I have been living in a small Moo Ban for the last 7 years.

From 2004 until 2009 I used to work offshore anywhere from 3 to 6 months and in 2008/9 I was away for a year until I retired after 50 years of work.

I love it up here and I know a lot of the local Thais but it seems that more know me.

Every time I go to the big village of Klong Lan, a lot of shops, 2 ATM plus the 7/11 most of the kids I see wave and smile as do a lot of the adults.

I know what you mean about the chickens as I am an offender in that but to be fair this is a rural farming area.

Somebody has bypassed the loudspeakers on the lamp post outside so I never hear them.

I sort of keep country hours and Monday to Friday I am usually up at 5 am to get ready to send our son to school 45 km away just after 6. He gets home around 6 pm, he eats, does his homework, has a shower and goes to bed around 8 pm and my wife goes about that time too. I am usually in bed around 9 pm.

At the weekend I generally have a lie in until 6.30 and the wife and son rot in bed until 8 or so.

Most days I spend a couple of hours in the morning cutting down the grass and scrub, shower and eat lunch.

After that I am on line for 2 or 3 hours, have a 30 minute sleep and do any other odd jobs, then shave and shower ready to eat dinner and drink 2 or 3 Sang Soms with ice and soda and its Boinngg said Zebedee, time for bed.

Out here most people are polite and friendly and usually smile at me.

I pay the same price that Thais do in the local markets.

Several times I have walked away and left money behind only to have people chase after me and return it. Once I forgot to pay and the girl reminded me next time I was in there.

Twice I have lost money 10,000 baht but that was on market days and the money never turned up though the second time the money bag, cards and licences were returned a few days later but sadly not the money. Now I just don't take much with me any more.

In my 67 years of life I have lived and worked in 38 countries living i cities, towns and villages. I have lived in military camps, houses, caravans, hotels etc.

Back in 1999 I chose to break with the UK and make Thailand my home and now out here is where I am happiest.

Going back to live in a city! I hope you have a lot of money to pay me because I won't be going voluntarily?

I note with surprise you get up at 5am to get your Son ready for school. That’s quite admirable because my wife looks after those things for our two sons. Mind you, they only have a couple of kilometers to travel. 45 kilometers for your son everyday is amazing! I guess you live miles from anywhere? I rise around 6 o’clock and have got used to the headman’s babbling on the loudspeakers. My lifestyle is a bit similar other than that. I’m also 67 years old, and from the UK. Mind you, the wife does the market shopping in the neighboring larger village, so to date I haven’t been overcharged or lost any money. I go with her to town once a month for the major shop at Big C.

Similar to you, I’ve lived here, there and everywhere around the world over the years, and have lived in our village for three years so far. Unlike many farangs, my budget doesn’t allow a car – we just have a motorbike for local journeys, and use public transport to get to town 30 kilometers away. This means our getaways from the rural lifestyle are very few and far between. Of course I sometimes wish I was more financially flexible, but apart from that at my age and in these circumstances I don’t know of a better option, or where else I could have a reasonable lifestyle, comfortable home, good wife and good Thai family who don’t interfere or demand anything.

I think this is the one you refer to,

http://www.thaivisa....erable-for-you/

Dont think the poor guy made it, believe he left a while back, Thailand aint for everyone.

YES, that is the one. Thanks a lot rgs...:jap:

Expat O.W.

Just drifted by this post and wanted to say how much fun it is to read over the many posts that were made on the older post you were searching for.. The goods and the bads...all are good comments.

I'm currently in the US on some personal business, after having been in the "village" for two straight years and I have to say I miss it a lot. I like the pooyai and the speakers, but I'm an early riser and it doesn't bother me. I like the nosy neighbors because I keep our space separate. I like the noise, usually, because it means things are happening...never bored. I don't like the smoke and the smells, but what can you do? These people have been doing this for 3000 years, can we change them now? Should we change them now? Will they change now?

I'm not sure why you asked to re-do that thread, perhaps you want to live the village life? You've gotten some very good advice and opinions, so think it through. It's not the same as anything else you might have experienced, and that's a good thing for most people. The original poster, Lopburi99, had some problems with the noise and the boredom. Here in the good old USA today I've got some problems because it's really quiet and really boring and I really miss my family.

Sometimes it's different things for different people, I hope you can reach your balance and make a choice that fits you.

Thanks very much for taking me back to that thread, I recall it very well as I was deciding my future at the time.

mario299 :)

I think this is the one you refer to,

http://www.thaivisa....erable-for-you/

Dont think the poor guy made it, believe he left a while back, Thailand aint for everyone.

YES, that is the one. Thanks a lot rgs...:jap:

Expat O.W.

Just drifted by this post and wanted to say how much fun it is to read over the many posts that were made on the older post you were searching for.. The goods and the bads...all are good comments.

I'm currently in the US on some personal business, after having been in the "village" for two straight years and I have to say I miss it a lot. I like the pooyai and the speakers, but I'm an early riser and it doesn't bother me. I like the nosy neighbors because I keep our space separate. I like the noise, usually, because it means things are happening...never bored. I don't like the smoke and the smells, but what can you do? These people have been doing this for 3000 years, can we change them now? Should we change them now? Will they change now?

I'm not sure why you asked to re-do that thread, perhaps you want to live the village life? You've gotten some very good advice and opinions, so think it through. It's not the same as anything else you might have experienced, and that's a good thing for most people. The original poster, Lopburi99, had some problems with the noise and the boredom. Here in the good old USA today I've got some problems because it's really quiet and really boring and I really miss my family.

Sometimes it's different things for different people, I hope you can reach your balance and make a choice that fits you.

Thanks very much for taking me back to that thread, I recall it very well as I was deciding my future at the time.

mario299 :)

For now I live in the heart of Bangkok, but I find the rural village life interesting, especially because it is so deeply rooted in Thai culture. I have only been exposed to village life in small doses, but I plan a road trip to explore that side of Thailand a bit more.

Reading the old thread is really an eye-opener, so I know what to expect and look for.