Regional Banking

UOB in Singapore says I must have not only ID, but also a letter of reference from my current bank or the same from an existing customer of their bank. Plus an in-person visit. Going to SNG is not a problem, but the first two are. I explained to UOB, and objected, telling them that banks do not like to recommend their customers take their business elsewhere, and besides it compromises my privacy.

Looks like they are not welcoming off the street business. This is despite being willing to deposit C$100,000. Not sure I told them that and if I did whether that is better or worse!

My experience 8 years ago is that Standard and Chartered branches all refused to open on a tourist visa - except the last branch I visited. So, obviously it is discretionary.

Before we get into who offers the best service, best rates for what service, highest interest on term deposits, etc I would love to hear form persons familiar with the offshore jurisdictions of Singapore and Hong Kong as to where it is fast, easy and simple to open an account (with debit card and online banking).

I will open a Thai bank account if I find one that is welcoming, just for petty cash, but I trust serious financial nations such as Hong Kong and Singapore more. For language and accessible reasons I prefer Singapore.

Who do you bank with in Thailand? When I moved from Thailand to Singapore, HSBC TH provided a very simple reference letter saying I'd been their customer in BKK for 5 years, and I had these types of accounts, and the HSBC SG account was opened within an hour of me going in to the branch.

If you don't live and work in Singapore, I don't think you can have cheque books or (maybe) credit cards, but pretty sure opening a savings account should be possible.

CC

• 3 months later...

'Soutpeel' wrote

"I opened a US$ cheque account in Singapore within 2 hours with Citibank international ..."

Congratulations. Seriously.

I just prefer to bank at an independent bank that does not have branches in USA,pferably no where outside its own nation of incorporation and activity (or its gold in the USA - stupid Swiss government). Which reminds me, I should move my funds from BKK Bank into another Thai bank for that reason. Thank you for the reminder.