Phuket Mob Rises After Accident Kills Two

Lite Beer

Phuket mob rises after accident kills two

phuket-1-11474PlmNfrcgYllsnEKxHLKEdgMawv.jpg

The driver of the pickup truck, heading towards Phuket Town, allegedly lost control on the curve in the rain and collided with the motorbike. Photo: Wichai Wittawat

phuket-4-11474mNhDsHTsiYaYDmbJqCKbumhBNM.jpg

Phuket Vice Governor Somkiet Sangkaosuttirak addresses the mob that massed on Thepkrasattri Road, forcing traffic to a standstill. Photo: Wichai Wittawat

PHUKET: Phuket’s top officials have called an emergency meeting today to discuss new strategies for road safety at the Kor En curve on Thepkrasattri Road after an accident there yesterday killed one woman and an infant on a motorbike.

The curve, on the main road from Phuket Airport to the main resort areas on the island and Phuket Town, was the scene of a fatal accident in 2006 that sparked a mob closure of the road and the ensuing 15-million-baht reshaping of the curve to make it safer.

Tah Chat Chai Police Duty Officer Lt Col Watcharin Jiratikarnwiwat said he received a report of the accident yesterday at 5:10pm.

At the scene was a four-door Toyota Vigo pickup truck that had slammed into a motorbike lying smashed nearby.

Of the three who were on the motorbike, 47-year-old local resident Malai Kaewkluan was pronounced dead at the scene.

Saijai Boontaeng, 31, and a boy aged two to three years old, were rushed to Thalang Hospital.

The boy was reported to have died from his injuries this morning.

No injuries of the occupants traveling in the Toyota Vigo pickup truck were reported.

“Villagers said that the truck was traveling toward Phuket Town and the driver lost control in the rain. The pickup then collided with the motorbike that was joining the main road,” Lt Col Watcharin said.

The accident sparked a mob of hundreds of people demanding government action to make the road safer.

As they did in 2006, the villagers yesterday overran Thepkrasattri Road, forcing traffic on Phuket’s major artery to a standstill.

The mob disbanded at about 7:45pm after Phuket Vice Governor Somkiat Sangkaosuttirak and Phuket MP Raywat Areerob arrived to hear the villagers’ grievances in person.

“The curve has caused so many accidents in the past four years that it is now called the ‘100 bodies’ Curve’,” said Vice Governor Somkiat.

He said he agreed with the villagers’ proposal to install a concrete barrier to restrict southbound traffic to one lane.

However, he said he would raise the villagers’ alternative suggestion – of installing two more southbound lanes at the curve – at the meeting today.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11474.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-11-21

Can someone let me know where this curve is?

Of course the road and conditions are to blame. Nothing to do with speed, lack of driver training or taking young kids on motorbikes in the rain.

I really don't understand the seemingly contradictory last two paragraphs of the article, which is why I am intereted to know the curve in question.

Of course the road and conditions are to blame. Nothing to do with speed, lack of driver training or taking young kids on motorbikes in the rain.

I really don't understand the seemingly contradictory last two paragraphs of the article, which is why I am intereted to know the curve in question.

entrance to the marina close by.

It used to be a terrible curve, it is 15 million baht later a bad curve, while most Highway curves in Th can be done at 160kmh, this is a tough one at 120kmh on dry road without needing to use both lanes

taking young kids on motorikes in the rain is what +10million Thais do every day its raining. Its the infrastructure of thailand

of course its terrible driving causing these accidents, not the road. The road has lit signs stating sharp curve

Do you mean Yacht Haven marina ? Must admit that the news article stated the road from Phuket Airport to Phuket Town. That bend is well past (North) of the airport. Makes for some confusion.

Do you mean Yacht Haven marina ? Must admit that the news article stated the road from Phuket Airport to Phuket Town. That bend is well past (North) of the airport. Makes for some confusion.

thats the marina name I could not recall, and I just read it in the other news site

thats the marina name I could not recall, and I just read it in the other news site

about one and a half kilometers south of the Heroines Monument beside what looks like the large Taoist temple is about the sharpest curve around and they have lots of deadly crashes there. Once a week it seems. Still not sure if thats the place though but it's the only sharp curve.Another factor there is the U-turn and the bikes trying to get ALL the way across to a small soi. Who knows?

Edited by bunta71

A bit ambiguous to be sure as the reporter must consider the main resort areas to be north of the airport. "The curve, on the main road from Phuket Airport to the main resort areas on the island and Phuket Town" but I am sure it is the marina curve.

well first it wasnt raining yesterday and second there has been like 4 accidents last night on that road so i guess the reporter as usual is confused and just taking bits and pieces from reports and pasting them in english.

One of the accident was on the curve to the bypass, as usual an idiot cut by the third or 4th lane and drove into oncoming traffic just so he wouldnt have to wait in queue.. that might be the one they mean?

well first it wasnt raining yesterday and second there has been like 4 accidents last night on that road so i guess the reporter as usual is confused and just taking bits and pieces from reports and pasting them in english.

One of the accident was on the curve to the bypass, as usual an idiot cut by the third or 4th lane and drove into oncoming traffic just so he wouldnt have to wait in queue.. that might be the one they mean?

It was raining yesterday.

A bit ambiguous to be sure as the reporter must consider the main resort areas to be north of the airport. "The curve, on the main road from Phuket Airport to the main resort areas on the island and Phuket Town" but I am sure it is the marina curve.

there is only one curve on this Highway where cars used to fly off from the Highway and park in the middle of a muslim village, the Yacht Haven Marina curve

15 million baht made the curve faster. Safer would need better drivers and fear of legal system punishment for killing others

there is only one curve on this Highway where cars used to fly off from the Highway and park in the middle of a muslim village, the Yacht Haven Marina curve

15 million baht made the curve faster. Safer would need better drivers and fear of legal system punishment for killing others

meh dont forget the other curve where the bypass joins that road northbound. ppl fly off there without looking as well. Same with heroine monument which you never know if its open or closed

That's the real point. As well as caring for others.

Pretty effective video of text and driving. This could be expanded to any kind of "i don't give a fuc_k of others" situations.

And that curve is on the way from the airport to the main resort area and Phuket Town?

And that curve is on the way from the airport to the main resort area and Phuket Town?

No but this accident was in that curve near ban khor en village/ marina.

Everyone there knows how the people in ban khor en are and whose fault it was :whistling:...........