I Just Saw A Doner Kebob :)

Awohalitsiktoli

I rarely go to Walking Street, but walked by today and right near the entrance I noticed a Doner Kebob. I asked the owner and he said it was "lamb." I asked him if he used pita bread (which I hate) and he said, I think, "no." It was 80 baht. No, I did not eat one. I am waiting on reviews. Good? Bad? Did it taste anything like a gyro? Get sick? Oddly enough, on the same day I saw another Doner Kebob near the police booth in Jomtien. It looks like it is upstairs, but did not go up to see. Any good? I am searching for something like a real gyro which seems impossible to find in Thailand.

Do you mean that Turkish place on Pattaya Tai? Anyway, the big Turk there told me it was actually a MIX of beef and lamb. The bread is like a lavash thin wrap type bread I think and they also offer a big sandwich on a baguette like roll. I've eaten there a few times. It's OK. Probably not exactly what you're looking for. If you like kebabs, have you tried some of the Iranian places in town? Generally beef kebabs but also chicken cooked with saffron which is yummy. All served with excellent Persian style rice.

Lovely UK stylie Doner Kebab at The Punch and Judy, washed down with a nice pint of Stella.

Jimmy

Now I am wondering how many people have seen the place I am talking about. I saw it for the first time today. From Royal Garden on the beach road you come to the Walking Street sign and turn left and it is right there (near Subway and across from that German place). It almost looked like a gyro meat but not sure about the spices. Actually the chicken kebobs are all over the place and are OK, but I am looking for a gyro or gyro-type kebob. No, I do not mean the Turkish place but thanks for tip on Iranian food (I have seen at least two of those places sprout up lately). Thanks for tip about Punch and Judy. Somebody eat at that kebob place near walking street. I think the name of the place is Donner Kebob. If you survive, please report back :)

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Now I am wondering how many people have seen the place I am talking about. I saw it for the first time today. From Royal Garden on the beach road you come to the Walking Street sign and turn left and it is right there (near Subway and across from that German place).

That IS the Turkish place I was talking about. It's a very narrow hole in the wall. They sport the Turkish flag. There is a sign saying donner kebob. Oy vey!

There are a number of identifiably Turkish places now in the general area, but based on your directions, we are talking about the same place.

Edited by Jingthing

Now I am wondering how many people have seen the place I am talking about. I saw it for the first time today. From Royal Garden on the beach road you come to the Walking Street sign and turn left and it is right there (near Subway and across from that German place).

That IS the Turkish place I was talking about. It's a very narrow hole in the wall. They sport the Turkish flag. There is a sign saying donner kebob. Oy vey!

There are a number of identifiably Turkish places now in the general area, but based on your directions, we are talking about the same place.

Sorry, I was actually on my way home and only spent a total of 60 seconds there. Maybe I did not see the name of the place and saw what they serve instead. It is likely, given your comment, that it is the same place. They had two logs, one chicken and the other lamb, the latter looking very much like a gyro log--very juicy and not quite done when I was there (think they just opened). It shocked me because I have never seen a gyro-like (lamb) kebob log in Thailand. Hopefully they are using Turkish/Greek style bread and not pita.

I LOVE Kebobs... I usually eat them from the carts that are all around town. I have never gotten sick from any of them... VERY TASTY. The one or two occasions that I have bought them from a shop, I have found them to NOT taste as good as the ones from the carts.

Lovely UK stylie Doner Kebab at The Punch and Judy, washed down with a nice pint of Stella.

Jimmy

Now I am wondering how many people have seen the place I am talking about. I saw it for the first time today. From Royal Garden on the beach road you come to the Walking Street sign and turn left and it is right there (near Subway and across from that German place). It almost looked like a gyro meat but not sure about the spices. Actually the chicken kebobs are all over the place and are OK, but I am looking for a gyro or gyro-type kebob. No, I do not mean the Turkish place but thanks for tip on Iranian food (I have seen at least two of those places sprout up lately). Thanks for tip about Punch and Judy. Somebody eat at that kebob place near walking street. I think the name of the place is Donner Kebob. If you survive, please report back :)

Are talking about the place that obstructs the pathway, along with the utility pole ?

If so, I won't buy there because I wonder how many people have been burned by the hot gas fired skewer trying to get around the utility pole

That one spot, IMHO, highlights exactly what is wrong with Thailand:

Who owns the sidewalks ?

Edited by Langsuan Man

Oddly enough, on the same day I saw another Doner Kebob near the police booth in Jomtien

Anybody tried this place yet?

I have tried this. It is owned by the kebab shop on the right side of the 7eleven which is located across the street (from police station view). My lady's brother currently works for the guy and I was shocked at how they treat food hygiene. Sometimes the kebab bikes are taken home by the Thai workers and basically just parked outside. No cooling, no meat protection (any fly can have all kebab he wants). I was once offered a free kebab by the owner, but after what I knew, I kindly refused, stating I am vegetarian (didnt want to insult him). I don't know the quality inside the shop building itself, but if a business owner allows his workers to treat the food like this I can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

If your talking about Istanbul Kebab, they really are a very nice snack on yer way home, Ive eaten the lamb in there twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it both times, hygiene standards looked pretty good as well

I'm looking forward to another next week :)

I like Istanbul kebab, and usually drop by for a lamb doner whenever I am filling my boots in Walking Street. It's run by a Turkish guy (no surprise there) and they also do some other tasty Turkish snacks like Lahmacun. I've eaten there dozens of times and never had any stomach upsets.

Istanbul kebab is the shop directly opposite the Best Bar and alley going to Happy a-GoGo. There's another kebab house 2 or 3 doors along Walking Street heading towards Beach Road, but I've never tried it.

If your talking about Istanbul Kebab, they really are a very nice snack on yer way home, Ive eaten the lamb in there twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it both times, hygiene standards looked pretty good as well

I'm looking forward to another next week :)

I like Istanbul kebab, and usually drop by for a lamb doner whenever I am filling my boots in Walking Street. It's run by a Turkish guy (no surprise there) and they also do some other tasty Turkish snacks like Lahmacun. I've eaten there dozens of times and never had any stomach upsets.

Istanbul kebab is the shop directly opposite the Best Bar and alley going to Happy a-GoGo. There's another kebab house 2 or 3 doors along Walking Street heading towards Beach Road, but I've never tried it.

Thanks go out to several posters. Now I really want to try the lamb kebob at the Turkish place near the Walking Street entrance sign and am not afraid to do so. If it is similar to gyro, then somebody should open a place that sells authentic gyro Greek style w/ Greek bread. It shows that it can be done. I miss those but Turkish style might be close to it.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

About 2 month ago I ate 2 kebobs on Soi Diana and got terrible food poisoning. If you must eat them I would stick with the 2 stands on 2nd road past Pattaya Thai on the left, they seem to have a high turn-over and are run by middle easterners.

I used to keep a little room on the hill at Pattaya, On one trip down, after I had been trying to explain to my wife, for some time,what a 'Donner Kebab' was – what did we see driving around but a motorcycle vendor with attached sidecar, with a big slab of rotating chicken – selling Donner Kebabs.Very excited, I pointed out the vendor to my wife and explained how he made the kebabs. Much later, who should turn up outside our room, but the Donner Kebab vendor. Eager to try them out, I asked my wife to buy me a couple. I have to tell you – they were great, wrapped in tin foil, great chicken, salad and sauce. I pigged out, and with an attitude of 'all is well with the world', I went to bed.Three o'clock in the morning, I knew that something was wrong.

My stomach had been rumbling for an hour or so and now I started to have cramps. It was touch or go, as to whether I would make the toilet in time – then all hell broke loose. Literally. And that continued all over the New Year Holiday. Upon reflection- I should have realized. Unlike, most restaurants making kebabs, in more or less, hygienic conditions, the kebab vendor's meat is exposed to the heat and the insects for nearly 24 hours per day. It is unlikely that he covers it up when he goes into sleep. Some people learn the hard way.

Also, not forgetting 'Michael Kebab' in Big C Extra if you fancy a chicken doner. I love this place and you can have them with fries, rice or bread plus a large helping of fresh salad. He also does some nice soup. Very good value for a quick lunch.

Oddly enough, on the same day I saw another Doner Kebob near the police booth in Jomtien

Anybody tried this place yet?

I have tried this. It is owned by the kebab shop on the right side of the 7eleven which is located across the street (from police station view). My lady's brother currently works for the guy and I was shocked at how they treat food hygiene. Sometimes the kebab bikes are taken home by the Thai workers and basically just parked outside. No cooling, no meat protection (any fly can have all kebab he wants). I was once offered a free kebab by the owner, but after what I knew, I kindly refused, stating I am vegetarian (didnt want to insult him). I don't know the quality inside the shop building itself, but if a business owner allows his workers to treat the food like this I can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, Bart. I was thinking about giving them a try, but after reading your reply, all I can say is... Sheesh!

B)

Do people actually eat this stuff. It's been stuck on that scewer for possibly two weeks or more. I know back in the UK you have to have drunk at least five pints before you're brave enough to tackle it.

The ones on the sidewalk of 2nd road at Pattaya tai are very good, he sells out everyday, I have seen them close early as they ran out, most of the ones I see on bikes sell out too.

Also, not forgetting 'Michael Kebab' in Big C Extra if you fancy a chicken doner. I love this place and you can have them with fries, rice or bread plus a large helping of fresh salad. He also does some nice soup. Very good value for a quick lunch.

Yes, yes, yes.

This place is in what was the old Carrefour food court (and is now Big C Extra) - on Central Road (Pattayaklang).

Ate there many times with no problem.

The lentil soup is fab.

Sorry, I was actually on my way home and only spent a total of 60 seconds there. Maybe I did not see the name of the place and saw what they serve instead. It is likely, given your comment, that it is the same place. They had two logs, one chicken and the other lamb, the latter looking very much like a gyro log--very juicy and not quite done when I was there (think they just opened). It shocked me because I have never seen a gyro-like (lamb) kebob log in Thailand. Hopefully they are using Turkish/Greek style bread and not pita.

If they told you it's lamb they're lying. Imagine that - Iranians, Turks or Thais lying to you in Pattaya.

If it is that processed lamb/beef mix, forget about it - that's disgusting. That's what they use for "lamb" kebabs in Australia.

I was clearly told it was a lamb/beef mix, so not lied to. (The narrow Turkish shop on Pattaya Tai near entrance to walking street.) They also have chicken sometimes, sometimes only chicken I think.

If that is truly what it is, you're far better off with chicken. How could you possibly trust processed meat made in Thailand?...apart from that, I did try one (beef/lamb mix) about 6 months ago and it was positively disgusting - that was bought in a moment of insanity when I was out bar hopping in Walking Street one night.

I think that Turk has different meats at different times. I remember once I had a large bread sandwich there with the meat being beef, not lamb or chicken, and not a mix. I thought it was decent. The shop itself is unpleasant, tiny space and gets way too hot in there.

About Michael Kebab. I tried a falafel lavash there the other day. It was actually acceptable. I'm pretty sure the falafel were not freshly fried, which means they would probably be stoned in Lebanon, but standards are lower here.

Edited by Jingthing