Dengue Fever.. What Do You Know About It?

TommyDee

My grand daughter is in Hospital in pattaya with this right now. so seemed a good time to call the Doctor and find out more about dengue fever, the cause, treatment, prognosis for the patient once they recover and.. isnt this a disease that only happens in the rainy season?

Hope this is of interest, especially in those areas which are flooded

Regards

TD

CLICK HERE for the link

It is a great shame that some of the information is wrong.

1. Many studies have shown only a slight increase in the risk of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) after DENV2 as opposed to other serotypes. The only single clear factor that is associated with DHF is a second infection with a different serotype from the first infection. In particular, DENV3 is also quite strongly associated with DHF in second infections in Thailand and elsewhere. In Thailand many sequences of infection leading to DHF have been indentified, including 1-4, 2-3, 3-1, and 3-4. The association (only) of DENV2 with severe disease is simply wrong.

Incorrect information on this was given twice in the talk.

2. The Doc "guessed" that 5 to 10 years were enough to reduce the risk of DHF from a secondary infection following a first infection. This also is incorrect. There are clear documented studies that show even nearly a quarter of a cenury (24 years) between infections can promote DHF.

3. The question was posed if a mosquito biting one child and then immediately biting another would lead to infection of the second child, to which the reply was "Yes". This is almost certainly incorrect. After feeding on a viraemic person, the incubation period for a mosquito is 8 to 10 days before it can transmit the virus to the next person.

4. For a minor quibble, I would argue that people, by definition, do not die from dengue fever as the doc said. They die from DHF or DSS (Dengue shock syndrome).

To OP: I hope your daughter gets well soon. Thailand is actually very, very good at taking care of dengue fever patients.

1. Many studies have shown only a slight increase in the risk of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) after DENV2 as opposed to other serotypes. The only single clear factor that is associated with DHF is a second infection with a different serotype from the first infection. In particular, DENV3 is also quite strongly associated with DHF in second infections in Thailand and elsewhere.

etc.......

thanks for that ;) at the end of the day we called a Doctor because we had all heard and read the various opinions but wanted a factual response based on local regular experience. i am not questioning your study but really, they deal with this every day and he is qualified "doc". forgive me if I am wrong but i think he is quite clear in which of the four types does what. We had a lot of responses from folk who had had the nasty version and anything that explains the disease well was welcome.

However, if you are a doctor, please PM me and we can share your opinion this week too

good wishes duly passed on to the young lady, thx

1. Many studies have shown only a slight increase in the risk of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) after DENV2 as opposed to other serotypes. The only single clear factor that is associated with DHF is a second infection with a different serotype from the first infection. In particular, DENV3 is also quite strongly associated with DHF in second infections in Thailand and elsewhere.

etc.......

thanks for that ;) at the end of the day we called a Doctor because we had all heard and read the various opinions but wanted a factual response based on local regular experience. i am not questioning your study but really, they deal with this every day and he is qualified "doc". forgive me if I am wrong but i think he is quite clear in which of the four types does what. We had a lot of responses from folk who had had the nasty version and anything that explains the disease well was welcome.

However, if you are a doctor, please PM me and we can share your opinion this week too

good wishes duly passed on to the young lady, thx

Had it last year (thanks to a nasty mozzie) and it was absolutely awful. Must have been the "bad" kind because I was sure that I was going to kick the bucket. Treatment is purely palliative (paracetamol was helpful) but there was one night where every muscle in my body clenched to the point where I simply couldn't bear the pain. Horrible stuff indeed and a vaccine should be created for people living in tropical climes. My advice is DON'T GET IT!

My best wishes for a speedy recovery to the young lady.

I had it in 2010 and it felt like I was going to die. I ended up spending 5 days in hospital and from what I recall they said not to take Asprin (funnily enough when I told my Doctor back in Australia he looked up the 2011 Oxford medical dictionary and it said "treat with Asprin" - <deleted>?) or any other blood thinning medicines so I was left with paracetamol. I had internal bleeding but not as bad as another lady I met who said she was bleeding from the eyes, ears and nose. I know that they are working on a vaccine at the moment and I hope they get it out soon and it that it works.

post #6 is accurate.

Some of the discrepancies between this and what the OP's doctor apparently said relate to emerging knowledge, and these are points that only a public health professional current on the topic would know. The average clinician would not, and moreover, does not need to in order to properly treat patients with DHF.