Thailand To Uk In 2012 With 2 Dogs

Quick question here - I have asked DEFRA and various UK pet importers - so far little response..

We may need tor return to the UK soon - our Westie was exported from the UK ( Nov 2011 )and had the Rabiesvaccine, test, microchip,etc as per DEFRA and Thai import guidelines.

As she was certified some 5 months ago as Rabies free ( in a UK lab ) will she need to be tested again and wait for 3 months as per the above post?

If you keep the Rabies vax up-to-date then this test does not have to be done again. Do keep the test result document, though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a mini drama regarding the Blood sample.

My wife asked the local vet in Kalasin to take a blood sample in order for us to send it off to Europe/Uk for the Rabies testing.

The Vet said they were not qualified and recommended one about 100 km away.

We live in Kalasin, a fairly large city, and this vet has a large premises and is qualified to give vaccines etc.

Surely a blood sample should not be an issue.

Do you think there is a breakdown in comms and the vet thinks we are asking for a Blood test?

whistling.gif

hmmm... I can't see why they wont do it. possibly like you said just a communication thing.

maybe he thinks you mean you want him to send it? or maybe he doesnt have the facilties to turn it into a serum for you?

sorry dont know what to suggest, as he should be able to take a sample for you.

if its the serum thats an issue, i know that the lab in the UK says you can send it in a non-serum form, so that may be a way around it, however if sent this way im not sure how durable the sample is, as serum forms are said to last longer.

if you can try again, good luck and fingers crossed its just a mix up :)

Edited by CMExpat79

The UK lab gave me two choices, they said I could either send 1ml of serum or 2ml of clotted blood - not 100% sure on what clotted is, or whether that is pure blood...blink.png

http://vla.defra.gov.uk/vlascientific/vlas_test_pet.htm

in the end we just sent 3ml of serum per dog, as the vet said that was the min. amount they could take for us. our parcel got send out of thailand quickly, but UK customs held it for almost a week...got their in the end biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all again :)

I have 2 questions here - we will probably be sending our dog back before us - various reasons thumbsup.gif

Question 1

I am getting the serum done tomorrow and sending it asap to UK/Europe for the testing asap.

The only problem I see is the original Rabies shot was given on the 12th August 2011.

I am fairly sure it's a 1 year shot.

What concerns me is the dates/expiration etc.

If I follow the 3 month rule - and say the test is done within 2 weeks from now - that will be a 3 month wait from the 22nd May ( even that would be stretching it )

3 months from then will be 22nd August - the original shot will be out of date....

Is there any leeway with these dates?

Can we fly her back early August and be subject to some quarantine?

I have askled DEFRA but they take 3 weeks to aswer an email.

Question 2

Is it worth using an export agency?

I got this quote from one earlier today - let me know your thoughts on the cost - in particular the Clearnace/handling charges.

Dear Mr. Philip,

This special proposal that our standard rates shall be applied. Based on the given info, we are pleased to give you our special proposal as per described below:

Fees for Door to Airport

Commodity: One dog

Origin: Bangkok, Thailand

Destination: LHR Airport, UK

Mode: By Air

Service Charges:

1. Customs clearance & handling charge : USD 400 per pet

2. Airfreight from Bangkok- LHR : USD 15.18 per kg (Min. USD 85)

3. Fuel & Crisis Surcharge : USD 1.43 per kg

4. EI –ICS surcharge from the airline : USD 20

Prefer Carrier: TG

(
The flight schedule must be confirmed at least 7 days prior to ETD and we have to get approval from the airline for confirm booking)

Noted: After we check with the airline, it's easier if the customer will reserve with TG domestic flight directly,

When the pet arrival Bangkok, we will take care them to AQIS for issue Health Certificate and waiting to loading in the evening at the same day.

REMARKS:

- The airfreight charge will be referred from chargeable weight of the airline.

- Insurance is excluded, Agility therefore will not be held liable in case sickness, death, accident, & etc may arise.

- The airline usually accepts standard fiber cage only Basically, airline requires:

- The kennel must have 4 sides ventilation (for international flights) front/back/left/right

- The kennel must have a rim that goes around the kennel in the middle that prevents the ventilation from being totally blocked by other luggage

- The size must be right in which the pet can move freely

- The material must not look weak or questionable

INCLUSION:

Issue Health Certificate at Animal Quarantine Department, Suvarnnabhumi Airport

Airfreight Bangkok to LHR Airport

Export License

EXCLUSION:

Owner/shipper must provide the valid rabies vaccination certificates Owner/shipper must provide vaccination cards

Owner/shipper must provide a copy of their photo ID (passport or visa) for clearance purpose as required.

Domestic flight

Storage at airport, if any.

Delivery to residence at destination

Insurance

Documents required in Bangkok:

1. . Original Vaccination Book including rabies vaccination more than one month but not less than one year. Original rabies vaccination certificate stating that the animal has been vaccinated for not less than 30 days, but not more than one year before the arrival to destination country.

2. Original health certificate from Private Vet

3. Copy of the owner passport

Special notes:

-Payment can be made through bank transfer

-The quotation is valid for 30 days

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is our pleasure to be of service to you

hi

we have actually been thinking about sending our dogs early too, I have had top return to the UK and my partner is still in thailand with the dogs (they have a month left to wait before they can enter the UK)

I asked a UK customs clearance agent (James Cargo) a similar question ie if we were to enter the UK with the dogs now vs June 7th how lone would the be quarantined...there answer was 1 month, as this is how long we would have had remaining for the process.

so if for example, you had your dogs blood sample taken today (8 May) and the result was satisfactory, and you flew her/him home on 8 June, your pet would need to be quarantined for the remaining time left of the process ie 2 months. hope this makes sense.

I think this is correct! so I would try and ring defra rather than email them as its quicker :)

May I ask, have you got a rabies vaccine certificate? this is the one point that is concerning me for our move, as we didnt get an official certificate? do they just mean the thrid country vet certificate ???

we have the stamp intheir vet books, with the rabies vaccine sticker with vaccine no/ batch etc on ...hope this is enough!

In terms of your second question, I think its down to preferance, the cost I think is a little higher than doing it yourself but its purely down to what you feel more comfortable with. One thing I would say is make sure the agents are using a defra approved airline, as when I was getting quotes last year they were suggesting non approved airlines...

good luck and keep us posted :)

Hi CM smile.png

So the date the 3 months start is from the date of the sample and not the date of the test result?

That may make it easier - but will check with DEFRA as you advised.

No we only have a stamp from the UK vet for the original Vaccination - they offered a Blood test one month later plus a certificate - stupidly I said no because

this would have been required for the PET passport ( we didn't go down that route ) and didn't realise we may be bringing her back so soon.

The 3rd world stamp/sticker plus the approved test result certificate should be fine - again may be worth checking.

I will let you know with regards the DEFRA reply.

The agents are suggesting Thai Airways - they are on the approved list.

It's about 12000 baht handling charges - I may look into the process myself - also sending the dog(s) earlier means less stress on ourselves as we will not be

having the hassle of our own trip to plan until later.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by chonabot

Hi, i just read on the Soi Dog Foundatons facebook page that 6(!!!) dogs are going (very soon) to the UK.

They will fly to Amsterdam with 2 volunteers, and then by ferry to the UK. They mentioned specifically : "It is not allowed to fly dogs as accompanied baggage direct to the UK (which you know already) so they will first go to Amsterdam and then ferry to England. Is a big saving on sending by cargo."

I suggest to contact Soi Dog Foundation for more specific information on this. :)

yeah I am 99.99% sure that the 3 month wait begins the day that the blood sample was taken providing the sample was satisfactory (ie no rabies tongue.png )

Nienke - 6 dogs! gosh if they can send 6 over I am sure we will be fine with our two hahah, allthough this whole process is nervewracking when its your own pets, but Im sure it will all be fine :)

Hi all again smile.png

I have 2 questions here - we will probably be sending our dog back before us - various reasons thumbsup.gif

Question 1

I am getting the serum done tomorrow and sending it asap to UK/Europe for the testing asap.

The only problem I see is the original Rabies shot was given on the 12th August 2011.

If I follow the 3 month rule - and say the test is done within 2 weeks from now - that will be a 3 month wait from the 22nd May ( even that would be stretching it )

3 months from then will be 22nd August - the original shot will be out of date....

The blood for the serological test should be taken before the expiry date of the Rabies vaccine. If the vaccine expires before the 3 months, (after the blood is drawn) is due then just have another vaccination done a few days before that expiry date.

make sure that the vet stick the vaccine label in the vaccination book, his/her stamp and sign it.

Hi all again smile.png

Question 1

The blood for the serological test should be taken before the expiry date of the Rabies vaccine. If the vaccine expires before the 3 months, (after the blood is drawn) is due then just have another vaccination done a few days before that expiry date.

make sure that the vet stick the vaccine label in the vaccination book, his/her stamp and sign it.

Hi all again smile.png

Question 1

Phew that gives us some more leeway - thanks Nienke :)

Is it worth using an export agency?

I got this quote from one earlier today - let me know your thoughts on the cost - in particular the Clearnace/handling charges.

125]
Fees for Door to Airport

125]
Commodity: One dog

125]
Origin: Bangkok, Thailand

125]
Destination: LHR Airport, UK

125]
Mode: By Air

125]

125]
Service Charges:

125]
1. Customs clearance & handling charge : USD 400 per pet

125]
2. Airfreight from Bangkok- LHR : USD 15.18 per kg (Min. USD 85)

125]
3. Fuel & Crisis Surcharge : USD 1.43 per kg

125]
4. EI –ICS surcharge from the airline : USD 20

125]

Not sure what the customs clearance and handling charges are.

This is a quote I received for sending a boxer to France last year.

From BKK to Paris

Weight animal 35 kg

Volume weight 88 kg.

Estimated Charges

Airfreight rate 88 x 380 = 33,440

Fuel surcharge 88 x 37 = 3,256

Crisis surcharge88 x 4 = 352.

T/C + AWB fee 559.-

Service charge* 3,500 + VAT 245. (Service charge has gone upto 4,000 baht, as I've been told.)

Live Animal fee 268.

Customs fee 270.-

Estimated total THB 41,890.-

Remarks:

• *Our service charge include : Export customs clearance, Export Permit, Health Certificate
  • Not include: Transportation (pick up), to be quoted upon request.
  • Payment: By cash before departure. Paying by Visa/Master card plus 2.5% extra charge
  • The travel container/crate (Rigid Fiberglass/plastic type recommended) must be large enough for animal to stand, sit and turn around in natural manner and must have about 8-10 cm overhead clearance between top head/ear and the roof while in standing/sitting upright. Owner must provide floor blanket, food tray and water bottle with licker. Non-compliance container will be rejected by the airline.

Edited by Nienke

• 2 weeks later...

Very helpful thread this, when I get it microchipped what do I need to ask for in regards to the microchip standard?

When you get your rabies vaccine do you have to ask for a certificate or will they give you one anyway?

Does anyone live in pattaya? If so can you pm me please?

Is it difficult sending the serum samples, do you have to buy the packaging yourself or is there a company that will do it all for you.

I also have been quoted 20k baht per dog to get this process done :(

Hi

The microchipo has to be ISO standard

Rabies injection - the vet must administer the after the pet has been microchipped. They will put the sticker from the actual rabies vaccine in your pets vaccine booklet, as well as stamp their vets stamp on that page too. They will also fill in their part of the third country vet certificate (annex 2 for the uk) which wil then be verified by the animal quarantine station in Bangkok.

Sending the sample is really easy. The serum version lasts longer, we literally bought a small box from the thai post office, and placed a small ice pack from Big C inside (we froze the ice pack in our freezer overnight) we then placed bubble wrap in the box to give it some extra protection.

Personally I would buy the packaging yourself, as a company will charge you more.

If you ask the lab inthe UK for guicande on how to package they will be able to tell you more. It is really easy, and much cheaper :)

You will also need to attach an envelop on the outside of the box with an import permit (the lab will give you this to print off) for customs in the UK to access if needed.

I was also approached by a company in bangkok who wanted to do this for me for 20k per dog, which is just too much. You should also note that the sample (if sending your dog to the UK) should be sent to an approved EU lab as listed on DEFRAs website.

Hope this helps and good luck....

ps has anyone sent their dog recently to the UK under the new rules?? just out of curiosty :)

Thanks CMExpat79 is there any chance you can tell me the lab you sent it to? I would prefer to use one that someone on here has had a good experience with.

About my pets vaccine booklet. I cant find it at the moment, we have moved house 3 times in the last year and it has to be here somewhere but I just cant find it at the moment, do I just ask for a new booklet or will I have to do something else?

Cheers

Quick question....does anyone know where in Chiang Mai we can buy the Live Animal stickers to put on the dogs carriers??

We asked the cargo guy at the airport but he says we need to get them from the UK???

You can try ran raksath on the superhighway. :)

Thanks CMExpat79 is there any chance you can tell me the lab you sent it to? I would prefer to use one that someone on here has had a good experience with.

About my pets vaccine booklet. I cant find it at the moment, we have moved house 3 times in the last year and it has to be here somewhere but I just cant find it at the moment, do I just ask for a new booklet or will I have to do something else?

Cheers

I have used a few times the lab in Belgium with no problems. At the time I got the info from Soi Dog Foundation, who is using the Belgium lab also already for quite some time.

Serum were sent in bubble plastic together with the necessary paperwork, no ice necessary. Total costs 990 baht by EMS.

If vaccine book is lost, I fear you need to do the Rabies vax again (and then wait 1 month before going ahead with the Rabies serological test). Unless, you go back to the vet where the last vax has been given and ask if they are willing to give you only the book. The book needs to have the batch sticker (which has a date on it), so it may be that the vet refuses not because s/he's unwilling but because s/he just can't do this.

ps has anyone sent their dog recently to the UK under the new rules?? just out of curiosty smile.png

Soi Dog Foundation has... about 6 dogs at one time, if I'm not mistaken. It was on their facebook page. :)

Took them yesterday, microchip put in, rabies vaccine, new vaccine booklet, letter of certification to say that they are not sick in any way, both groomed and the girl had a small bite on her face that I got treated. 2600 baht.

30 days and I go back to get the blood taken, they were very kind in offering me the service for 18,000 for them to do it for me but I said I will do it myself :)

So if anyone can help me here...........

For the blood sample, will most vets have a service to turn it into serum or is it just easier to send 3ml of blood? I take it the heat wont affect the blood samples?

whether most vets can make a serum I do not know. You have to ask your vet.

The health certificate of a vet is not international accepted. You still need to get one from the Animal Quarantine Station.

For the DIY procedure I've sent you a pm. :)

Hi All,

Just thought I would give you all an update of our journey back to the UK with our two dogs!

Both my shihtzus are now snuggled up safe with us in England, and we are delighted! The process may seem daunting at first but I can honestly say it is so worth it to have them home with us. The climate, allthough a tad colder ;) is really suiting them, they are both much lively and have so much energy to run about.

We actually managed to fly the dogs with Thai Airways Cargo even though this airline does not allowsnub nosed dogs...I dont know how they allowed us to but they did. It may be due to the fact that we flew them from Chiang Mai, and they only had 3 hours transit in bangkok, then off to heathrow.

A few things we found out:

1. Make sure that each page of the Annex 2 certificate is stamped by the official body in Bangkok (in our case it wasthe office at chiang mai as the dogs were only transiting in bangkok with the same airline) this is differenat to the stamp your vet will give you which also needs to be puton there.

2. Make sure that you have the pets vaccine books, with the original rabies vaccine sticker, and dogs id details on the book - ie their name/ mircochipo chip number etc. The customs office at Heathrow must have the originals of all documents before they will release them.

cost for flights with thai airways cargho (total weight was 20kg for both dogs inc. cages) for 16,000 thb.

cost forusing the services of james cargo (who were fab) including customs/import fees was 460 gbp

good luck all!

• 8 months later...

As for airlines, I spent days trying to sort this out. Any snub nosed dog is not permitted on the following airlines for long haul flights:

Air France, British Airways, Malaysian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways ... basically most of them

Just posting as BA does take some snub nosed dogs - in our case a Shih Tzu. They require them to be sent using a recognised pet shipper though (i.e. proper cargo, not excess baggage).

• 8 months later...

Hi there

Following a good read of this thread I was feeling ultra confident about sending my dog's serum back to the UK independent of these companies that are charging a fortune.

So, the story is...

UK side all sorted, I have selected 1 of the 2 defra approved labs and they've given me all the details to ensure I have the right sample and that it gets through UK customs.

However where I'm hitting a stumbling block is getting a company to send it back to the UK - there seem to be restrictions on sending serum out of the Thailand and courier companies (e.g DHL) either refuse to do it unless you have a special registered account i.e you're a hospital OR delivery companies want to charge me a small fortune - 13,000 baht to send it to the UK.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Many thanks

Edited by GWEXPAT3