Driving From Phetchabun To Hua Hin

parbeau

I need to drive down to Hua Hin on Friday morning and need some fresh information. The route I usually take is 21, then Hwy 1, then Kanchanisipek Rd (9) western, then Rama 2 (35) and finally Hwy 4. This usually takes 6 hours including 2 short pit stops. But how about now? The big question is; is Hwy 9 (western) really closed? On the highway maps http://maintenance.doh.go.th/flood54.html it´s been red now for a month. Can you trust these maps? Coming from north-north-east the suggested deroute via Nakhon Pathom straight to Hwy 4 is not really an option (especially after just taking a long trip to Issaan a few days ago....). If western Hwy 9 proves to be unpassable (I drive a Toyota Yaris, not a Hummer), maybe choosing eastern Hwy 9 - or the express/tollways down to the harbour, then crossing Rama IX bridge merging into 35, might be a feasible solution? Eastern Hwy 9 is dotted green, just how congested is it? Takes all day? Would appreciate advice!

I have just come back through BKK and the express way is a no go unless you want to sit on it for several hour's just to go no ware. The 9 eastern is also a no go. Sorry but I don't know about the 9 western but as you drive up the 32 north all you can see for mile's around in all direction's is water, so if they say the 9 W is closed I think you had better believe it. Google it they update it hourly if they say it's a no go it surly will be. Your only option might be to go from the north and as far west as you can and use the one's that are open I know this might take you well out of your way. But if you haven't seen the flood's you will be shocked big time. Don't believe what you hear from the Thai government's it'll all be gone in 4/5 week's this will take month's to get back to normal. And that will be just to get rid of the water after it's gone all the road's will be buggered, even washed away. Sorry to be a party pooper but I have just traveled from the north to south and returned via BKK and the road's are in most places crap a journey that usually take's 4+ hour's is taking 8+ Take load's of drinking water, fuel was never a problem, except on the out skirt's north of BKK. Best of luck.