Chiangmai Toyride Dec 8 Event

Hog Head

The Chiangmai ToyRide is planning another give away ride event Dec 8, 11.

This time the site is a small village school about 20 Km from the turn off to Pai, then about 4 km uphill on a rough dirt road to the village. I will post the GPS coordinates, time and meeting place, and hopefully a map, but please mark this date on your calendars.

The last 4 km is uphill and a bit rough but the locals have little trouble on a Wave so it cannot be too bad. No problem on a dual purpose or KLX type bike but unless the road gets a bit of work between now and then it is a bit much for a big road bike. We are now organizing transport for the give away swag, and 4WD truck transport from the main road for those riding road bikes. One of the local villagers will stand guard over our bikes down at the main road so no worries there.

The final logistics are still being organized, and I will post again when we have transport arranged in the event that the road is not improved.

We rode today to check out the next proposed project after this one. It is another school 10 km off the main road to Chiang Dao just where the construction begins. A good single lane concrete track all the way but for about 1 km. I went in today on my Versys with road tires and no problem. I could have done it on my Harley Dana but not on a Bagger

Projected date is Boxing Day or Dec 26 to you Yanks.

Details are still being nailed down and will advise

Please see our website at www.chiangmaitoyride for more info

• 2 weeks later...

Chiang Mai ToyRide Event- Pah Lin Village School - December 8, 2011

This school is possibly one of the most needy we have ever assisted. It is located 5 km from the main road (hwy 1095) up a steep and sometimes impassable dirt road. It is a small Karen village school and this will be a unique event.

It would not be feasible to attempt to bring your road motorcycles up the 5 km dirt road to the event. Therefore, we will park the bikes at the bottom of the road (security provided) and shuttle the riders to the school by 4x4 vehicles. Dirt bikers are welcome to ride up if you like. It is not that difficult. Sound fun?

4x4's Invited.

We are also inviting anyone with a 4x4 to come along for the ride and help us deliver our items to the school, and possibly assist in taking some participants 'up the hill'. The road is rutted and bumpy, but it should in no way jeopardize your safety or damage your truck. Here is a great chance to shift that thing into 4wd and actually use it for a good purpose. I have driven the road with my Toyota 4x4 and my dirt bike recently. (We are being told that the road has been cleared somewhat and that it is now passable with a 2wd pick up truck, but I will check that myself before the event.)

These kids have it rough in a normal year. With the extended and disastrous rainy season Northern Thailand has experienced, they especially need help now. Join us.

The ride will assemble at the Chiang Mai X-Centre, DEPARTING at 10:00AM.

It is approximately a 45km (one way) ride. We are going to park the bikes at a road that turns west off of 1095 just past the Coffee on the Hill shop. That is 3 km past Ban Pa Pae or 33 km from the 107 Hwy.

If you have a GPS it should be N19 08.157 E98 42.052 We will regroup there and head up to the village. Hope you can make it.

More photos info http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?cat=5