Chalerm: Burgled Suphoth Money Was Kickbacks

webfact

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe this is a civil service position. Is the Permanent Secretary appointed or just how is this job assigned?

You are correct.This is not a political position and the Permanent Secretary forms part of the civil service cadre.Even the most senior officials, though reporting to the relevant Minister, are not replaced with more politically sympathetic appointments when a new administration comes in.This has been borrowed from the British system as opposed to the US where in contrast senior officials are often replaced to suit the prevailing political regime.Both systems have their merits and demerits, and it's fair to say that Tony Blair to some extent corrupted the British system with large numbers of political advisors.

Edited by Scott
reference edited out

I am delighted that we have such fine upstanding politician as Khun Chalerm who is determined to wipe out corruption. In the short time he has been in post he has closed down all the gambling dens and now is targeting those public officials who are abusing their positions. I hope next it will be all those disgraceful sex establishments and perhaps while he is in full flow he could do something about those dreadful people who arrive at the airport in flip flops and vests, it really is quite appalling.

What drivel!!!

He hasn't closed down the gambling dens as they will simply magically reform somewhere else at a different location!!! The Thai's are absoutely ADDICTED to gambling and cannot survive without frittering their money away. They have gambling dens at funerals which are always packed out - this has always seemed rather disrespectful to me, but maybe I'm old fashioned or simply not Thai!!

The only reason he is doing what he is, is to save face for Yingluck's government - do you seriously think he woud have vounteered the information about the crooked poiticians if he hadn't been caught!!!!

Close down the "sex establishments" and bang goes your "testosterone charged" tourist industry. Likewise ban fip flops and vests and bang goes your "testosterone charged" tourist industry!!! On this last point, I didn't reaise that this was a heinous crime - is "fashion crime" on a par with murder?????:blink:.

It's interesting that you focus on the gambling dens, the sex industry and the fashion crimes but ignore "targetting those public officials who are abusing their positions". Why is that?

I am delighted that we have such fine upstanding politician as Khun Chalerm who is determined to wipe out corruption. In the short time he has been in post he has closed down all the gambling dens and now is targeting those public officials who are abusing their positions. I hope next it will be all those disgraceful sex establishments and perhaps while he is in full flow he could do something about those dreadful people who arrive at the airport in flip flops and vests, it really is quite appalling.

What drivel!!!

He hasn't closed down the gambling dens as they will simply magically reform somewhere else at a different location!!! The Thai's are absoutely ADDICTED to gambling and cannot survive without frittering their money away. They have gambling dens at funerals which are always packed out - this has always seemed rather disrespectful to me, but maybe I'm old fashioned or simply not Thai!!

The only reason he is doing what he is, is to save face for Yingluck's government - do you seriously think he woud have vounteered the information about the crooked poiticians if he hadn't been caught!!!!

Close down the "sex establishments" and bang goes your "testosterone charged" tourist industry. Likewise ban fip flops and vests and bang goes your "testosterone charged" tourist industry!!! On this last point, I didn't reaise that this was a heinous crime - is "fashion crime" on a par with murder?????:blink:.

sichonsteve; if had to put money on your nationality i would go for you being american , ...irony and sarcasm are just wasted on you !

I'll take that bet - he's a pom

I believe this is a civil service position. Is the Permanent Secretary appointed or just how is this job assigned?

You are correct.This is not a political position and the Permanent Secretary forms part of the civil service cadre.Even the most senior officials, though reporting to the relevant Minister, are not replaced with more politically sympathetic appointments when a new administration comes in.This has been borrowed from the British system as opposed to the US where in contrast senior officials are often replaced to suit the prevailing political regime.Both systems have their merits and demerits, and it's fair to say that Tony Blair to some extent corrupted the British system with large numbers of political advisors.

I agree with you SC that Blair did use the political adviser route, but Thatcher started the strategy of "is he one of us?" in civil service senior appointments.

What drivel!!!

It's interesting that you focus on the gambling dens, the sex industry and the fashion crimes but ignore "targetting those public officials who are abusing their positions". Why is that?

Because my retort refers to the subject matter of the poster's comments.

What would be the point in targeting the public official abusers anyway as I cannot change anything!!! I think THE WHOLE Thai political system STINKS by the way - especially that element that includes those "red shirt" shysters anf Khun T sympathisers!!!!:whistling:.

I don't know why you think I'm dodging the subject as I am one of the most "forthcoming" people on TV when it comes to giving my views on just this problem!!!:jap:.

What drivel!!!

sichonsteve; if had to put money on your nationality i would go for you being american , ...irony and sarcasm are just wasted on you !

I'll take that bet - he's a pom

I'm NOT a pom but from England if you don't mind sir!!!!:D.

What drivel!!!

I'm 50:50 on whether this is serious or sarcasm - so many of these Thaksin/PTP/Yingluck clones are in self denial at the moment and so come up with some unbelievably rediculous and laughable clap-trap that I was teetering on the edge as to the genuineness of the posters thinking.

I can understand you're taking of me from being from the USA so am not totally devastated or insulted by your accusation (I would have been under normal conditions).......but no, I'm from "good ol England". Just in case you haven't heard of us - it's the country whose cricket team are number 1 in the world and current holder of the ashes. I'm hedging my bets that you are from somewhere not too far away from current rugby union world cup champions. Tell me......am I right in my assumption!!!:jap:.

Boasting about being world number 1 in cricket? It's only taken seriously by England and a handful of ex-colonies. England also claims that it invented football and Rugby - what's your world ranking there ?

Way off topic but I'm a Scot and we are sh*te at everyhing :lol:

What drivel!!!

Because my retort refers to the subject matter of the poster's comments.

What would be the point in targeting the public official abusers anyway as I cannot change anything!!! I think THE WHOLE Thai political system STINKS by the way - especially that element that includes those "red shirt" shysters anf Khun T sympathisers!!!!:whistling:.

I don't know why you think I'm dodging the subject as I am one of the most "forthcoming" people on TV when it comes to giving my views on just this problem!!!:jap:.

You can't change the others that you did mention either; since alleged bureaucratic corruption is the subject, I found it odd that you omitted it. I agree that you are "forthcoming" a great deal of the time although that would perhaps not be my preferred adjective.

I am neither a "redshirt shyster" nor a Khun T sympatheriser, why did you bring that into your response?

The Civil Service is far from being immune to fiefdoms, political ties that bind, and political machinations to create sympathetic players in certain positions. We are witnessing this politically manipulated change of CS player at present.

What civil service? Unless you are speaking of the US, where such appointments are political, you are making a statement that would offend many people outside of that country. What evidence do you have to support your apparent contention that this is a common practice, or that it is happening in this case?

The Civil Service is far from being immune to fiefdoms, political ties that bind, and political machinations to create sympathetic players in certain positions. We are witnessing this politically manipulated change of CS player at present.

What civil service? Unless you are speaking of the US, where such appointments are political, you are making a statement that would offend many people outside of that country. What evidence do you have to support your apparent contention that this is a common practice, or that it is happening in this case?

We've been talking about Thailand.

Spend more time in Thailand,

eventually you may understand how THEY play the game here.

As for UK just watch 'Yes Minister'.

In an satire there must be a grain of truth or the dark humor wouldn't exist

Edited by animatic

Perm Sec's Unsual Wealth Linked with Mass Transit Project Corruption

A deputy prime minister claims the large amount of cash allegedly stashed in the home of the transport ministry's permanent-sectary is linked to bribery in the city mass transit projects.

At the House meeting yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung said the large amount of cash stolen from the home of the Transport Ministry's former Permanent-Secretary Supoj Saplom may be from corruption in the mass transit projects of the purple, red, and blue lines.

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company.

He said Supoj reported to police that only 5 million baht in cash was missing from his home but the confiscated amount is nearly 18 million baht.

Chalerm added that Supoj's claim that the money comes from his daughter's dowry is implausible.

The deputy premier said the issue will become clearer soon, and he asked the suspect leader of the burglary, who remains at large, to turn himself in to police for his own safety.

Chalerm's statement was in response to a question by Pheu Thai MP Pichet Choermunaphan over the possible connection of former ministers in the previous government with Supoj's alleged unusual wealth.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-25

footer_n.gif

Give him back his money I want to marry his daughter :jap:.

MYSTERIOUS CASH

Suphoth to be grilled over difference in testimony, evidence

The Nation

30170660-01_big.jpg

Suphoth Sublom, permanent secretary for the Transport Ministry, will be summoned for further questioning because his testimony is different from the evidence uncovered by police in relation to the burglary at his home.

Suphoth had initially told police that Bt5 million in cash had been stolen from his Bangkok home on November 12. After he lodged a complaint with police, word spread that the cash stolen from his home was in fact much higher than he claimed and that all of it was bribe money. Suphoth was suspended from his post in the wake of the scandal.

So far, police have retrieved about Bt18 million from suspects in the burglary case.

"The figures are different, so we have to question him. We will also see if he has deliberately committed perjury," Metropolitan Police Commissioner LtGeneral Winai Thongsong said yesterday.

He added that police would also ask Laotian authorities about reports that Weerasak Chualee - alleged to be a key accomplice in the burglary - was hiding in the neighbouring country. Weerasak is said to have some confidential information about the burglary.

Allegations about corruption gained momentum after Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said earlier this week that the stolen money was part of kickbacks handed in relation to bids on the construction of the subway extension.

"Our investigation has not ruled out corruption, but to date evidence has not implicated anybody else," Winai said.

Police have already detained nine people in this case, while three others, including Weerasak, are believed to be on the run. None of the suspects is a politician.

Metropolitan Police Division 4 deputy commander Colonel Saroj Sumsap said an investigation was underway.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-26

I love how everyone blames the current gov't for this. It's just a diversion; it's politically motivated etc. etc.. If Supoth didn't take money illegally then this break in would not have netted much, would it?

Without an explanation for this huge amount of money in cash, there is little to assume except that he is a thief and has been sprung. May this be a lesson to others.

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company

So the Japanese backed out and are therefore NOT a part of this corruption case. But what about Sino Thai? If they are involved they too should be called to explain....

The guilty are not just those that take in corruption but those who give as well.....

Give that man an Honorary PhD in Sherlockology!. Let's examine Chalerm's astounding deductive prowess: Millions of baht found stashed in bags in Thai politician's house...Hmmm Whatever could this mean? Errrm Errm...DING! Thank you.

Perm Sec's Unsual Wealth Linked with Mass Transit Project Corruption

A deputy prime minister claims the large amount of cash allegedly stashed in the home of the transport ministry's permanent-sectary is linked to bribery in the city mass transit projects.

At the House meeting yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung said the large amount of cash stolen from the home of the Transport Ministry's former Permanent-Secretary Supoj Saplom may be from corruption in the mass transit projects of the purple, red, and blue lines.

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company.

He said Supoj reported to police that only 5 million baht in cash was missing from his home but the confiscated amount is nearly 18 million baht.

Chalerm added that Supoj's claim that the money comes from his daughter's dowry is implausible.

The deputy premier said the issue will become clearer soon, and he asked the suspect leader of the burglary, who remains at large, to turn himself in to police for his own safety.

Chalerm's statement was in response to a question by Pheu Thai MP Pichet Choermunaphan over the possible connection of former ministers in the previous government with Supoj's alleged unusual wealth.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-25

footer_n.gif

I love how everyone blames the current gov't for this. It's just a diversion; it's politically motivated etc. etc.. If Supoth didn't take money illegally then this break in would not have netted much, would it?

Without an explanation for this huge amount of money in cash, there is little to assume except that he is a thief and has been sprung. May this be a lesson to others.

I love how the current government blames the other parties for this. :rolleyes:

Get real!

Dems tried to back off Bhum Jai too, but didn't have the leverage at the time.

This is only revenge, if he was serious he'd go after his own partners.and THAT will never happen.

Ahh, so now you are claiming that the Democrats and the former PM Abhisit were forced to include the BJT in their administration. That's nice, but no one forced PM Abhisit to include the BJT. The current government also had to build a coalition, yet the government either by sheer luck or some political smarts did not include what is now a massive liability. Had the BJT party been included in the current government, I believe you and the usual gang of PTP bashers would have been screaming about corruption and blaming PM Yingluck for activities that appear to have occurred during the previous military junta administration and that carried on into the Democrat administration.

I am not accusing PM Abhisit for the alleged corruption, but it is obvious, that the gentleman's political accuity was not very good. it seems the former PM's quest for power and political opportunism has come back to bite him in his buttocks.

Please note that Deputy PM Chalerm is not implicated in the corruption, nor are the PTP's own partners. The allegations rest in the little corner of the political landscape that have BJT, Democrat and military junta territorial markers.

Newin turned on Thaksin and said ' its over boss' then he scurried to that army barracks and cobbled together a facade for more military rule. Thaksin wants revenge on Newin and Sondhi (two that turned on him) and we must ask ourselves is this the first or the only shot across across the enemies bows. Newin was dumped early because he was not to be allowed to use PT immense popularity to increase his vote share. How many from the last government have now got a squeaky bum. Bring it on, bring em down

Edited by backtonormal

Chalerm claimed an 8 percent kickback was demanded on the deal to construct the mass transit lines, which influenced the Japanese International Cooperation Agency to cancel its contract with Sino Thai Engineering Company

So the Japanese backed out and are therefore NOT a part of this corruption case. But what about Sino Thai? If they are involved they too should be called to explain....

The guilty are not just those that take in corruption but those who give as well.....

Maybe the Japanese explained to Mr Thaksin on his recent visit. A good will gesture to help PT fight corruption. It strikes me that Mr T is fighting a corruption conviction, what a better way to get to the amnesty by showing how corrupt the opposition is.

Edited by backtonormal

I love how the current government blames the other parties for this. :rolleyes:

It's human nature to blame someone else. What they are really is all in bed together; screwing each other. That's Thai nature.

How do you explain 1 milion in cash in a house safe let alone 5 or 20. I can't wait to find out...more suspense than the best soap opera on TV.

We are all assuming that the recovered money all came from the house and that nobody thought that the loss of half a million bucks in a setup wouldn't be well worth the money?

The government clearly needed this event with the bad press they had been getting and who better to implicate than the BJT and replace a permanent secretary in a top portfolio at the same time.