Spar Parts Dealers Are Overwhelmed These Days

Kf6vci

Howdy,

it has been almost 3 months -and my garage cannot procure a clutch. And on the internet, I only found a "150 cc Serpico".

Am at work and cannot post a photo of the bike. It's a sports 125 cc 2-stroke single. The clutch is not properly separating

engine and gear box which is annoying in city traffic.

Does anybody know where to source clutch plates or a complete new clutch?

The weather has been gorgeous up North. Come to Chiang Mai, rent a big bike and have a fantastic time!

Chris

Two stroke parts are always a problem, not only for Kawasaki, most of the time when I need Kawasaki two-stroke parts I pick-up the phone and call Kien Hing Motor Company, in Malaysia, they are located in Kuala Lumpur and after you workout the payment terms they ship the parts to you. I never paid for import duty on parts send from Malaysia (probably something to do with ASEAN) but you can expect import duty on parts which are not made in a ASEAN country.

The contact telephone number is +60 (0)3-4023 4117, if you call and nobody speaks English keep repeating English and the owner will come to the phone (speaks pretty good English).

Not sure if it were the same clutchs plate pack, but last time I paid about 380 THB.

Edited by Richard-BKK

The manufacturing of Kawasaki motorcycles by the predecessor of Tiger Motor Co. Ltd was to what I hear limited to the production of the Kawasaki GTO 125. To information I have the Kawasaki KKR line was never made by the predecessor of Tiger Motor Co. Ltd....

By the way the contact I provided is a official Kawasaki dealer and still officially sells the Kawasaki KKR as new bikes in Malaysia...

I looked at replacing the clutch in my NSR150SP. I was offerred Kawasaki Seripo plates as the shop advised that the kawasaki originals are the best quality. That is better than Honda originals and copies. I was told that almost all the 150cc 2stroke bikes in Thailand (TZR/NSR/KR) use the same same sized clutch, and the plates are interchangeable. I was also offered the plates individually; I mean each plate. I think they were 200 baht each, but these were quality Kawa originals. Its odd that you buy them individually rather than as a set, but then the repairers are looking at the most economical way to keep bikes on the road, rather than for best performance and safety (this is the way things are done here). In the end, I decided my plates were inspec, and I changed the springs instead (which was what was needed). Highly recommend changing springs IF you clutch is hard to pull in (and its not the cable). Old clutch springs are stiff and will be smaller (more compressed) than new springs. A slipping clutch may not be wear on the plates but compressed springs. I fitted Honda original springs; think I paid 165 baht for a set of 4.

Just passing on my experiences. Not my recommendations or necessarily the safest way to do things.

I would take the clutch apart and take one plate and a spring to local parts shop. Assuming all the plates are the same. The you can compare old with new and see whether you need new plates or springs (or both). You can also be sure you have the right parts. When I say plate I mean the part with the brake material on it. The stainless plates don't generally wear out (although worth getting a micrometer on them and check if they are within the wear limits). I believe all the plates are the same (but double check) when you disassemble. The plates and springs are the things that wear out, although the clutch material is very hard and its not very thick even when new. Bike clutches are easy to service, unlike a car, so its not as important to replace anything that has some wear like you do in a car.

Don't forget to refer to dansmc.com for help on fixing your bike :) Good ole Dan.

Edited by MaiChai

I just read your post again. The clutch is a wet clutch. If the oil is really old or the bike hasn't been used for some time, the clutch sticks. That is the plates stick together like glue due to thick/sticky oil. Dropping it into gear unsticks it, and giving it a run to warm up the oil should sort out a stuck clutch. A oil change might fix it if its really old and thick, make sure you use the thinner performance oils for slicker gear changes. Could be the cable needs adjusting, cable stretched, or something has been bodged regarding the cable setup. Could be the springs. Worse case is worn clutch, although unlikely. If you are not into bike maintenance, your average Thai local bike shop should be able to sort it out for you. Once you have eliminated the oil and cable setup, then you need to open it up and take the clutch apart to see what needs replacing. Could be the wrong springs; wouldn't be the first time a Thai mech has fitted incorrect parts?

Do let us know what the problem is; we took time to help you, so maybe you can take time to gives us an update <_<