Mini Mongolfiere

swisstouristpattaya

What are talking about ?

I believe it is the floating lanterns.... Montgolfier.... balloons

Floating lanterns ? balloons still confused :blink: ....I understand about Montgolifier and hot air ballons, but why is "Swissie" going on about a house being on fire at night ???

Do you think he started on the chang a little early today ?

Oh I think I got it....he is prattling on about khom Loi in Thailand burning houses down ?....:blink:

Edited by Soutpeel

montsm.jpeg vs d780_2.JPG

โคมลอย kho:hmM laawyM

On the day before first anniversary of the tsunami the organizers of the memorial in Patong held a rehearsal of the lantern launch. There was a gentle onshore breeze and they drifted out over the sea - lovely. The next night however, the breeze had switched to onshore and I watched one lantern in particular drift over and land on top of a multi-storey car park. They called over the PA system to stop launching as they were drifting over Patong and there was too great a risk of fire.

Edited by phaethon

montsm.jpeg vs d780_2.JPG

On the day before first anniversary of the tsunami the organizers of the memorial in Patong held a rehearsal of the lantern launch. There was a gentle onshore breeze and they drifted out over the sea - lovely. The next night however, the breeze had switched to onshore and I watched one lantern in particular drift over and land on top of a multi-storey car park. They called over the PA system to stop launching as they were drifting over Patong and there was too great a risk of fire.

I get it now....why couldnt he have said this in the first place....all rather cryptic...:rolleyes:

oh well 6 posts in and now finally understand what he was talking about we think...:lol:

Edited by Soutpeel

Yep ... major risk ..... but they look pretty ... bit like Thai girls.

cheesy.gif

But are they still made of paper (biodegradable)? I can just see people using plastic bags for this and adding to the trash and drain blockages on land as well as marine pollution.

I went to a friend's birthday party Dec. last year. He is in charge of the Forestry and Conservation Department (Arbitorium in Kao Chakahn) in SraKaew province. The party was a great show, maybe 100 - 120 tables, food, plenty of drink, show and all that.

Around midnight all tables were asked to join in lighting these balloons (or fire ballsrolleyes.gif), maybe 100 were passed around. All the guests were busy lighting and releasing them, only for more than 30 or 40 of them to float into a rare stand of rain forest trees and cause a mini bush fire. blink.gif

Yep ... major risk ..... but they look pretty ... bit like Thai girls.

cheesy.gif

But are they still made of paper (biodegradable)? I can just see people using plastic bags for this and adding to the trash and drain blockages on land as well as marine pollution.

You should see the mess on our beach after Loy Krathong. Those lanterns have metal frames and they are all over. But they sure look nice at night. :)