Driving Without License In Pattaya

pauljones

Was riding in Pattaya last week, with UK licence but always try to avoid getting a pull cos there is always something the BIB try and come up with to get baht.

Avoid the intersection of second road and pattaya tai, last week and seemed most times I rode past the BIB were there stopping people.

Stick to 3rd road or soi buaklo in centre of town where you can. No problem in Jomtien really.

If you see the BIB at red lights just try to not ride up to end but hang back and hide behind a van or bus until the light is green.

The bribe they want is 500 baht if they pull you, if you show them you only have, say 300 in your wallet they will probably accept it, so make sure your wallet is not stuffed with loads of baht when riding.

It makes no difference if it is rented bike or a friends bike as long as the registration is up to date.

Finally goes without saying, always were a helmet.

hope that helps

In Bangkok, it would be 200B for no licence and 200B for the reason they pulled you over in the first place. Don't say you have no licence just tell them you forgot it at home. Bear in mind this is the bribe price. If they want to be difficult they could take your bike and you would have to go to the station and pay i think 1000B+ to get it back. Ironically they will let you ride it away when you still have no licence.

Technically you would have the same problem on a hire bike too, but its possible they would not be difficult about it as they wouldn't want to upset the local rental shops.

If you already have a licence from your home country then every cop I encountered accepted it, until I got my own Thai licence, so just show them that. A friend of mine used his UK car licence and the BIB were happy enough with that, I'm guessing they can't read it anyway so just presume it must be ok or you wouldn't show it.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it too much, wear a helmet at all times (and passenger) and don't give them any reason to pull you over. There are thousands of tourists in Pattaya riding around with no Thai licence so it can't be that much of a problem.

Was riding in Pattaya last week, with UK licence but always try to avoid getting a pull cos there is always something the BIB try and come up with to get baht.

Avoid the intersection of second road and pattaya tai, last week and seemed most times I rode past the BIB were there stopping people.

..................and you say on your other post :

I am staying in Pattaya, will be borrowing a friends scooter & I don't have a drivers license.

So, you last week you have a license and now you do not ?

..................and you say on your other post :

I am staying in Pattaya, will be borrowing a friends scooter & I don't have a drivers license.

So, you last week you have a license and now you do not ?

I think you are getting the posts muddled up mate, the OP said 'I am staying in Pattaya, will be borrowing a friends scooter & I don't have a drivers license.'

not me

As noted above, no licence = no insurance, consider what happens if you kill someone?

Would you drive in your home country with no licence and no insurance? Why would you think it would be OK in Thailand?

The insurance only covers a small amount for personal injury anyway, which is probably not the same as his home country and therefor not a valid comparison to make.

If you kill someone you have to pay for it personally regardless.

Edited by madjbs

So what does the insurance actually cover? What i understand it's only 15K for injury. :unsure:

a proper 3rd party insurance covers

10 x 1 million baht liability

up to 5 million baht property

200.000 baht bail bond

medical for legal number of passengers and driver

have valid Insurance (which requires a valid DL) or have the cash available, or do your time :rolleyes:

a compulsory insurance covers max 50.000 baht/person, but also requires valid DL

Not having valid DL is no problem with Police, minor fine if any. But involved in an accident with casualty, you have a hard fight to not be at fault if no DL

The bike I plan on using has insurance, but by me, not having a valid license, the insurance will be invalid. Not good.

This must be the case with all the rented bikes tourists are driving. No insurance.

Insurance is valid for licenced and sober drivers/riders only

the sober thing can often be gone, but the DL is hard to avoid

a Th DL for motocy starts at 0845 and you have it in hand by 11am. tests are very easy

pattaya issue DL to anyone legally in TH

question do you have a UK drivers licence.. If yes then i believe that is good for bikes up to 125cc here in Thailand.. But the best course of action if staying for some time would be a Thai bike licence.. it REALLY is very easy.

question do you have a UK drivers licence.. If yes then i believe that is good for bikes up to 125cc here in Thailand.. But the best course of action if staying for some time would be a Thai bike licence.. it REALLY is very easy.

uk bike licence is good for up to 90 days for tourists, bike any size.

you are not a tourist any more if you purchase a home, rent a home for more than90 days or get a certificate of residence to take ownership of a vehicle

Op despite my scary facts,

most do what you say, including my 16 yo son renting 400cc bike with his library card, and usually it is no problem. I just want everyone to know wht can hapen when shit hits the fan ;)

thats an accident. Cash or................... regret

As noted above, no licence = no insurance, consider what happens if you kill someone?

Would you drive in your home country with no licence and no insurance? Why would you think it would be OK in Thailand?

The insurance only covers a small amount for personal injury anyway, which is probably not the same as his home country and therefor not a valid comparison to make.

HAHAHA, another statistic in the making. Your embassy loves people like you Pal...

"proper 3rd party insurance covers

200.000 baht bail bond

a compulsory insurance covers max 50.000 baht/person, but also requires valid DL "

How much does this type of insurance cost?

How do you find a legitimate broker who sells it?

Edited by metisdead
Font and font color reset to default forum font.

The bike I plan on using has insurance, but by me, not having a valid license, the insurance will be invalid. Not good.

This must be the case with all the rented bikes tourists are driving. No insurance.

Last I heard, the ''Fine'' was 300 baht.

Many of us have 5 year licences ---- easy enough --- but a bit bureaucratic.

Who are you going to kill on a scooter ?

You disappoint me Spoonman, as I thought you were brighter than that. You must be just taking the piss out of us as I can not think of a single person I have ever met that would ask a totally insane question as that.

"proper 3rd party insurance covers

200.000 baht bail bond

a compulsory insurance covers max 50.000 baht/person, but also requires valid DL "]

How much does this type of insurance cost?

How do you find a legitimate broker who sells it?

[/size]

Falcon Insurance charges 12k baht/ year for my 2011 Ninja650R, but that includes 1st class covering bike to.

Our bike forum sponsor Sumet Cycle is insurance broker for scoots and 250s to, and a scoot is like 3.500 baht/year for 3rd class similar to above in blue print

in combo with valid DL, it gets you pretty well covered :)

A work colleague of mine rode bikes for years here with no licence. Had an accident and broke his collar bone, spent a few days in hospital. His Thai basic insurance covered his bill no questions asked. 15-20,000B i think it was and he paid 5000 extra of his own money. I'm not saying thats the law and maybe he was just lucky but I'm just saying is all. Perhaps someone else knows the exact law on this.

HAHAHA, another statistic in the making. Your embassy loves people like you Pal...

Excuse me??

Just an aside. I was told not to come back to the licencing department until AFTER the licence expires. I asked what happens if police stopped me and the DL is expired and/or what happens re: insurance. All of which was met with a non-convincing "mai pen rai". They said anytime AFTER, and did not commit to a specific timeframe. They almost said it 5times that I should not turn up earlier than the expiry date!!! So I am thinking there is some leeway perhaps...like 1 month after licence expires, you are still allowed to drive?

Just an aside. I was told not to come back to the licencing department until AFTER the licence expires. I asked what happens if police stopped me and the DL is expired and/or what happens re: insurance.

So I am thinking there is some leeway perhaps...?

Yes !! Unless you get stopped by the police or have an accident.:D

Just an aside. I was told not to come back to the licencing department until AFTER the licence expires. I asked what happens if police stopped me and the DL is expired and/or what happens re: insurance.

So I am thinking there is some leeway perhaps...?

Yes !! Unless you get stopped by the police or have an accident.:D

Police is usualy one week flexible. Insurance will of course use any excuse to not have to pay out, 20.000 baht or 20million baht

The 125 bikes in Thailand are not Scooters they are Motor Cycles, sold as Motor Cycles and called Motor Cycles by the manufacture, they can do over 100kms per hour, 38 people are killed in Thailand every day by Motor Cycle Accidents, the most deaths of foreigners visiting Thailand on holidays are from Motor Cycle accidents, this is a fact, and in most cases it is the Farangs fault, ride one at your own risk but be prepared to suffer the consequences with no licence, no insurance,, that is if you are still alive,,,

The 125 bikes in Thailand are not Scooters they are Motor Cycles, sold as Motor Cycles and called Motor Cycles by the manufacture, they can do over 100kms per hour, 38 people are killed in Thailand every day by Motor Cycle Accidents, the most deaths of foreigners visiting Thailand on holidays are from Motor Cycle accidents, this is a fact, and in most cases it is the Farangs fault, ride one at your own risk but be prepared to suffer the consequences with no licence, no insurance,, that is if you are still alive,,,

are you sure its less than 14.000 people dead in TH on bikes a year? Last stats I read was over 20.000

anyhow, here in Phuket it used to be one dead every day, 360 a year, its been significantly reduced due to

DL enforcement

helmet enforcement

daytime headlights

2011 seems to stop at 200 causalties, and yes farang are over represented on this stat