Shenanigans At Gymkhana

JohnLee

Hearing tales of odd-goings-on at Gymkhana Club. Chairman's wife breaking up the place in a fit of drunken frenzy! Mafia-like control of the Committee, rules broken left, right and center and the Committee sitting in the corner sucking their thumbs! Sound like the basis of an intriguing plot for a Channel 7 soap :unsure:

Anyone throw any light on the rumours? Given the way tales get exagerated around the city it's probably all a much ado about nothing. Let's hope so, it's a well respected and charming oasis within the local area. Hate to see it's reputation tarnished in any way shape or form.

JL

I've been a member on and off for the last 3 years and never heard anything about what you are referring. However, I never go to meetings and only use the facility during the daytime. So if there was an evening 'event' similar to what you described, I would have no information.

Something is definitely amiss, and it's sad for the venerable institution.

Two weeks ago the chairman (who in my perception seems to love the club with his heart) sent out a letter to members saying he was resigning from the club committee 'due to bad manners of two members who acted madly in my office... just after the monthly committee meeting'.

He, and the previous chairman and one or two of his friends, have been at loggerheads for a few years now. The current chairman used to be the chairman before, then got voted back in.

He is a stickler for rules. I've seen him be particularly harsh in agms towards the previous chairman, to the point of wondering how the chap could bear this very public loss of face. It has seemed to me that blows will be inevitable, and perhaps that time has now come.

Their spat ruins the club and its history. Egos have clashed. Their arguments are a poor reflection on the gymkhana, and it's a pity they don't just both leave if they can't keep the peace.

I've been a member on and off for the last 3 years and never heard anything about what you are referring. However, I never go to meetings and only use the facility during the daytime. So if there was an evening 'event' similar to what you described, I would have no information.

Thank you for saying nothing.............

Amazing.

Thank you for saying nothing.............

Amazing.

Doesn't take much to 'Amaze' you. :whistling:

I do not think that those high class Brits that hang out at the Gymkhana Club pay barfines or have fallen women hanging around. They have afternoon tea and play croquet with their blueblood wives and that kind of stuff from what I am told.

englishman2.jpg

Not forgetting the cucumber sandwiches.

I do not think that those high class Brits that hang out at the Gymkhana Club pay barfines or have fallen women hanging around. They have afternoon tea and play croquet with their blueblood wives and that kind of stuff from what I am told.

englishman2.jpg

Rubbish.

Everyone knows there is no such thing as a high class Brit.

Are you sure you’re not confusing tea and croquet with tea and crumpets? A portion of hot crumpet for only 200 baht sounds like a good deal to me, especially if covered in a sweet butter.

Really, I`m tempted to join.

Rubbish.

Are you sure you're not confusing tea and croquet with tea and crumpets? A portion of hot crumpet for only 200 baht sounds like a good deal to me, especially if covered in a sweet butter.

If there's lot's of crumpet there....I'm in. biggrin.gif

200 Baht sounds good. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

I enjoy the odd sundowner there. The beer is always cold and very reasonably priced. Most importantly, I see few farangs when I am there. Let's hope the committee continue to keep the riffraff out.

Seems they have missed one. :)

Didn't know you were a member. I'll bring it up with the committee.

englishman2.jpg

Rubbish.

That's only true in Chiang Mai.

I enjoy the odd sundowner there. The beer is always cold and very reasonably priced. Most importantly, I see few farangs when I am there. Let's hope the committee continue to keep the riffraff out.

Gave it up in the 90's. B)

Gave it up in the 90's. B)

That explains your reaction to black balls.

englishman2.jpg

Rubbish.

Are you sure you’re not confusing tea and croquet with tea and crumpets? A portion of hot crumpet for only 200 baht sounds like a good deal to me, especially if covered in a sweet butter.

There certainly are high class Brits. It's just that they do not live in Chiang Mai - except me off course!!!! (Pud Len)

A portion of hot crumpet for only 200 baht sounds like a good deal to me, especially if covered in a sweet butter.

If the report on the hot crumpet is true, there might be some new members signing up.

The sweet butter sounds interesting. wink.gif

A portion of hot crumpet for only 200 baht sounds like a good deal to me, especially if covered in a sweet butter.

If the report on the hot crumpet is true, there might be some new members signing up.

Are you confusing crumpet with strumpet?

How dare you insinuate such a thing! wink.gif

Strange place the Gymkhana anyone can use the 'Terrance', no invite required.

Good Food, at cheap price, the staff are well trained and some of the cheapest Booze in CM, Bamboo bars excepted.

Wars between senior Thais are quite normal I will suggest.

As for Posh/High Class Brits, Folks please believe me if you think CM has Posh Brits you have much to learn.

john

As for B200 , not laughed so much since one Punter asked Nick in the Bad Dog what his Bar Fine was.