New Temporary Electricity Supply

cardholder

My missus was told by the PEA that they couldn't run a temporary supply to our land and our only choice was to purchase a transformer.

We are rural, the nearest adjacent property about 1.5 km away. There are electric poles across the road from us and I fail to understand why we can't just run supply across the road to a new pole (that I would erect). This is what appears to have happened down the road where a couple of properties have just a couple of wires going to their properties.

I would just like to get a few opinions/experiences before making further enquiries of PEA.

1997, my missus building our home - no power, temporary or permanent, was available until the house became a reality. The solution then was to extend a line from the neighbour across the klong and for that courtesy my wife paid ours and their electricity bill until the authority agreed to install power poles and cable to connect to our house once it was near completion. Since I wanted a 30amp supply for various anticipated projects, that was not cheap. You've said that your nearest neighbour is 1.5km away, which is a bit far to run an extension cord, especially if, (as I suspect), you'll be requiring sufficient power to operate welding equipment for your roofing steel. It simply won't give you enough power.

If PEA's advice is to purchase a transformer, that suggests that the power available from the adjacent lines is too low for your requirements. First, check that. If that's the case, then a beefed up supply will be required, especially if you'll require to operate air-cons and such like. My suggestion would therefore be to calculate your total power requirements, then check to see if that adjacent line has that capacity. If it has, then negotiate with (perhaps) an appropriate encouragement. Chatting amicably to the local lineman might also offer a solution. If the line does not have the capacity you require, then it's going to get spendy anyway - but you know that already.

Consider a generator on hire during the construction period for welding and other power tools whilst you deal with the power supply side. Unless you have big plans, with modern air-cons and such, I'd estimate a 15amp supply should be adequate, used intelligently and carefully. You might also check where that adjacent power line originates from, where it terminates, and what sort of properties it serves. Consult the lineman over a beer!

Oh yes, one last thing, ditch the idea for a dining room and make a pool room instead. But perhaps I'm preaching to the choir.

1997, my missus building our home - no power, temporary or permanent, was available until the house became a reality. The solution then was to extend a line from the neighbour across the klong and for that courtesy my wife paid ours and their electricity bill until the authority agreed to install power poles and cable to connect to our house once it was near completion. Since I wanted a 30amp supply for various anticipated projects, that was not cheap. You've said that your nearest neighbour is 1.5km away, which is a bit far to run an extension cord, especially if, (as I suspect), you'll be requiring sufficient power to operate welding equipment for your roofing steel. It simply won't give you enough power.

If PEA's advice is to purchase a transformer, that suggests that the power available from the adjacent lines is too low for your requirements. First, check that. If that's the case, then a beefed up supply will be required, especially if you'll require to operate air-cons and such like. My suggestion would therefore be to calculate your total power requirements, then check to see if that adjacent line has that capacity. If it has, then negotiate with (perhaps) an appropriate encouragement. Chatting amicably to the local lineman might also offer a solution. If the line does not have the capacity you require, then it's going to get spendy anyway - but you know that already.

Consider a generator on hire during the construction period for welding and other power tools whilst you deal with the power supply side. Unless you have big plans, with modern air-cons and such, I'd estimate a 15amp supply should be adequate, used intelligently and carefully. You might also check where that adjacent power line originates from, where it terminates, and what sort of properties it serves. Consult the lineman over a beer!

Oh yes, one last thing, ditch the idea for a dining room and make a pool room instead. But perhaps I'm preaching to the choir.

Thank you khun Richard. Sound advice - I will speak with the lineman. I will also get the architect to accommodate that pool room ! :jap:

Cardholder... The lines across your street are likely 3 phase high voltage transmission lines and that may be why a transformer is needed to step it down for household use.

Thanks - I will check it out. Electrics are not an area of expertise for me and I just want to make sure that I am not being fed BS.

I will have to pay what I have to pay but I an aversion to being ripped off, or paying more than is necessary.

Cardholder... The lines across your street are likely 3 phase high voltage transmission lines and that may be why a transformer is needed to step it down for household use.

Thanks - I will check it out. Electrics are not an area of expertise for me and I just want to make sure that I am not being fed BS.

I will have to pay what I have to pay but I an aversion to being ripped off, or paying more than is necessary.

Post a photo of the lines in question, easy enough to determine what they are :)

Post a photo of the lines in question, easy enough to determine what they are :)

Thanks Crossy - will take some pics tomorrow.

A distance of 1.5 kilometres is to far for a LV supply to your property.

You will require a HV supply to a transformer located as close as practicable to your property, so the LV supply is as short as possible to your main switchboard.

You will need to know your max demand in amps per phase and whether you require single or 3 phase LV supply.

You will also need to know the route length of the LV so as to compute voltage drop.

A distance of 1.5 kilometres is to far for a LV supply to your property.

You will require a HV supply to a transformer located as close as practicable to your property, so the LV supply is as short as possible to your main switchboard.

You will need to know your max demand in amps per phase and whether you require single or 3 phase LV supply.

You will also need to know the route length of the LV so as to compute voltage drop.

Thanks - the only issue with your questions is that they mean bugger all to me. The equivalent is me posing you a question on the effect of the Green Pound in 1979 or trying to start a debate on changes in the banking environment sine the Big Bang !

electau, I have read many of your posts and recognise the valuable input you can provide. However, I am not sure you know how low the base point is on electrics for a numpty like me. Let's try:-

HV - i presume is high voltage

LV = low voltage

LV is what is supplied to the house - and the transformer 'adjusts' the voltage from the HV external supply (as per T-Dogs comment) - right ?

The HV supply (I think the attached photos will confirm HV) is across the road in this isolated location. Our plot is 260 metres down a driveway. Based on the advice to locate the transformer near to the house, does this mean that PEA will supply HV to the edge of the property and we then run cable for 250 metres to the transformer ?

I believe there are options with the transformer that I don't fully understand - i.e. buy and give to PEA who remain responsible for it or buy it and supply neighbours with electricity (I have 2 who are interested once the Farang has coughed up for the transformer).

How do I know if I need single or 3 phase supply ?

Maximum demand per phase ?

I understand that this is a computation of all the electrical appliances - is there an online calculator that helps or is there a ballpark 'norm' for a 3 bed house with 2 aircon and standard equipment ie. fridge, fridge/freezer etc. How do I relate this to "per phase" ?

i have attached a couple of photos of the nearest electricity post, a view down the 'drive' and sunset this morning.

post-108506-0-84064000-1322533481_thumb.

post-108506-0-33057600-1322533547_thumb.

post-108506-0-56899400-1322533584_thumb.

post-108506-0-69098900-1322533689_thumb.

post-108506-0-63988900-1322533708_thumb.

It also occurs to me that I am between a rock and a hard place re temporary supply.

i cannot hook into a neighbour and PEA will not provide a permanent supply until we have a house number etc, etc.

Is a generator, for the duration of the build, my only option ?

Hi CH.

Well those wires look like a HV supply (25kV) so you'll be needing a transformer no matter what :(

A regular home with a couple of A/C and a sensible water heater will be happy on a 15/45 supply, but if you have to buy the Tx anyway get yourself a 30/100. Unless you have a big workshop no need for 3-phase.

260m is a long run at LV and will be needing at least 70mm2 copper, expensive and a magnet for thieves. Ask PEA about running single phase 25kV on to your property and then have your own private Tx, you'll probably have to pay for the (more expensive) HV poles that are on your property.

• Like 1

Hi CH.

Well those wires look like a HV supply (25kV) so you'll be needing a transformer no matter what :(

A regular home with a couple of A/C and a sensible water heater will be happy on a 15/45 supply, but if you have to buy the Tx anyway get yourself a 30/100. Unless you have a big workshop no need for 3-phase.

260m is a long run at LV and will be needing at least 70mm2 copper, expensive and a magnet for thieves. Ask PEA about running single phase 25kV on to your property and then have your own private Tx, you'll probably have to pay for the (more expensive) HV poles that are on your property.

That is absolutely brilliant Crossy. Thank you.

In terms of logistics I imagine that PEA will run the HV to the front of my property. Based on electau's comments it seems best to continue that supply closer to my house and have the tx (and LV supply) go in from there. Does that sound right and, if so, can the HV supply be run underground ?

Cheers

Anyone want to have a stab at the likely cost that I could expect ?

cardholder.... Go to the PEA and tell them what you want. They will then have an engineer look at what is possible and give you a engineering drawings and cost. More than likely, they will want to mount the transformer at the street and run low voltage overheads to your property line. From there, you can run them underground if you wish. The main message here is, work with the PEA as they need to decide what is possible. We just went through this and found them very good to work with. Once they give you an estimate, make sure you know how long that estimate is good for as we went past the expiration date and had to pay more.

If our experience is anything to go by they'll have a good laugh at the idea of running the cables underground. We had them in stitches for about ten minutes - crazy farang wants to spend all that extra money when he can have perfectly good poles right up to the house :lol:.

Pricewise, we ran cable for three phase 40m from the street into a junction box in our garden and then single phase another 100m to the house. By the time we'd included telephone lines (2), wiring for a video entry system and remote gate plus some outdoor power sockets along the route there wasn't much change from 140,000 but it's not something that will need any further upgrading for the foreseeable future. It did hurt though and my wife says she misses the poles....

If our experience is anything to go by they'll have a good laugh at the idea of running the cables underground. We had them in stitches for about ten minutes - crazy farang wants to spend all that extra money when he can have perfectly good poles right up to the house :lol:.

Pricewise, we ran cable for three phase 40m from the street into a junction box in our garden and then single phase another 100m to the house. By the time we'd included telephone lines (2), wiring for a video entry system and remote gate plus some outdoor power sockets along the route there wasn't much change from 140,000 but it's not something that will need any further upgrading for the foreseeable future. It did hurt though and my wife says she misses the poles....

:) I didn't know your wife was a dancer !

cardholder.... Go to the PEA and tell them what you want. They will then have an engineer look at what is possible and give you a engineering drawings and cost. More than likely, they will want to mount the transformer at the street and run low voltage overheads to your property line. From there, you can run them underground if you wish. The main message here is, work with the PEA as they need to decide what is possible. We just went through this and found them very good to work with. Once they give you an estimate, make sure you know how long that estimate is good for as we went past the expiration date and had to pay more.

Sound advice again.

Just to continue, what will become a saga, I went (with the missus) to the local PEA office (in Prakhonchai, Buriram).

She saw the same guy who had told that a Tx was the only forward. OK, (I think she said) can an engineer come out to our land and advise on the best way forward for us.

The guy replied that they haven't got an engineer. He said they had an engineer at PEA Nang Rong (28km away) and Buriram (44km) - there was no apparent effort made to connect us to them or them to us - end of brief conversation.

The missus asked if I wanted to say anything else and, apparently, "tell him he has been as much f''king use as an ashtray on a motorbike" wasn't my best choice. I don't think I added any value when I stated that Thailand will remain a **** third world country while they continue to be unable to organise a p!ss up in a brewery - I am now cooking my own tea.:annoyed:

I blame myself.

I was trying to move a few things on before I head back to the UK next week. Such impatience received it's just desserts. I will pick up the baton when I return in January and call into the Nang Rong office of PEA.

Sound advice again.

Just to continue, what will become a saga, I went (with the missus) to the local PEA office (in Prakhonchai, Buriram).

She saw the same guy who had told that a Tx was the only forward. OK, (I think she said) can an engineer come out to our land and advise on the best way forward for us.

The guy replied that they haven't got an engineer. He said they had an engineer at PEA Nang Rong (28km away) and Buriram (44km) - there was no apparent effort made to connect us to them or them to us - end of brief conversation.

The missus asked if I wanted to say anything else and, apparently, "tell him he has been as much f''king use as an ashtray on a motorbike" wasn't my best choice. I don't think I added any value when I stated that Thailand will remain a **** third world country while they continue to be unable to organise a p!ss up in a brewery - I am now cooking my own tea.:annoyed:

I blame myself.

I was trying to move a few things on before I head back to the UK next week. Such impatience received it's just desserts. I will pick up the baton when I return in January and call into the Nang Rong office of PEA.

Tush and fiddle-dee-dee, CH. No-one said it would be easy. You've had some helpful replies and you're a step further on down the line. Enjoy your UK break and in January, off to Nang Rong and if that fails, to Buriram, and if that fails...... well, let's deal with that when (and if) you hit the wall. And, by the way, how was your self-cooked tea? Maintain that sense of humour now y'all!

I suppose they might do things differently in the sticks. Like no engineering analysis...... just buy a transformer, put it up, and then run the overheads on bamboo poles to your property with whatever local knowledge they have. Maybe that's what they told your wife and why you are making your own tea!

Sound advice again.

I blame myself.

Tush and fiddle-dee-dee, CH. No-one said it would be easy. You've had some helpful replies and you're a step further on down the line. Enjoy your UK break and in January, off to Nang Rong and if that fails, to Buriram, and if that fails...... well, let's deal with that when (and if) you hit the wall. And, by the way, how was your self-cooked tea? Maintain that sense of humour now y'all!

It's worse than we thought Jim - the missus has said that we don't need a pool room !

Sound advice again.

I blame myself.

It's worse than we thought Jim - the missus has said that we don't need a pool room !

Suggest it again. If she insists that a pool room is still surplus to requirements, sigh a little, then say "I suppose you're right dear, now that we're both retired, with so much time to do what we want, it would divert my attention from paying you the deeply personal attention your enduring beauty really deserves". You'll get your pool room.

Suggest it again. If she insists that a pool room is still surplus to requirements, sigh a little, then say "I suppose you're right dear, now that we're both retired, with so much time to do what we want, it would divert my attention from paying you the deeply personal attention your enduring beauty really deserves". You'll get your pool room.

Regrettably, she is already fully acquainted with sarcasm !

If I were you I wouldn't waste time even going to your local PEA office again as it sounds like you've pissed them right off. Matter of fact, I would let the missus conduct all further dealings with them. You'll probably lose it again and then you'll have run out of PEA offices :rolleyes:

Just hire a private contractor and let him do the negotiating...

If I were you I wouldn't waste time even going to your local PEA office again as it sounds like you've pissed them right off. Matter of fact, I would let the missus conduct all further dealings with them. You'll probably lose it again and then you'll have run out of PEA offices :rolleyes:

Just hire a private contractor and let him do the negotiating...

tiger - I think I am safe - I don't think they understood a word of English...:)

• 1 year later...

Hi CH.

Can't believe we are 12 months on......

Anyway, PEA have you surveyed and we have a price of 180,000 Baht.

I would like to have a written estimate/contract from PEA but this seems a step too far. It seems I am expected to wop down 180,000 cash and put my trust in Jesus. ..........

Has anyone actually gone through this and was there any paperwork. ?

Thanks

I have a 180m overhead cable run and PEA recommend 95 mm. I would like touse 70 mm but am loathe to against their advice.

Any views ?

ps - PEA were brilliant when I went to see them, they could not have been more helpful. Huge diffeence from 12 months ago.

It could be worth your time (and perhaps save you money) to at least meet with one of the better licensed electrical contractors in Buriram Province. I saved money, all paperwork done to a HIGH standard, and "just like the top Dentists with a private practice" or "just like the top plastic surgeon" in our province, they are "big bosses" at the Buriram PEA, yet they own a private firm using former PEA trucks, and NONE of the run around from a smaller PEA office. The PEA will give you a written price quote, quite detailed if you ask. So will the better licensed private contractors, and you can easily compare the two. Most of the estimate is in English. Temporary service, permanent service, all VERY easy for a connected private licensed electrical contractor. Often for less money than the PEA will quote.

post-20604-0-07583900-1354632668_thumb.j

post-20604-0-43410500-1354632736_thumb.j

post-20604-0-65612300-1354632781_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have a 180m overhead cable run and PEA recommend 95 mm. I would like touse 70 mm but am loathe to against their advice.

If you are going for a 30/100 meter then the 95mm2 is the cable to use, if you are going with a 15/45 then you could get away with 70mm2 but there'd be no spare capacity for a meter upgrade.

A better (cheaper) solution now you're going overhead would be to go for 120mm2 Aluminium, much cheaper and significantly less of a magnet for copper thieves.With a cable that size there is no way it will fit in the meter or consumer unit so your contractor will have to splice on a 25mm2 copper pigtail at each end (don't let him trim strands).

Run the idea of Al cable past PEA and see what they say.