Thai Farmer Account Not Touched Since 1988

Hello all, there may be someone on here that has had a similar experience.

My wife was just going through a load of old photographs, forgot how wonderful they can be now we are all digital.

She has found an old bank book that was thought to be lost many years ago. How do these things go undetected for so long then just reappear.

It is a Thai Farmer bank account and the last entry is for 1988 and shows a balance of 1300 baht.

I know they have now changed their name to Kasikorn bank but wondered what the chances are that if she was to go to a branch with the book they would know anything about it.

Is it just to be written off or is ythere a chance that it is still active.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sean.

Give it a try - phone them up. i had the same in the UK with a kids account I had a quid in, forgot about it for 20 yrs, bank had changed hands twice, and I rolled up, and asked for my money (expecting it to be a few hundred quid in my stupidity). I think it was 1.36 I got. Great interest rates, It's either there with 1324 baht in it, or it's been swallowed up. I would guess the latter with senior banking officials pocketing all 20yr dormant accounts as their holiday money.

The money should still be yours. Bear in mind after a certain time banks mark the account as dormant. This will then likely attract lower rates of interest. In addition the bank will be entitled to charge fees for maintaining the account so it may have a lower balance or none at all now.

Go into the bank and give it a go. Best chance is at the actual bank you opened the account. Be prepared you may get a clerk that fobs you off as they don't know what to do, or decides it is too much hassle. It may take them a while, but they should be able to at least track down what happened to it.... :)

Thanks for the replies, if they have been charging 50 baht a month then it was all gone years ago. I must admit I have no idea about banks practices but am a bit shocked that if you leave your money with them for too long they take it upon themselves to spend it for you.

Well there you go, the rich get richer etc.

Had a similar amount with a bank in Ayudaya.

They wanted me to go to the branch so I could re-activate my account. Needless to say, travel and hotel bills would have far exceeded the amount left in the account. Wasted another few Bahts on telephone calls as well.

Don't waste any time and money on this.

It's gone.....

Is that 50 baht per month for under 2000 baht a kasikorn thing or nationwide on Thai bank accounts?

I believe it varies according to accounts. eg on BKK bank they started charging me fees when my current account fell below THB 5000. Think it was 100 baht if I remember rightly. UOB was similiar to BKK Bank :)