Barney Frank, America'S Most Powerful Out Gay Politico, Retiring

Jingthing

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/rep-barney-frank-retiring/2011/11/28/gIQAVMov4N_blog.html

The most powerful openly gay politician in American history. Abraham Lincoln doesn't count.

Demonized by the right wing, a real champion for the people, the fashion sense of a straight man, they broke the mold, as they say when they made Barney Frank. A truly historic person in American political history and visibility of gay people in power.

When will America see an out gay president? Probably 100 years after an atheist one ...

Edited by Jingthing

I like Barney Frank period, doesn't matter gay or straight he is fantastic and a real straight shooter. Its a pity he's retiring, we need many many more like him.

My personal favorite:

"On what planet do you spend most of your time?"

"Ma'am trying to have a converstaion with you would be like trying to have an argument with a dining room table".

Indeed, of course his importance transcends his sexual orientation. However, the politics of identity remains a factor in American politics (and I reckon internationally). It's rather an interesting more-than coincidence that four of the most important political figures/activists in gay American history have been both Jewish and gay: Barney Frank, Frank Kameny (recently deceased), Larry Kramer, and the martyred Harvey Milk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/with-authenticity-and-intelligence-barney-frank-made-his-mark-in-congress/2011/11/28/gIQAcbKA6N_story.html

He was an unusual human specimen in the Washington public life of the late 20th century, because he was gay.

He loved to tell the story of how his mentor, Thomas P. “Tip” O’Neill, the speaker of the House, took the news. O’Neill was shattered, not because Frank was gay, but because “I thought you would be the first Jewish speaker.”

Edited by Jingthing

Thank God! One of a handful of senators bearing almost direct responsibility for the US housing crisis and the subsequent bailout and whitewashing of Wall Street and government overseers. Even as he leaves he has left a legacy that ensures there will be yet another crisis. That being the Dodd- Frank legislation. So full of loopholes for corporate friends it will bring about a crisis that dwarfs the one in 2008.

Honest Abe was batting for the other team? Say it ain't so Jing!

Honest Abe was batting for the other team? Say it ain't so Jing!

That's a matter of controversy. He certainly wasn't gay in the modern gay identity kind of way as that didn't exist back then. Lets say its a gay-gray area.

In his 1926 biography of Lincoln, Carl Sandburg made an allusion to the early relationship of Lincoln and his friend Joshua Fry Speed as having "a streak of lavender, and spots soft as May violets"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_of_Abraham_Lincoln

Edited by Jingthing

I like Barney Frank period, doesn't matter gay or straight he is fantastic and a real straight shooter. Its a pity he's retiring, we need many many more like him.

My personal favorite:

"Ma'am trying to have a converstaion with you would be like trying to have an argument with a dining room table".

Forget Barney Frank is gay. He is also left handed and over weight, so what?! Barney Frank is individually the person most responsible for the banking catastrophe and the financial crisis which the US is currently still trying to recover from, and has cost US tax payers BILLIONS!!! His manipulation of Ginnie Mae and Fannie Mae is an outrage that should bring anger in every American. "A chicken in every pot, and every person in a house whether they can afford it or not." Thank God he is or will soon be gone, which is based solely on his recognition that he couldn't be reelected in today's environment, even in the beyond liberal state of Massachsetts. As bad as Washington is, it will be a far better place without him. Pray that Pelosi, Obama and Bernanke will follow him out the door.

Ma'am trying to reason with you would be like trying to reason with a pet rock. So I won't try.

He's left handed? Cool. This is the gay forum here. He has not of course only represented gays, but he has been very outspoken in speaking in favor of gay legal equality. Of his course his political career has been much more than that, but when people think of him, like it or not, his gay identity is always going to be part of it. The same kind of thing as people noticing Sarah Palin or Hillary Clinton as women had chances of being elected VP or president.

Personally, I find the tea people anti-Frank propaganda tiresome and available a zillion other places.

A silver lining. Frank intends to continue to be in the political limelight:

"I'm not retiring from advocacy of public policy," he said. Frank said his preference would be to write -- perhaps on an unfinished Ph.D. dissertation -- and speak freely on issues. He said he didn't anticipate practicing law, though he suggested he "might show up pro bono someday for a gay rights case."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/28/9071323-frank-announces-retirement-from-congress-but-not-politics Edited by Jingthing

^Yes, I've seen the talking points many places. They certainly do get zoned out drinking that tea.

And why shouldn't Lincoln have been gay? I would respect him more for it!

What did Abe know about what went down on the narrow bed with Joshy and when did he know it ...

America's Christ? Never thought of it that way:

"We are getting closer to the day that a majority of younger, less homophobic historians will at long last accept the evidence of Lincoln's same-sex component," John Stauffer, chair of Harvard University's Department of American Civilization, told Gay City News, adding, " We're already seeing the beginnings of a trend that will amount to a major paradigm shift."

The reason for this paradox, and perhaps the central reason why scholars have been willfully blind to the evidence on Lincoln, is because most view him as the 'redeemer president'-- essentially 'America's Christ' -- and don't want America's Christ having strong homosexual tendencies."

http://deeperwants.com/ratboys_anvil_2/2010/09/forget-mehlman-what-about.html

post-37101-0-52873500-1322602182_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Yes the lying windbag appologist for Barry Obama is quitting. About 30 years too late. Single handedly resoposibile for the housing crisis.

So he's like Super Gay. Amazing destructive powers.

post-37101-0-03717900-1322602901_thumb.j

His response to such charges:

First, and it's a point Frank returned to several times, is he and the Democrats did not have the power to call the shots since they were in the minority during most of the Clinton and Bush years. "Tom Delay was running the House of Representatives. So I take responsibility for what I do but I don't take responsibility for Newt Gingrich and Tom Delay’s policies," he protests.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2009-07-20/wall_street/30039487_1_fannie-and-freddie-fannie-mae-barney-frank#ixzz1f8Inf8we

Someone with a mouth as big as Barney's was sure to make lots of right wing enemies. I see that as a feature.

Edited by Jingthing

He's left handed? Cool. This is the gay forum here. He has not of course only represented gays, but he has been very outspoken in speaking in favor of gay legal equality. Of his course his political career has been much more than that, but when people think of him, like it or not, his gay identity is always going to be part of it. The same kind of thing as people noticing Sarah Palin or Hillary Clinton as women had chances of being elected VP or president.

Personally, I find the tea people anti-Frank propaganda tiresome and available a zillion other places.

A silver lining. Frank intends to continue to be in the political limelight:

"I'm not retiring from advocacy of public policy," he said. Frank said his preference would be to write -- perhaps on an unfinished Ph.D. dissertation -- and speak freely on issues. He said he didn't anticipate practicing law, though he suggested he "might show up pro bono someday for a gay rights case."

http://firstread.msn...ut-not-politics

I'd say you folks have come a long ways if you're the one who needs to remind everyone he's a gay senator and non gay (I assume) people can find lots of reasons not to like him, none of them having to do with his sexuality.

Gay congressman, actually. We've come a long way but in the USA we're still a very long way from legal equality. Barney Frank knows that very well which is why we can expect him now to become more visible specifically in the gay equality movement.

Edited by Jingthing

My personal favorite:

Oh dear, you must have been in Thailand way too long if you actually like or admire the "work" of Barney Frank. He is part of the problem with American politics and should be put in Leavenworth for crimes committed during his time in office.

• 2 months later...

Hey, look who's running for Barney Frank's congressional seat?

Surprise, surprise, it's a baby Kennedy, grandson of Bobby Kennedy.

Not too shabby! Future president?

(Am I crazy or does he kind of look like a young Irish-American Tom Cruise?)

Edited by Jingthing

Hey, look who's running for Barney Frank's congressional seat?

Surprise, surprise, it's a baby Kennedy, grandson of Bobby Kennedy.

Not too shabby! Future president?

(Am I crazy or does he kind of look like a young Irish-American Tom Cruise?)

WOW he is so cute, but straight, so as a white anglo saxon liberal english gay man whats he going to do for me?