Thai PM Hospitalised With Food Poisoning

webfact

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I supervise over 100 foreign staff. We do not have a month go by that someone isn't hospitalized for food poisoning. I might add that by and large these are 20-30 year old, strong healthy males. Once, at a get together at a restaurant, about 15 people got ill. 3 ended up in the hospital. The rest just had mild symptoms.

You make a valid point about true food poisoning. If it were actual food poisoning, others would be affected, everyone that ate what she ate (oysters) at the seafood restaurant in question would have taken ill. There's no word of that being the case.

Much more likely is gastroenteritis aka stomach flu which is generally self-limiting and fairly quick to recover from with minimal treatment.

Diarrhea is a symptom of both, not a diagnosis. Food poisoning generally has other symptoms as well, other than the "fatigue" the doctors described in the latest article. Vomiting, severe stomach cramps, fever, etc.

In the absence of any report of those more severe problems, it's doubtful that food poisoning is the real diagnosis, although it's commonly ascribed in Thailand by physicians and especially the media....erroneously.

Can diarrhea be serious? Yes. Life-threatening? Yes. Is there any indication that either is the current situation with Yingluck?

Absolutely None.

The symptons sounds like she has got a bug called Mettshgon

For all you Farlangs in English that means "Meeting she Gone"

Cure is quick 1 hr after meeting finish she okay

Known Side affects

No knowledge of any thing that happen at meeting

I was not aware that diarrhea needed hospitalization.

Then again most people who get diarrhea are not due to chair a cabinet meeting with some anti Thai shenanigans being discussed.:jap:

Not to mention 'top-level leaks', oops ! :rolleyes:

Good to hear that the PM is recovering.

Guess you don't know much about serious illness then, diarrhea is the second leading cause of death among infants in the world and is a common cause of death in developing countries. I have met people who have been hospitalized due to severe diarrhea from food poisoning because they become so dehydrated so quickly, Anyone who thinks this is a funny experience has clearly not suffered it.

Quite agree, as a symptom of cholera, diarrhea kills a lot of people every year, I'm well-aware how deadly it can be.

Working & living in Africa and the Middle-East, our company-doctor advised drinking plenty of warm-water with sugar & salt, while waiting for the symptoms to pass, so-to-speak. That millions of people don't have access to clean-water and sugar/salt, and die as a result, is a global-scandal.

I always carried plenty of Immodium, in my luggage, and will never forget throwing-up (in the ruck for first-class check-in) at Dakar airport once. Which is why I wish the PM well.

One hopes against hope, that there aren't widespread outbreaks of disease, as millions of thais continue to live with the consequences of the floods.

Edited by Ricardo

Doesn't everyone get diahorea from time to time in Thailand? Never knew anyone who had to go to hospital though.

And I have known several, so what does that mean?

The only facts people have is she has food poisoning - something I have seen hospitalize people half her age, so presumably stronger and healthier. Some of the posts here are, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, total nitpicky, petty attitudes. Criticize her policies, criticize her handling of the flood crisis, criticize her Cabinet. But to pick on someone because they have food poisoning seems to me to be rather small minded.

And nobody here seems to have any evidence beyond their own imaginations that it is anything other than food poisoning and one that is serious enough to require a hospital (and yes, as I said, they do happen, I have seen it, more than once so it CAN happen).

Just my two cents in a thread that seems to have brought out some seriously petty attitudes. And no, I am not a fan, I am just being reasonable.

...from now on, you will be labled a "fan"! Believe me...I tried to be reasonable, too.....but...

Thai PM to leave hospital: aide

BANGKOK, November 30, 2011 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will leave hospital on Wednesday after an overnight stay to recover from food poisoning, her government said.

As the premier's condition has improved, she will be discharged at noon and head directly to the airport for a scheduled trip to Vietnam, government spokeswoman Titima Chaisang said.

"She will meet with her Vietnamese counterpart and hold bilateral talks. It's possible that she will not stay for the evening banquet," she said.

The talks will address trade, investment and tourism -- including a proposal for a single tourist visa for South East Asian countries -- Titima said, adding that Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul was set to accompany Yingluck.

Yingluck, who has been grappling with a months-long flood crisis, was hospitalised in the early hours of Tuesday morning with diarrhoea, fatigue, abdominal pain and nausea.

She was given oral dehydration salts and ordered to rest, the hospital said Tuesday.

The 44-year-old leader, the younger sister of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, was a political novice before taking office in August and has struggled to get a grip on Thailand's worst floods in half a century.

The government has faced criticism for its slow response and confusing public advice about the disaster, which has left more than 600 people dead.

At times the mother-of-one has showed signs of strain, appearing teary-eyed at news conferences and describing the crisis as overwhelming, while her political enemies have sought to use the occasion to undermine her popularity.

Her 62-year-old brother Thaksin remains a deeply divisive figure in Thailand. The former telecoms tycoon was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives abroad to avoid a two-year jail sentence for corruption.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-11-30

PM is to be discharged from Praram 9 Hospital soon and will depart for Vietnam on an official visit before returning at 11pm /TANN

Good to hear she's off the critical list and was able to leave her death bed in the ICU... for a round-trip flight to Vietnam today.

:rolleyes:

PM is to be discharged from Praram 9 Hospital soon and will depart for Vietnam on an official visit before returning at 11pm /TANN

Good to hear she's off the critical list and was able to leave her death bed in the ICU... for a round-trip flight to Vietnam today.

I've had real food poisoning and a dose of the squirts more than once, and there is a world of difference.

Food poisoning requires hospital attention or at least medical attendance at home for much longer than one day. A dose of the squirts requires a couple of immodium and off you go.

If we hear nothing from her for a few days, I'll cut her some slack, if we see her striding out for the next photo-op however.....

However.........

Wow! What a bunch of happy guys you are! Happy someone is in hospital, because it is "the enemy"? Too bad it's only food poisoning, huh?! You should be ashamed of yourself, to go that low!

u dun reed so gud... :crazy:

Guess you are trying to be funny?!

Try harder!

Wow! What a bunch of happy guys you are! Happy someone is in hospital, because it is "the enemy"? Too bad it's only food poisoning, huh?! You should be ashamed of yourself, to go that low!

u dun reed so gud... :crazy:

Guess you are trying to be funny?!

Try harder!

Are you talking about the PM..? Could do better if tried harder :whistling:

I've had real food poisoning and a dose of the squirts more than once, and there is a world of difference.

Food poisoning requires hospital attention or at least medical attendance at home for much longer than one day. A dose of the squirts requires a couple of immodium and off you go.

If we hear nothing from her for a few days, I'll cut her some slack, if we see her striding out for the next photo-op however.....

However.........

:D

:thumbsup:

"It's possible that she will not stay for the evening banquet"

I would think NOT!:lol:

What a pity she'll miss out.

I found the oysters in Vietnam were very good.

vietnamoysters.jpg

Rather than "getting down with the common people" by eating street stall food, she ought to stick to the oysters! For a PM she wasn't very careful, regardless of where she ate. Or did she want a break and chill out for a few days??

"It's possible that she will not stay for the evening banquet"

I would think NOT!:lol:

What a pity she'll miss out.

I found the oysters in Vietnam were very good.

vietnamoysters.jpg

Rather than "getting down with the common people" by eating street stall food, she ought to stick to the oysters! For a PM she wasn't very careful, regardless of where she ate. Or did she want a break and chill out for a few days??

I missed one of my exams last semester... so I also got food poisoning and stayed in hospital for a day (doctor was very kind to assist, no pay-off even required) jap.gif

As she leaves the hospital, it's evident she's made an incredibly fast recovery in less than a day from

hospitalised with diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain and nausea.

30170956-01_big.jpg

Hopefully, she and her doctors will share with the world medical community the source of her amazing recuperative abilities.

... :rolleyes:

Edited by Buchholz

Doesn't everyone get diahorea from time to time in Thailand? Never knew anyone who had to go to hospital though.

hope this wakes her up to realise how important hygien is , bringing it into the education system would be a great idea being as half of thailand serves/makes food for the other half