Briton Detained After Thai Girlfriend Jumps Off 7th Floor Of Pattaya Hotel

webfact

Why do these young blokes come here ? When I first arrived here in 1995 I was considered young at 42. You rarely saw a foreigner under 30 . However, now they come in hordes WHY ?? When I was in my 20's I could always get a bird back home. I can't get one anymore.... well.... one that I would want, so I come here......... But then I am faced with these young <deleted>, what are they doing here ? Go back home and wait until you are 50+ and then return.

That is what Pattaya is for, so the old sods can get a reasonable looking bird. You young <deleted> are spoiling Pattaya and the birds here. The good looking ones are no longer interested in 50+ men and why???? because of these young tossers coming here thinking they are something special and spoiling it.

Well said jcb you hit the nail right on the head m8y, young buggers cant drink either and go around wanting to fight after a few beers, should be a minimum age limit on single men entering the kingdom say 45.

yeah, have to agree boys, i think 40 though as i was 35 when i 1st came here, the typical "lager louts" mainly from the UK are a bad influence on the thais , and show such little respect if any at all,... a few years back i was sitting having an afternoon beer when a group of brit boys met infront of the bar,......... they starting boasting about "nicking " the security guys hat and letting off fire extinguishers , .............these plonkers should stick to ibiza, if they cant find themselves a gobby slapper there, they should be made to wait until they are old enough to behave like men with some respect before coming here !

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National pride is taught in most countries, but overt nationalism and xenophobia is nurtured and taught in Thailand. There's a big difference.

Get real. This same feeling of pride for one nation is even true on local levels in the west down to the sports team you favor. As a rule Thais have much less issues with foreigners than most western nations but your continued feelings of superiority, brought from your home country, will never let you see this.

Why do these young blokes come here ? When I first arrived here in 1995 I was considered young at 42. You rarely saw a foreigner under 30 . However, now they come in hordes WHY ?? When I was in my 20's I could always get a bird back home. I can't get one anymore.... well.... one that I would want, so I come here......... But then I am faced with these young <deleted>, what are they doing here ? Go back home and wait until you are 50+ and then return.

That is what Pattaya is for, so the old sods can get a reasonable looking bird. You young <deleted> are spoiling Pattaya and the birds here. The good looking ones are no longer interested in 50+ men and why???? because of these young tossers coming here thinking they are something special and spoiling it.

Well said jcb you hit the nail right on the head m8y, young buggers cant drink either and go around wanting to fight after a few beers, should be a minimum age limit on single men entering the kingdom say 45.

yeah, have to agree boys, i think 40 though as i was 35 when i 1st came here, the typical "lager louts" mainly from the UK are a bad influence on the thais , and show such little respect if any at all,... a few years back i was sitting having an afternoon beer when a group of brit boys met infront of the bar,......... they starting boasting about "nicking " the security guys hat and letting off fire extinguishers , .............these plonkers should stick to ibiza, if they cant find themselves a gobby slapper there, they should be made to wait until they are old enough to behave like men with some respect before coming here !

You sound pretty smart and coherent.

You sound pretty smart and coherent.

yeah,.......and im on my fourth chang too !!

Generally, the only time a country teaches honest history is when it doesn't involve its own history. If you want to true history of Thailand then it is not something you are going to get in a public school in Thailand. The same is true if you want the true history of the USA, it is not going to be taught in US public schools.

Most countries have pledges, songs or such things they make school kids recite (often daily) in school in order to enforce from a young age their loyalty to ones own country. If people didn't believe their country and people were the best then they would not fight for than country but rather wish for it to be taken over by a more smarter people and nation.

One only needs to read the posts on ThaiVisa to see so many people bringing their feelings of superiority with them to Thailand. So, many things they look down on Thais for are reasons Thais feel proud. National pride is a common theme throughout the world and arguing this only proves how deep one has been brainwashed because they don't believe Thais should also instill this in their people as their country did to them.

Making broad statements about what countries teach what is a big stretch as you clearly don't know what is actually taught outside of the US.

Again, in most of Europe and the UK we are taught our history however bad it is. Do you think the Germans don't learn about the Nazis? Or British involvement in the slave trade to the US colonies? Think again. We don't have 'pedges' either.

National pride is taught in most countries, but overt nationalism and xenophobia is nurtured and taught in Thailand. There's a big difference.

I hope you're not serious? No country teaches unbiased history -- I mean NONE - no exceptions, and xenophobia is certainly not confined to Thailand.

Look at USA (how many of them know simple world geography?), Israel (Xenophobes to a man), Ulster (taught nothing of Irish history, only "British"), Germany (over-compensating for their ancestors mistakes), et seq.....

Edited by jpinx

Generally, the only time a country teaches honest history is when it doesn't involve its own history. If you want to true history of Thailand then it is not something you are going to get in a public school in Thailand. The same is true if you want the true history of the USA, it is not going to be taught in US public schools.

Most countries have pledges, songs or such things they make school kids recite (often daily) in school in order to enforce from a young age their loyalty to ones own country. If people didn't believe their country and people were the best then they would not fight for than country but rather wish for it to be taken over by a more smarter people and nation.

One only needs to read the posts on ThaiVisa to see so many people bringing their feelings of superiority with them to Thailand. So, many things they look down on Thais for are reasons Thais feel proud. National pride is a common theme throughout the world and arguing this only proves how deep one has been brainwashed because they don't believe Thais should also instill this in their people as their country did to them.

Making broad statements about what countries teach what is a big stretch as you clearly don't know what is actually taught outside of the US.

Again, in most of Europe and the UK we are taught our history however bad it is. Do you think the Germans don't learn about the Nazis? Or British involvement in the slave trade to the US colonies? Think again. We don't have 'pedges' either.

I hope you're not serious? No country teaches unbiased history -- I mean NONE - no exceptions, and xenophobia is certainly not confined to Thailand.

Look at USA (how many of them know simple world geography?), Israel (Xenophobes to a man), Ulster (taught nothing of Irish history, only "British"), Germany (over-compensating for their ancestors mistakes), et seq.....

And the UK may not have a pledge but one doesn't need to look very hard to find even young people in the UK feel superior ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8141269/Xenophobic-British-students-shun-foreign-universities.html

I personally believe the attitudes and feelings of superiority towards foreigners in the US and the UK are MUCH MUCH harsher than those in Thailand. In fact, the foreigners in Thailand tend to act considerably more superior than the locals even when it comes to local matters ... something you don't see in the west too often. And if you talk to many Americans, ones who only know visiting Brits, they tend to think people from England are a bit irritating because they act superior. Nobody likes others acting superior because of their race or country of origin but the fact remains the VAST MAJORITY of countries brainwash and/or educate their masses to believe they are the best.

As a rule Thais have much less issues with foreigners than most western nations but your continued feelings of superiority, brought from your home country, will never let you see this.

Utter nonsense yet again.

Immigration statistics tell a completely different story. How many foreigners received Thai citizenship last year in comparison to the millions of foreigners that receive citizenship to Western countries?

How multicultural is Thailand? Not to mention they are fighting a war in the South; Buddhist Thai versus Muslim Malay.

Just ask a Thai what they think about Laos/Burma/Cambodians or any other Asian people to find out how they really feel about foreigners.

Wake up.

I personally believe the attitudes and feelings of superiority towards foreigners in the US and the UK are MUCH MUCH harsher than those in Thailand.

"Topping Asia and the world in animosity toward migrants at 82 percent is Thailand, whose robust economy attracts cross-border movements of people from neighboring Mekong countries fleeing poverty or countryside war."

From a Gallup Poll in 2005.

As a rule Thais have much less issues with foreigners than most western nations but your continued feelings of superiority, brought from your home country, will never let you see this.

Immigration statistics tell a completely different story. How many foreigners received Thai citizenship last year in comparison to the millions of foreigners that receive citizenship to Western countries?

How multicultural is Thailand? Not to mention they are fighting a war in the South; Buddhist Thai versus Muslim Malay.

Just ask a Thai what they think about Laos/Burma/Cambodians or any other Asian people to find out how they really feel about foreigners.

Wake up.

I was clearly speaking of people's attitudes and not government policies, which are largely based on economic and control issues.. Not sure who you are friends with but the Thais I know don't look down on anyone because of what country they are from. They sometimes generalize and may not like a country but they don't condemn all people of Laos/Burma/Cambodians. However, they do see that many of those in Thailand are poor and as we all know, status of simple things such as wealth and darkness of skin can be reasons to feel superior over others on an individual basis. I see absolutely no difference in the views of people from Laos/Burma/Cambodians as there is of views from people from Issan from others in the rest of the country.

Speaking of waking up ... Isn't it about time you woke up from your constant delusion that you are superior towards Thais? We are all people and and some are nicer, smarter and wealthier than others. We as a people need to constantly remind ourselves of such ignorant prejudice that is so easy for us all to fall into.

Wake up.

Absolutely correct.

I have had the pleasure of working with Thais over the last ten years in Thaland, Burma and Laos and the attitude of Thais towards Laotians, Burmese, Cambodians, Phillipinoes (and every other nationality) is sickening.

I personally believe the attitudes and feelings of superiority towards foreigners in the US and the UK are MUCH MUCH harsher than those in Thailand.

"Topping Asia and the world in animosity toward migrants at 82 percent is Thailand, whose robust economy attracts cross-border movements of people from neighboring Mekong countries fleeing poverty or countryside war."

Do you have a link to this Poll? I won't hold my breadth but am almost certain it was a poll about how people felt about immigration (including illegal) and NOT how they felt towards immigrants themselves. Another words, it can be based on economic other factors that have nothing to do with feelings of superiority but simply about things such as loss of wages or unemployment. I believe you are trying to pretend something similar to people who vote against higher taxes for more police would mean people don't care about crime.

As I clearly stated, every country has issues with superiority and Thailand is no different but once again you want to prove your superiority over Thais.

Do you have a link to this Poll? I won't hold my breadth but am almost certain it was a poll about how people felt about immigration (including illegal) and NOT how they felt towards immigrants themselves. Another words, it can be based on economic other factors that have nothing to do with feelings of superiority but simply about things such as loss of wages or unemployment. I believe you are trying to pretend something similar to people who vote against higher taxes for more police would mean people don't care about crime.

As I clearly stated, every country has issues with superiority and Thailand is no different but once again you want to prove your superiority over Thais.

To a certain extent I agree. Certainly most Westerners (at home) think their country superior in many ways - if not all.

They are clearly right as they have many things in their history that made them 'superpowers'. However, they miss the point that they, personally, have done nothing spectacular....

I must add though, that having been educated in England, I was made v aware of our past failings (slavery etc.).

I was clearly speaking of people's attitudes and not government policies, which are largely based on economic and control issues.. Not sure who you are friends with but the Thais I know don't look down on anyone because of what country they are from. They sometimes generalize and may not like a country but they don't condemn all people of Laos/Burma/Cambodians. However, they do see that many of those in Thailand are poor and as we all know, status of simple things such as wealth and darkness of skin can be reasons to feel superior over others on an individual basis. I see absolutely no difference in the views of people from Laos/Burma/Cambodians as there is of views from people from Issan from others in the rest of the country.

You don't get out much do you?

The Thais I know think hilltribe people are all thieves, and anyone with darker skin than themselves is inferior.

Not to mention all girls from Issan are .... etc.

Cambodians are the traditional enemy, hard to find a Thai with something good to say about them.

Totally agree with Luddite on this one.

I've been here for 7 years and spend basically all of my time around Thais, speaking Thai all of the time.

All of the Thais I know regard their surrounding ASEAN neighbours as inferior. Very, very much inferior. I'd personally say Thais have the most animosity towards and look down the most on the Burmese, even more than Cambodians, owing to the very violent history between the two and the numerous references in Thai film, print and music. The story of the heroic war elephant Khan Gluay is a perfect example of this, where the Burmese are protrayed in a very poor light.

Not only that, but as Luddite correctly said, Thais look down on other Thais, much more than I would ever do with any of my fellow Englishmen. I don't see any of my European neighbours as inferior in any way. I see them as equals, as I do every other human being.

Considering Thailand had a caste system for a long time in its history which only disappeared a few centuries ago, it's little surprise there is that attitude here and it's deeply ingrained.

You only have to look at the "Hi-So" culture Thailand now has to see daily evidence of this Animal Farm-like "some are more equal than others" society.

A vast majority of politicians, government officials and people in high ranking places are only able to achieve their positions of power because of their bloodlines.

I was initially suprised at how very xenophobic Thais were when I first came here, but now I don't bat an eyelid when I hear Thais talking about Africans, other Asians and yes mostly us Farangs, in such terms of disdain.

How this thread now has anything to do with the OP, I really don't know. So heading back to the topic....

The PDN article said there was a witness to the girl actually jumping and that testimony will surely shed a very bright light on whether she was pushed or jumped.

And I quote:

"The witnesses on the opposite side of the hotel saw the moment Ms. Ratchanu jumped off, hit a branch of a coconut tree before hitting ground. This probably saved her life."

(Notice the article used the word "jumped"....just sayin'.)

No traces of a fight:

"Mr. David said that he didn’t beat up his girl friend and that she jumped off by her self. They inspected his body but no traces of fighting we’re found."

The hotel/resort room wasn't messed up:

"The hotel room was also inspected but nothing unusual was discovered."

So, to me, it would appear she jumped. Possible attention-seeking behaviour. This is total speculation of course and I'd hold judgement until more facts are available and the direct witness and the other witnesses stories are corborrated and we know more. Nowhere in the PDN aritcle does it say she's a BG. It might seem that that's the case, but hold judgment about that one eh?

At least it didn't end in death and it makes a change from the multitude of farang hotel diving attempts in recent years.

Lastly, to thejcb.

You who is intimidated by the young turks now coming to Thailand and getting the "birds". You gave me the biggest laugh I've had all year. Saldy not with you, just AT you. I bet you treat women with such charm and romance, don't you? You must be Mr Chivalry of Chivalryland.

Assuming your post is not completely toungue-in-cheek, you're totally deluded. I just turned 30, been here for 7 years, married to a 37 year old Thai for 5 of them and we have 2 children. I read, speak and write Thai and am looking into getting Thai citizenship when I'm elligible. I live in Surat Thani. This make me a <deleted> does it? You can take your stereotype and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I tell you what a <deleted> is, someone who regards and talks about women, the way that you do.

Your post says far more about your inability to attract females and be appealing in any way to the fairer sex (probably as you refer to them as "birds" and think they're objects), and outlines your inferiority complex towards younger males from your own soceity way more than it makes any of us younger fellas over here <deleted>.

What am I doing here? Being a useful member of Thai society, that's what I'm doing here. What are you doing here? Other than picking up sex objects in Pattaya and getting fatter, poorer and older in the process?

If it was all tongue-in-cheek then that's comedy gold my friend and I retract the vitriol.

Get well soon Ms Taweerat.

Edited by ManInSurat

I was educated to understand and accept other cultures and differences.

Your posts across ThaiVisa would indicate the opposite.

Nisa, with respect you really are completely wrong about other western countries teaching history in an unbalanced manner. You are most grievously wrong in suggesting that most countries have the same pledging of allegiance that the US has. In all my life I have never been required to pledge my loyalty to anyone or anything.

Nisa, with respect you really are completely wrong about other western countries teaching history in an unbalanced manner. You are most grievously wrong in suggesting that most countries have the same pledging of allegiance that the US has. In all my life I have never been required to pledge my loyalty to anyone or anything.

You clearly have a problem with understanding a simple sentence such as ....

Most countries have pledges, songs
or
such things...

And you are factually wrong if you don't believe most countries teach biased histories. Maybe you missed the childhood lesson of ... there is always two sides to every story OR the lesson we learn as an adult that says there are usually more than two sides to a story when politics, history and war are concerned. There are few and far between countries that do not teach a sense of superiority and/or that their country is the best. If they didn't then they would not be a country for very long as they would be ripe for a take over.

Again, my point is very clear and that is that this is a norm and not something unique to Thailand but it is clear some people's feelings of superiority over Thais will not allow them to accept this.

Edited by Nisa

That Gallop Poll from 2005 would still be valid today - spot on. Having travelled the globe I would say that the Thais are amongst the most racist people on the planet - a fact illustrated even more when you can speak a little Thai and understand what they are actually saying about the "aliens". Only in Thailand can the population be more concerned about illegal immigrants fleeing from poverty and violence, than they are about corruption in the political system (as a recent poll showed that only a minority of Thais believed corruption in Thailand was a problem).

Back to this story, without knowing the outcome of this case, it seems from the attached pictures that this young fella was hardly being treated harshly, not even as a suspect. I would not imagine that it is normal police procedure (even in Thailand) to allow a "suspect" (potential murderer) into the same room as his badly injured "victim"?

Wake up.

Ober has the right of it. you're still on a holiday cloud or more likely drunk if you think otherwise.

• 1 month later...

Assuming guilt of a falang when there is the death of a Thai is second nature in LOS, We are all classified as inferior in the country , remember Thais are even taught that they are a superior nationality at some schools. This is not baiting it's a fact I am an ajarn

What University to you hold your position at? A common, "right off the boat" mistakes that English teachers make is to inflate their status. Ajarn means "professor" ; meaning a graduate degree holder (likely a Ph.D., or at least a Masters degree) teaching at a recognizes Univerity, however teachers of children, or English teachers outside a University position are called Kru (Teacher). 99% of the farangs I have seen call themselves Ajarn are either ignorant or lying. Since your English was very poorly written I assume you are not highly enough educated to be a professor. However, I could be wrong...

You are wrong with your definition of "ajarn " and I aint wasting my time arguing with someone who's ignorant of the facts.

If you "aint" going to be wasting your time on this - at least spend your time on learning to write better English.

• Like 1

i don't know how many times i have to tell you guys always, always get a room over the 10th floor, and remember you can't fit more then 2 in a suitcase ! dam_n newbie whats wrong with this guy anyway, doesn't he know, you don't come to thailand till, your 60, to have a 22 yo thai girlfriend, whats he trying to do ruin it for the rest of us ?

• 2 months later...

Misspellings and grammatical errors can make posts difficult to understand. However English is not always the first language of our members so don't waste space correcting other members' grammar and spelling where it isn't necessary. One post removed.