Global Drive To Bring Back Tourists To Thailand

webfact

TOURISM

Global drive to bring back tourists

Suchat Sritama

The Nation

30170907-01_big.jpg

The Thai Hotels Association (THA) and the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will kick off a one-month global campaign in December to woo back tourists in the aftermath of the floods.

The campaign is set to start from December 15, 2011 until January 15, 2012. At least 50-100 THA members across the country, mostly 3-4 star hotels, are expected to join the campaign.

Participating hotels will offer "buy one get one free" deals on their normal room rates, to encourage tourists during the designated period.

TAT's 26 worldwide offices will help promote and sell the campaign.

THA president Prakit Chinamourphong said that though the campaign would run globally, THA and TAT would focus on short-haul markets like Hong Kong, Singapore and China as tourists from here would offer a faster response than long-haul travellers.

THA hoped that the campaign would boost tourism by 20-30 per cent.

Prakit said that flooding had caused hotel occupancy rate nationwide in November to drop from a projected 68 per cent to 62 per cent, but still an improvement from 53 per cent in last November.

Hotels in Bangkok this month reported a drop of 40 per cent as international tourists were still worried about inundation.

"Average occupancy rate at hotels in Bangkok this month was 55-60 per cent, which is lower than the expected 75-80 per cent," said Prakit.

Hotels in Phuket are running as high as 70 per cent this month, compared to 36 per cent in same time last year.

Operators in Pattaya are experiencing 70 per cent in November. Half of the guests are local people who escaped the flooding in Bangkok and Central region.

The occupancy rate at hotels in Chiang Mai was 56 per cent in November, but rose to as high as 80-90 per cent in December due to the Royal Flora Expo and a huge conference.

Thailand's worst floods have already washed away more than 400,000 international tourists.

The negative impact is expected to continue and may lead to another 300,000 visitors staying away this year.

Sansern Ngaorangsi, deputy governor for Asia and South-Pacific Markets at TAT, said it had revised down total arrivals from the projected 19.5 million to 18.3 million mainly due to the flooding.

He said the authority planned to organise a mega familiarisation trip in mid-December bringing in 500 travel agents and media representatives from around the world.

He added that TAT would add more marketing activities in January and March to boost foreign visitors.

According to Prakit, the association has handed its rehabilitation plans to Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa, and urged the government to help with corporate tax measures, extend dept repayment as well as provide financial assistance to affected operators.

The ministry asked the government for Bt3-5 billion to rebuild entire tourism.

On Nov 28, Tourism Authority of Thailand also rolled out a recovery campaigns "Beautiful Thailand" to lure back tourists, working in cooperation with media worldwide to highlight Thailand’s hospitality not price cutting. It is confident that the tourism sector would return to normal from end of this year. According to Governor Suraphon, the most effective strategy to restore tourist confidence and build lasting momentum for the Thai tourism sector is to focus on valueadded services and warm Thai hospitality, not engage in price cutting.

"We are now focused on restoring tourist arrivals for the duration of the high season. The TAT is confident that from the yearend holiday period until March 2012, the second half of the high season, the tourism sector will have recovered. In the past, the Thai tourism sector has come back quickly when faced with similar situations. This clearly shows travellers' preference for and loyalty to the Thailand brand," said Suraphon.

To ensure the rapid recovery of the Thai tourism sector, the TAT is conducting a comprehensive communications and marketing campaign called "Beautiful Thailand." It involves engaging media from key markets worldwide. Since the middle of November, TAT executives have met with the bulk of foreign media stationed in Thailand, broadcast media visiting from China, the Ukraine, Hong Kong, Japan, Vietnam, and Israel, and have appeared on regional cable channels; such as, Bloomberg TV. The TAT is also planning a mega famtrip during December that will bring over 300 travel media from overseas to see for themselves that most of Thailand's tourism attractions and infrastructure remain intact.

The TAT's 25 overseas offices are working directly with tour operators in their local markets to develop campaigns and promotions to restore confidence and support tourist arrivals. These initiatives include special promotions with airlines and tour operators, TV and movie production, and celebrity marketing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-30

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is not the 'cheap' holiday destination that it used to be, it's more of a rip off destination now.

Agree 100%.

Thailand is now very expensive. Many people do not want an expensive holiday

Many people will not come to Thailand now because too expensive and too many rip offs

Edited by Randee

my parents were going to visit us in thailand this xmas until i told them the

exchange rate, they are now going to malaysia and we are hoping to go visit them

there , .....i spend most of my time here in rayong, the average price of a beer

on entertainment street is 120B !!,...... for a small one , thats nearly £5 per

pint !!......... its becoming like the UK now , i buy from the supermarket and

drink at home or on the beach , the average thai on 275B per day , they have a

choice,.eat OR drink !!! :blink:

Prakit said that flooding had caused hotel occupancy rate nationwide in November to drop from a projected 68 per cent to 62 per cent, but still an improvement from 53 per cent in last November.

So in other words, despite the flood mayhem, an increase in occupancy rate nationwide by 9% over November last year ??

Would that be because of arrivals or because of a lot of housing was flooded.

No doubt we will see this as another TAT spin on how well Thailand is doing in the tourism sector.

I read that the hotel association wants to raise rates 20% because they say to align with rates in surrounding countries. Hmmm. I feel for them, but fear that the move will not help generate more visitors.

Which surrounding countries have higher rates?

Myanmar, Cambodia, Lao?

Even in Malaysia I got very cheap deals and lower other costs+more safety from scam+better enviroment....

And just the other day some bigwig from Starwood was saying that Thai hotels in the high-end sector should raise their rates by 20% to be on a par with HK and Singapore. Ridiculous comment given the overheads of those two destinations vis a vis Thailand. Will the staff on the floor see a % of that? Doubtful. And Thailand isn't cheap anymore as others have said. If Thailand starts to get serious about the mafia taxi, tour guides, jet-ski and tuk-tuk scams, then maybe it can call itself a quality destination but I might as well p**s into the wind.

Thailand is not the 'cheap' holiday destination that it used to be, it's more of a rip off destination now.

Agree 100%.

Many people will not come to Thailand now because too expensive and too many rip offs

Gee, Dorothy, you aren't in Kansas anymore? Get real, is any place like it was? Thailand is too expensive and too many rip-offs? Go to the Philippines or Peru, or Mexico, or Egypt if you want to see rip-offs. Expensive, compared to where, the UK, the US, Germany, Japan? It's more expensive for the same quality of housing and food in the Philippines than here in Thailand. Sure there are cheaper places, but do they have all the amenities? I am not just talking wet and warm and fuzzy things. If it's so bad, don't get that return visa. Thailand would be much better without all us falangs--we are a major cause of price increases and the rip-offs. Get out of the tourist traps, where the vast majority of falangs hang and where the majority of expense and rip-offs occur, and see for yourself.

my parents were going to visit us in thailand this xmas until i told them the

exchange rate, they are now going to malaysia and we are hoping to go visit them

there , .....i spend most of my time here in rayong, the average price of a beer

on entertainment street is 120B !!,...... for a small one , thats nearly £5 per

pint !!......... its becoming like the UK now , i buy from the supermarket and

drink at home or on the beach , the average thai on 275B per day , they have a

choice,.eat OR drink !!! :blink:

Which exchange rate do you use? I thought the BHT v's GBP = 48/49THB

Okay just noticed a pint would normally equal two bottles.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Come on get real. The great advantage Thailand has is that it has accomondations for the backpacker and for the 5 star travelor. You can spend as little as 1000 baht a night and have a nice, basic clean hotel room or go to a five star hotel and spend around 5000-7000 baht a night which would be double in places like New York and Tokyo. You can eat at the local stalls (and not get sick) or go to an international chain and spend as much as you would back home. If one thinks Thailand is expensive, try Singapore, Beijing, or another big Asian city. True, Thailand is NOT as cheap as it use to be but maybe that has to do with the US dollar and Euro not being as strong as it use to be.

After the aftermath of the floods instead of the hotels doing promotions for accommodation I think now would be the perfect opportunity for Thailand to clean up its act regarding the Garbage & litter issues. As a long time visitor & semi resident I love Thailand & the people but the litter over the land & in the sea is a big problem that seams to be overlooked by government & Thai people alike. Was in Pattaya last month & went for a swim but keep getting tangled up in litter. I could mot believe how much rubbish I was seeing around me in the water. Thailand seems to be a big rubbish dump. Anyone else thinking the same thoughts.

Edited by Kaiapoiman

Agree 100%.

i think part of the problem is that TAT started to look for a "better class" of tourist before getting their house in order, why would wealthy people come to a country that pavements are not safe to walk on, roads not safe to drive on , showers not safe to clean yourself, and hygien is non existent ??; not forgetting nobody willing to stand up to the scammers like the jet- ski's, and racism in the police force against farang !

Agree 100%.

Maybe its just a rumor and hearesay that tourism in Cambodia and Vietnam is booming. Are these countries, that have not been hit by unusual heavy monsoon?

Gee, Dorothy, you aren't in Kansas anymore? Get real, is any place like it was? Thailand is too expensive and too many rip-offs? Go to the Philippines or Peru, or Mexico, or Egypt if you want to see rip-offs. Expensive, compared to where, the UK, the US, Germany, Japan? It's more expensive for the same quality of housing and food in the Philippines than here in Thailand. Sure there are cheaper places, but do they have all the amenities? I am not just talking wet and warm and fuzzy things. If it's so bad, don't get that return visa. Thailand would be much better without all us falangs--we are a major cause of price increases and the rip-offs. Get out of the tourist traps, where the vast majority of falangs hang and where the majority of expense and rip-offs occur, and see for yourself.

You hit the nail on the head there.

I choose to live in Pattaya and as such pay more than if we lived in the sticks.

However there is still a bar in the next street offering beer from 29 baht a bottle. Some places mainly after hi-so Thai's it's over 150 for a beer. You can still eat cheap here if thats what you want. Hotel rooms from about 500 Baht a night. You others tell me how this is rip off central?

If someone doesn't want to buy from a Hawker or pay and inflated taxi journey they don't have to. I would never hire a Jet Ski and advise any tourists I meet not to.

It's like anywhere there is an influx or tourists... A fool and their money WILL be parted no matter where they are in the world.

What the TAT fails to take into account is the problem of whether people in other countries (especially, say, Greece or USA or Spain, where unemployment is on the high side) have the wherewithal to get on a plane and laze around in Thailand, no matter how cheap it is.

A lot of people in Euroland and N Amerika will be having second thoughts about travel in the coming year (and possibly decade).

if that TAT bla-di-bla would boost tourism 20-30% they should do it every second month!

Tourists from Hong Kong, Singapore and China? Great, Louis Vuitton and Dior shops will be happy (if), apart from that they don't spend any money...

I read that the hotel association wants to raise rates 20% because they say to align with rates in surrounding countries. Hmmm. I feel for them, but fear that the move will not help generate more visitors.

Which surrounding countries have higher rates?

Myanmar, Cambodia, Lao?

Even in Malaysia I got very cheap deals and lower other costs+more safety from scam+better enviroment....

Well put...Here in Sihanoukville (Cambodia) I pay $.50 per beer and $.35 per pack of smokes...Life long visa and life is wonderful...

Agree 100%.

thx. You saved me a long post. Dorothy needs a reality check I think.

Agree 100%.

Maybe its just a rumor and hearesay that tourism in Cambodia and Vietnam is booming. Are these countries, that have not been hit by unusual heavy monsoon?

These places have been getting more popular for some time now. I think many people are choosing to go elsewhere instead of Thailand due to Thailand's attitude and because of many reasons including - expensive, rip offs, difficult visas, many problems within Thailand amongst it's own people and so on. Thailand doesn't seem to realise it though - even though the answers are obvious to others.

It seems to me that Thailand can't see the woods for the trees ...

And sure the flooding will not help too. But Thailand has changed now so many people are going to different places like Cambodia, Vietnam, Philipines and Laos .... and Blackpool LOL! (joke - u need to be a Brit to get it)

Agree 100%.

"us falangs--we are a major cause of price increases and the rip-offs."

In the same way that attractive women are a major cause or rape I suppose. Not a very sensible comment.

Edited by saroq

You hit the nail on the head there.

I choose to live in Pattaya and as such pay more than if we lived in the sticks.

However there is still a bar in the next street offering beer from 29 baht a bottle. Some places mainly after hi-so Thai's it's over 150 for a beer. You can still eat cheap here if thats what you want. Hotel rooms from about 500 Baht a night. You others tell me how this is rip off central?

If someone doesn't want to buy from a Hawker or pay and inflated taxi journey they don't have to. I would never hire a Jet Ski and advise any tourists I meet not to.

It's like anywhere there is an influx or tourists... A fool and their money WILL be parted no matter where they are in the world.

You might want to consider coming to Sihanoukville Cambodia....I pay $.50 per beer and $5.00 per night for my guest house residence....and yes it is "high season"...and it is ON THE BEACH...Thailand does not want you there...They just want your money and get the hell out...IN TWO WEEKS.......Look up > Kangaroo Kitchen< Sihanoukville, Cambodia<....Come on over....!

Edited by TeddyFlyfisherDavis

Agree 100%.

blah blah blah :violin: :jerk:

there's not much a "fa-l-ang" like you will be able to teach a fa-r-ang of my experience matey

Buy one room get one free, does that mean that they will be doubling the price of the room rates so that they actually don't loose out. Generally when things are slow the Thai's increase the prices on goods and services so that they maintain thier expected income.