Customs Issues - Please Help!

kschulz

Hello,

I am a Canadian currently living in Bangkok.

I just bought the new Apple iPhone 4S in Canada and my family shipped it to Thailand this past week through FedEx.

However, the package got stopped by Thai Customs because the NBTC (National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission of Thailand) does not allow the new iPhone to be imported into Thailand even if it is being imported as a gift.

So FedEx will not release the package to me and they gave me three options:

1. Find a Consignee/Customs broker to do the customs clearance

2. Get an import licence to import the iPhone 4S

3. Send the shipment back to the shipper

Any suggestion on what I should do? This is my first time trying to get something cleared through customs, normally it just gets by no problem.

Least pain option 3 send it back, then get it sent by regular insured post, use the Canadian equivalent of EMS, chances are it will get through no problem.

FedEx and the other couriers are always a recipe for charges as they play by the book and are invariably in cahoots with the customs department. Avoid at all costs.

Least pain option 3 send it back, then get it sent by regular insured post, use the Canadian equivalent of EMS, chances are it will get through no problem.

FedEx and the other couriers are always a recipe for charges as they play by the book and are invariably in cahoots with the customs department. Avoid at all costs.

DHL same.

DHL same.

DHL is good to use? or will they get caught up in customs also?

DHL same.

DHL is good to use? or will they get caught up in customs also?

No. DHL will have the same problem.

Best thing to do is send it back and wait for someone to bring it over in person.

Also advise to send it back....

The way the system works here is customs has a list of approved brands and models of phones that can be imported... if this one is not yet on the list, they wont let you (or anyone else) import.

You can then wait for them to approve it and send it back or have some one hand carry it in.