Bad Drivers Phuket

Tanuki

Can't stand the drivers who pull up to the lights in the right hand lane and once the light goes green they decide its time to use the indicator to turn right leaving the cars behind thinking it was going straight. this causes more bottlenecks than anything else in the island.

Right hand lane in a light junction in TH is usually, almost always, dedicated turning right, often 2 right hand lanes, as marked with arrows painted on road surface.

if right lane(s) is not dedicated turning right or u-turn, they will usually have a "NO RIGHT TURN" or "NO U-TURN" sign, sometimes symbols sometimes writen in Thai

Going straight ahead, you are in the wrong lane(s), illegally.

info available at DLT for those who want to learn TH traffic rules

still a bad habit to not indicate, but being in a lane as above, not mandatory

The arrows painted on the road indicate straight and right turn. if they indicated 100 metres before the turn which is law. i would not be there in the first place if they made their intention to turn clear before the light turns green or whatever.

Still bad driving not to make your next move clear to other motorists. just bottlenecks

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't stand the drivers who pull up to the lights in the right hand lane and once the light goes green they decide its time to use the indicator to turn right leaving the cars behind thinking it was going straight. this causes more bottlenecks than anything else in the island.

Right hand lane in a light junction in TH is usually, almost always, dedicated turning right, often 2 right hand lanes, as marked with arrows painted on road surface.

if right lane(s) is not dedicated turning right or u-turn, they will usually have a "NO RIGHT TURN" or "NO U-TURN" sign, sometimes symbols sometimes writen in Thai

The arrows painted on the road indicate straight and right turn. if they indicated 100 metres before the turn which is law. i would not be there in the first place if they made their intention to turn clear before the light turns green or whatever.

Still bad driving not to make your next move clear to other motorists. just bottlenecks

agreed, bad habit, impolite and inconsiderate I d say, to not indicate. for some od reason the 1979 road traffic act states indicator shall be used 30 meters ahead of junction/turning. IMHO way to short

I see what you mean but as KBB said those lanes are for turning right. I think there are worse general ignorance and arrogance here.

Has happened many times, been nudged and squeezed and nearly put in the ditch often. Does make you wonder if its on purpose or just simply not capable of operating a 2 tonne metal missile. I think probably half half. Maybe see the white skin and dont care much because they know if they kill a farang it will still be farangs fault. Gotta have eyes everywhere when driving the motorbike and drive defensively.

sounds to me your the kind of guy who keeps getting caught at the central festival junction when you try to be cool and cut traffic by the right lane.

I never put my indicator on that road exactly because of this. People who cut lines at lights by the right or left and dont intend to turn deserve to be pushed right back to the end of the queue or to get into an accident by cutting back into the moving cars

Can't stand the drivers who pull up to the lights in the right hand lane and once the light igoes green they decide its time to use the indicator to turn right leaving the cars behind thinking it was going straight. this causes more bottlenecks than anything else in the island.

sounds to me your the kind of guy who keeps getting caught at the central festival junction when you try to be cool and cut traffic by the right lane.

I never put my indicator on that road exactly because of this. People who cut lines at lights by the right or left and dont intend to turn deserve to be pushed right back to the end of the queue or to get into an accident by cutting back into the moving cars

that lane is for going straight and turning right.

If the car in front indicates his intentions i wouldn't be in that lane in the first place.

It has nothing to do with cutting in or being cool, its about the flow of traffic and selfish drivers who deliberately don't indicate just shows the mentality of the drivers here.

At least you admit to being one of the selfish few.

It must make your day to create traffic bottlenecks.

first of all there is a drawn out line that says its for turning right.

second it isnt for going straight as the straight line on the other side of the intersection is for uturns and doesnt last long and just causes more traffic when it merges dangerously.

basically every thai genius has learned after a week or 2 to stop going into these lanes.. just a few farang and taxi drivers trying to jump queue. Good fun.

Edited by thaiIand

Can't stand the drivers who pull up to the lights in the right hand lane and once the light igoes green they decide its time to use the indicator to turn right leaving the cars behind thinking it was going straight. this causes more bottlenecks than anything else in the island.

If the car in front indicates his intentions i wouldn't be in that lane in the first place.

It has nothing to do with cutting in or being cool, its about the flow of traffic and selfish drivers who deliberately don't indicate just shows the mentality of the drivers here.

The set up of the traffic lights there has changed some months ago. That lane used to be for going straight, but these days is only for turning right.

that lane is for turning right only, as indicated by painted arrows on road surface

in addition it has white solid line at left side, making it illegal to change lane

take a look next time :)

would have been even more clear if blue sign with white right turn arrow, but no budget I assume

In addition blue signs are not often used in Phuket, as drivers from so many cultures driving here do not want to learn Thai traffic rules, and thus would perhaps not understand the meaning of this sign

that lane is for turning right only, as indicated by painted arrows on road surface

in addition it has white solid line at left side, making it illegal to change lane

take a look next time :)

would have been even more clear if blue sign with white right turn arrow, but no budget I assume

In addition blue signs are not often used in Phuket, as drivers from so many cultures driving here do not want to learn Thai traffic rules, and thus would perhaps not understand the meaning of this sign

to ad salt to the wounds, being in this lane it is not mandatory to indicate right, as turning right is the only reason to be in this lane. however I still do it, to increase flow in traffic for others. arrows on road surface are not always easy to spot

to ad salt to the wounds, being in this lane it is not mandatory to indicate right, as turning right is the only reason to be in this lane. however I still do it, to increase flow in traffic for others. arrows on road surface are not always easy to spot

When I use the Central Festival intersection, sometimes there are cars that use the right-hand-turn-only lane to go straight ahead.

Then when the continuation of that lane stops some 100 metres on the other side of the intersection, they then merge left forcing right-of-way from other law-abiding drivers in the correct lane causing them to slow or stop.

At peak times, this can cause a build-up back down the road and across the intersection thus decreasing traffic flow through the intersection!

At most traffic lights I come to, too much green-light time is consumed by drivers who are in the wrong lane at the wrong time trying to jump the queue.

But TIT .......mai bpen rai :)

Sanuk :)

Edited by LivinginKata
quote error corrected

^

Sorry Thailand I disagree, I see most foreigners driving in sane manners if not just a little in need of extra patience is all . The really bad drivers, the ones that My Pen Rai drive that maim and kill others- 99 % are Thai men.

That's a universal problem and not particular to Phuket. Here in Phuket drivers faff about in the outside lane then at the last minute turn left into a side road. Just makes no sense to me.

Or turning right from the middle of the road as if they need all that room to negotiate the turn. Just oblivious to natural laws pertaining to inertia IMO. Worst is just before the left turn, pulling wide to the right first as if they are driving a semi tractor trailer. It is a challenge to remain unscathed.

Edited by TigerWan

^

Sorry Thailand I disagree, I see most foreigners driving in sane manners if not just a little in need of extra patience is all . The really bad drivers, the ones that My Pen Rai drive that maim and kill others- 99 % are Thai men.

That's a universal problem and not particular to Phuket. Here in Phuket drivers faff about in the outside lane then at the last minute turn left into a side road. Just makes no sense to me.

Or turning right from the middle of the road as if they need all that room to negotiate the turn. Just oblivious to natural laws pertaining to inertia IMO. Worst is just before the left turn, pulling wide to the right first as if they are driving a semi tractor trailer. It is a challenge to remain unscathed.

Don't forget that before starting to brake for the turn they have first overtaken you.

^

Don't forget that before starting to brake for the turn they have first overtaken you.

Good point, Thai drivers can neither make a 90 degree turn, or turn without cutting in fron of the car in front of them first.

Good point, Thai drivers can neither make a 90 degree turn, or turn without cutting in fron of the car in front of them first.

They seem to have very little depth perception besides having no idea about full wheel lock when turning or perhaps they think it damages their car. Pulling out to the centre to turn left into Central or Lotus when cars can be coming up from behind at speed is quite dangerous.

They seem to have very little depth perception besides having no idea about full wheel lock when turning or perhaps they think it damages their car. Pulling out to the centre to turn left into Central or Lotus when cars can be coming up from behind at speed is quite dangerous.

Not sure that it's got much to do with depth perception, I would say it has more to do with poor driver training and understanding of driving etiquette, lane discipline, etc. I fail to understand why motor bikes and even cars sit at the end of a side road turning right sitting on the wrong side of the road. Then no one approaching can enter that side road. Happens all the time.

And it's not only Thai drivers that are guilty of all the above.

The underlying problem is that cars have only been around for one generation, the car has been introduced to Thailand and the numbers of cars on the road has exploded, before that the Thais were mahoots (elephant jockeys).

But deep down I dont really get angry about it...i find it comical most of the time.

The underlying problem is that cars have only been around for one generation, the car has been introduced to Thailand and the numbers of cars on the road has exploded, before that the Thais were mahoots (elephant jockeys).

But deep down I dont really get angry about it...i find it comical most of the time.

Agreed ..... but driving standards are unlikely to improve as the next generation is watching the way their parents drive and no doubt will continue in the same style. Driving test standards need to be drastically improved.

I also don't get angry, I just shake my head in amazement.

I got angry this morning. Was riding the bike with the kid from Rawai to Kata, overtaking with a wide margin some of the ATV's riding there, when suddenly one of them decided to be funny and swerved all the way to the right, back to the left and again all the way back to the right. I was prepared so managed to avoid the guy, and the 'tourleader' of course did not notice anything.

When do they finally stop these guys illegally riding on the road there? No need for an answer to the question BTW.

Driving down the by pass road this morning when a pick-up heavily laden with logs passed me, talk about a cut and shut job, the nose of the truck was almost on the center line where as the rear was on the near side line, perfectly okay in Thailand of course!!! bad driving in a very bad and dangerous vehicle!!

Agreed ..... but driving standards are unlikely to improve as the next generation is watching the way their parents drive and no doubt will continue in the same style. Driving test standards need to be drastically improved.

I also don't get angry, I just shake my head in amazement.

back home one presently need at least

30 hours with a qualified instructor in traffic

one night learning nightvision driving and use of lights

one day on ice and snow or a track with similar surface

now you can do a 2 hour driving test on public roads, 70% pass

here in TH

there is no education, if one chooses to learn from an "instructor" focus is on gear and clutch and parking

test is a joke both theory and practical driving test at a field

just like it was back home 50 years ago

I find Th traffic to work surpisingly well considering the total lack of education and testing of drivers. As we can read in this topic, most of the posters here are aware of local motorists behaviour and thus should not be surpised by it.

I am close to 500.000km on Thai roads by now, and love driving here. It is never boring, it is exciting and challenging and a total focus on traffic is needed

Love driving here as well and nothing surprises me, concentration is very important as is consideration!!

must admit my first year here I was surpised by

motorbikes with red headlights and white tail light

cars, samlor and bikes coming towards me at the wrong side of the road, even in dark without lights, even at 120kmh highways

cars and bikes jumping out on the main road from a tiny private drive way, not even looking for other vehicles

indicating left and turning right, or indicating right and needing to change to left lane before making a u-turn

Not sure if anything could surpise me today B)

^

We all have different experiences and, therefore, perceptions.

Personally, I find tourists the worst offenders, and give them a v wide berth.

Plus, the only time I seriously thought I was going to die - was when some old farang turned straight into my path, without even bothering to look....

The assistant tourist police black fotuner doing 120+ swerving down whicit rd is dangerous.

either thinks he above the law now with the badge or he was rushing to the scene of a major case and he needs to preserve the scene, csi style.

Slow down as#@*%e

The assistant tourist police black fotuner doing 120+ swerving down whicit rd is dangerous.

either thinks he above the law now with the badge or he was rushing to the scene of a major case and he needs to preserve the scene, csi style.

Slow down as#@*%e

I've seen that jerk driving like a manic as well! Yesterday a tourist police car decided to overtake several cars just past Icon heading toward Nai Harn. There were three motorbikes, including me that had to slam on their brakes to avoid this jerk since he was in our lane. Driving in high season is the worst!

Slow down as#@*%e

totally agree

and Tourist Police "assistant", what is that? anyone from The Tourist Police Volunteers care to comment?

rush to scene in a fortuna? touristpolice mainly work foot patrolling

I believe he is Thai national, seems to live in Rawai, and he sure drives and park lika a total jurk wherever he comes from,