Drug Testing At Pia

golfbum

I heard that the teaching staff at PIA were subjected to an impromptu drug test today at the request of the owner - no warning.

I'm curious to know if they are contractually obligated to co-operate?

I have heard that foreigners can refuse on-the-spot police drug tests in Thailand, though the police may not release you unless you oblige.

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Is this a bad thing?

Not if you don't mind losing freedom.

Also, remember that these tests can be rigged.

I'm presently in the states and all my old friends just stay home anymore. They are afraid to go out as one or two beers can get them a DUI

It's like they're living under a giant hand suppressing them.

Times are changing and IMO, yes, it is a bad thing.

I'm presently in the states and all my old friends just stay home anymore. They are afraid to go out as one or two beers can get them a DUI

The OP is about drugs,not alcohol.Yes it's a good thing.

Is this a bad thing?

Yeah it's great to just give up your rights and freedom... Alcohol is a drug, just a socially accepted one...

Yeah it's great to just give up your rights and freedom... Alcohol is a drug, just a socially accepted one...

So is driving against traffic flow or ignoring traffic lights,all rights and freedoms you had to give up because there is a law.

That's a really weak argument, especially here in Phuket!

Those who demand "freedom" and a reduction in police activity are the first ones who shouts for the cops when someone else expresses their "freedom" against them. And my guess is the first time some idiot wacked out on yaba or ice runs into them on their motorcycle and injuries them, they won't congratulate the person on their freedom to get high, but demand a reason there wasn't drug testing...

To be honest, in Thailand, on the spot drug testing for amphetamines is quite normal. The company I work for springs this on us twice a year. I would assume one can say "no", but it would probably look suspicious. I don't work at PIA so I can't say, but from my experience in Thailand, HR usually informs you of the chance of random drug testing when you are at the job interview.

Those who demand "freedom" and a reduction in police activity are the first ones who shouts for the cops when someone else expresses their "freedom" against them. And my guess is the first time some idiot wacked out on yaba or ice runs into them on their motorcycle and injuries them, they won't congratulate the person on their freedom to get high, but demand a reason there wasn't drug testing...

Yeah right and you and many more haven't driven drunk...

I have a friend who works for another industry, he didnt want to take the test, same freedom reason, they said you dont have to do the test but they don't have to renew your contract.

If it was my job on the line I would (and do) take the tests. If you aren't a druggy whats the problem really?

I certainly wasn't demanding anything.

Just pointing out a world where these kinds of freedoms have been removed.

It isn't pretty.

And the people are not happy.

Is this a bad thing?

The old "freedom" chestnut coupled with the "tests can be rigged" follow on, supported by the "it's like they're living under a giant hand suppressing them" argument.

Yep, pretty much covered all the expected weak arguments in one email. Congratulations.

I would have no issue taking a drug test and do not consider a loss of freedom at all.

If I had a kid at PIA, I would also welcome the tests on those responsible for molding my kid...

I consider those that use the "weak" arguments probably have a "reason" to protest so much.

It's the world we live in...get used to it.

Is this a bad thing?

Not like, but are. I left 6 years ago and the two visits back I've made since have been horrifying. Going through an airport check point is right out of a dystopia novel. The news is so blatantly designed to inflict fear and loathing, it really is depressing.

Drug tests are infamously fallible, especially when untrained staff administer them and many have been railroaded and persecuted falsely.

If a teacher smokes a little dope after work on the weekend, does it really make them a monster to be castigated? Frankly I'd rather have them than an alcoholic teaching kids.

Is this a bad thing?

Not like, but are. I left 6 years ago and the two visits back I've made since have been horrifying. Going through an airport check point is right out of a dystopia novel. The news is so blatantly designed to inflict fear and loathing, it really is depressing.

Drug tests are infamously fallible, especially when untrained staff administer them and many have been railroaded and persecuted falsely.

If a teacher smokes a little dope after work on the weekend, does it really make them a monster to be castigated? Frankly I'd rather have them than an alcoholic teaching kids.

Claims suppression of freedom - check

Claims drug tests are fallible - check

Claims its ok for teacher to smoke dope - check

Predictable and transparent - check.

Fail.

Fail.

Why would it not be ok to smoke a little dope after work? No difference at all with a beer or 2 IMO.

1322737420[/url]' post='4884470']
1322737121[/url]' post='4884460']

Frankly I'd rather have them than an alcoholic teaching kids.

What about a teacher who does his job without being doped or pissed :whistling:

So a teacher can't drink a beer or 2 at night?

Don't you know, beer is a gateway drug!biggrin.gif

Yeah right and you and many more haven't driven drunk...

Exactly!

Fail.

Failure at discourse- check.

I think the alcohol industry has a huge influence on drug laws. Cigarette companies, too.

I don' think teachers should be stoned or drunk, but I argue the differing penalties are unjust.

In the US , conglomerates owned by the usual suspects build prisons. Thailand goes along with the war on citizenry so at attain funding to support various official's lifestyles.IMO

Edited by TigerWan

Good example here of that corporatized influence on attitudes, you don't consider alcohol a drug. Of course it is but a compound, and of coursea compound that acts as a drug.

As there are irresponsible alcohol users. In fact I'd say alcohol is the more common element in well... just about all crimes and other societal ills..

There is a good argument that drugs aren't a problem, until they are criminalized.

Sorry to hear that PIA , that seemed so progressive, is pulling this crap.