Restumping An Old Wodden House

mijan24

Posted tis question in Real Estate no response thought it might be worth trying a wider audience - here goes nothing ventured nothing gained:

I believe there are companies here in Thailand that will restump a house has anyone had experience with such a company?

Second question is the choice of material many Thais seem very reluctant to use concrete stumps I am aware of the "exploding problem" relating to the ingress of water which reacts with the reinforcing steel rod.

Surely by ensuring that the reo does not protrude and using a quality sealant this problem would be reduced/elimiated.

Would be very interested to hear all points of view. I really don't need to be told relocate the post is about Stumping Companies and choice of materials. :whistling:

I think this will be better off in DIY, people over there know about this sort of thing.

I will also close the other topic you started in Real Estate as we do not want multiple topics running

" Stumping Companies " not sure if there is such a thing.

The only Thai builder that would be reluctant about cement is one that doesn't know what to do.

You don't explain exactly what the situation is whether in water already or dry at the moment, what is wrong with existing wooden stumps ( columns ), concrete could be put around to reinforce, you want to make them higher while the building is still kept in tact, etc etc.

Existing wooden stumps, columns are usually concreted in the ground already, cement mixes have improved over years, they even build dams with it.:D .

I will assume you want concrete column that will be in water apart from the foundation part, a ready concrete mix of maximum strength will be needed i.e. 280 " Steng " which used in swimming pools approaching 2 m depth, good quality cement is required :- Nok Insi Brand or Diamond Pesch.

If brands above are not available, be sure to get an equivalent, there usually a international cement spec printed on each bag to verify use.

Edited by Kwasaki

" Stumping Companies " not sure if there is such a thing.

The only Thai builder that would be reluctant about cement is one that doesn't know what to do.

You don't explain exactly what the situation is whether in water already or dry at the moment, what is wrong with existing wooden stumps ( columns ), concrete could be put around to reinforce, you want to make them higher while the building is still kept in tact, etc etc.

Existing wooden stumps, columns are usually concreted in the ground already, cement mixes have improved over years, they even build dams with it.:D .

I will assume you want concrete column that will be in water apart from the foundation part, a ready concrete mix of maximum strength will be needed i.e. 280 " Steng " which used in swimming pools approaching 2 m depth, good quality cement is required :- Nok Insi Brand or Diamond Pesch.

If brands above are not available, be sure to get an equivalent, there usually a international cement spec printed on each bag to verify use.

Thanks for the input very valuable information - Stumps (columns) base in water constantly except for turn of the tide (banks of the Chao Pra Ya) have a friend who is a surveyor in PNG we are discussing the situation also methods to prevent susidence.

With an existing structure overhead its more a question of construction means and methods - versus materials - since you'll need clearance above to drill & drop in form tubes for poured-in-place, or a rig for concrete driven piers. This is assuming you have to keep the existing pier locations.

One problem with pouring wet concrete a wooden post is that over time with water in the concrete the posts will be soaked and rot from within the concrete.

It happened to me in a small way in the UK when I put the fence posts into the concrete without wrapping them in waterproof plastic first.

After a while in a very strong wind the fence fell down.

I have had the experience to a certain degree.

On the banks of the Chao Phaya, this might not be practical, but.........

I have a house with 30-35 year old concrete pillars that cracked and spalled to the point that it was getting dangerous. I had a cousin get one of his civil engineering buddies from the local university to come out and survey the problem. The cousin said his company could jack up the house and sink new pillars.

This was originally just a wooden house on stilts and we enclosed the downstairs some 20-25 years ago. So the upper floor load was all on the beams and could be jacked up.

This particular method might not be possible with a more modern house and/or on the banks of a river.

You might ask one of the universities if they have any graduates working in a company that could handle that type of job. You can not be first one in Thailand to need to have that done.

With an existing structure overhead its more a question of construction means and methods - versus materials - since you'll need clearance above to drill & drop in form tubes for poured-in-place, or a rig for concrete driven piers. This is assuming you have to keep the existing pier locations.

I have a house with 30-35 year old concrete pillars that cracked and spalled to the point that it was getting dangerous. I had a cousin get one of his civil engineering buddies from the local university to come out and survey the problem. The cousin said his company could jack up the house and sink new pillars.

This was originally just a wooden house on stilts and we enclosed the downstairs some 20-25 years ago. So the upper floor load was all on the beams and could be jacked up.

This particular method might not be possible with a more modern house and/or on the banks of a river.

You might ask one of the universities if they have any graduates working in a company that could handle that type of job. You can not be first one in Thailand to need to have that done.

You are correct not the first and certainly not the last - I am sure I have heard of Thai companies that handle these type of jobs - but thanks for the input it all adds up in the end.

The small pile driver is one way to go and over the years I have watched Thais employ various techniques to raise houses mainly consisting a block and tackle and leverage. ( A skyhook would have been ideal but they worked around the non availabilty and came up with some ingenious ideas). Will definately post if I find a company or technique for the entertainment of TV DiY's.

You are correct not the first and certainly not the last - I am sure I have heard of Thai companies that handle these type of jobs - but thanks for the input it all adds up in the end.

The small pile driver is one way to go and over the years I have watched Thais employ various techniques to raise houses mainly consisting a block and tackle and leverage. ( A skyhook would have been ideal but they worked around the non availabilty and came up with some ingenious ideas). Will definately post if I find a company or technique for the entertainment of TV DiY's.

Why not google one of the Queensland house removal companies, who restump , raise, and move houses of all shapes and sizes, surely they could offer advice and tips , because that is their bread and butter,Wassell house removals of Jandowe are a reputable family firm , or Dalby removals give it atry :jap:

Thanks for the input very valuable information - Stumps (columns) base in water constantly except for turn of the tide (banks of the Chao Pra Ya) have a friend who is a surveyor in PNG we are discussing the situation also methods to prevent susidence.

If there is no sign of subsidence now then that's good and makes things easier, there's not much to worry about.

What are the columns, wood, concrete or brick. ??

How long is it between tides and are all the columns free of water at the time. ??

Do you know how deep the columns go into the ground. ??

What is the ground, sandy, mud, firm, soft, clay, stoney etc etc. ??

There is a simple solution and procedure for to be using Hydraulic cement and also if necessary putting in additional columns.

K

Edited by Kwasaki

If there is no sign of subsidence now then that's good and makes things easier, there's not much to worry about.

What are the columns, wood, concrete or brick. ??

How long is it between tides and are all the columns free of water at the time. ??

Do you know how deep the columns go into the ground. ??

What is the ground, sandy, mud, firm, soft, clay, stoney etc etc. ??

There is a simple solution and procedure for to be using Hydraulic cement and also if necessary putting in additional columns.

K

Just wanted to add for your information if you have more than two to three feet maximum water coming in around the stumps (columns) you need an engineer to design

a " cofferdam " to enable your builder to carry out the reinforcing or underpinning works.

Edited by Kwasaki

Say, 3 years ago I was looking for house along Klong Om (Nonthaburi) and Klong Bangkok Noi.

Talked with several people/potential sellers. Some houses obviously needed new columns.

I was told that jacking up/renewing columns was a reasonably straight forward job.

If you take a trip along the klongs you may just see some building activity in progress and enquire who/how/cost etc.

Interesting in that you'd want to have a house sitting on piles in the Cho Praya river. Nevertheless, as for adding pile under an existing structure, if room is available, one may use "segmented pile," or shortened sections to be spliced at each joint for ease of driver access and location. I drove Steel Jacketed pile in the Persian Gulf with a special sea water resiliant compound concrete pumped into the jacketed sections. Re-bar cages were also inserted prior to concrete pumping. One reason for "concrete spalling," is that the re-bar was rusted prior to the concrete addition. The corrosion creates a void and spalling and cracking occurs. You may already be aware of this factor. Once the re-bar rots the void is left. You may purchase treated re-bar with an water resistant corrosion resistant epoxy coating.

One other thought is to splice the existing piles to new quality pre-cast piles and drive them adjacent to the existing ones. No demo required and it keeps the structure in tack for the most part. I suggest further that you remove floor boards above the existing piles and roof sections to allow full access to the pile driver. Sounds difficult, but it will serve the purpose and can be put back in order rapidly.

Were your existing piles water treated prior to installation? I doubt it and you may wish to consider this when driving new piles. Water resistant concrete isn't cheap. The suggested jacking method is perhaps the best solution, but by no means the only solution. I also suggest you do a thorough inspection of your existing structure for wet rot and other non-conforming materials.