Driving License Renewal

Forkinhades

Renewed my 5 year Driving License today. Took about 90 mins. You DO NOT need photos! which cost me 120 baht for 8 outside on one of the stalls. You do need a SHIRT, I had a vest on, so had to hire one for 60 baht! You do need letter of residence from Immigration, 200 baht, the girl outside said she could do it for 800! Had an eye test, and then had to sit through a training video. It appears that now their is a point system, whereas you get deducted 40 points for an offence, like spitting out of the car window!! could not really see all the translation at the bottom of the screen, as it was only an 17 inch TV.Can somebody clarify what this point system is?Also I forgot to take my motorbike license, so can I back with my new DL, and old MB license and renew? or do I need another letter of residency from immigration?

long sleeve collared shirt and trousers is the best bet when dealing with any government agency in Thailand, look at how the Thais dress in the same situation. You won't get much respect in your fishnet wife-beater v-neck shirt,nylon imitation Camelwear shorts and 20 baht 7/11 flip-flops.

long sleeve collared shirt and trousers is the best bet when dealing with any government agency in Thailand, look at how the Thais dress in the same situation. You won't get much respect in your fishnet wife-beater v-neck shirt,nylon imitation Camelwear shorts and 20 baht 7/11 flip-flops.

Indeed, just felt like slumming it today rolleyes.gif

My missis had a problem getting into the place to renew her 5-year DL. She was dressed perfectly respectably except that she was wearing shorts - but not short ones. No way would they let her inside and she was not amused!

I'm certainly aware that it's a good idea to dress respectfully when visiting any government office - and I do. Makes you wonder though when you see some of the sights in Jompthien Immigration. I guess that they must have different standards to the Land Transport Office!

DM

Forkinhades, did you have to do the test where you line up two poles ? I had to do it last year on my first driving licence application, and didn't really understand it, until I had a look at the machine. Still found it difficult, even when I knew what to do. is there a form for the letter of residence from immigration ? I was told at Phitsanulok that they charged 2000 baht for this.

Forkinhades, did you have to do the test where you line up two poles ? I had to do it last year on my first driving licence application, and didn't really understand it, until I had a look at the machine. Still found it difficult, even when I knew what to do. is there a form for the letter of residence from immigration ? I was told at Phitsanulok that they charged 2000 baht for this.

everyone passed the machine to line up the two 'poles' but nobody did it, maybe it was broken. I remember doing it on my first application 6 years ago.

Your question: do I need another letter of residence? Yes, you need a letter for each drivers license. Here in Korat 500 Baht also.

Barry

If you have a copy of the one you just used you might get away with it. To save a wasted journey I would ring up and ask or ask a thai speaker to ring for you if you do not speak Thai.

I had only one original and a copy when I applied for both licences in July - but you are in a bit of an inbetween situation.....

interesting that you had to watch the video, I just got a car DL (already have motorbike) and my UK DL was enough to avoid doing anything except the eye tests.

That works for the initial one year licence, I think you get to watch the video when you renew for the 5 year edition! Something to look forward to next year!

This year I've had Letter/Certificate of Residence issued at Immigration in Udon, Nakhon Phanom and Phuket, all free.

Wouldn't the "Yellow House Registration Book" suffice?

Yes, the Yellow Book should suffice. Unfortunately, depending on where you live, Yellow Books can be hard to obtain. I gave up trying to get the Banglamung Amphur to issue one to me after several weeks of being given the run-around. When it came to the point where the head honcho showed me the inside of one of his steel cupboards - stacked to the gills with bottles of JW Black - I knew exactly what the situation was and I wasn't having any of it!

That was several years ago so maybe things have changed but I haven't tried again.

DM

interesting that you had to watch the video, I just got a car DL (already have motorbike) and my UK DL was enough to avoid doing anything except the eye tests.

That works for the initial one year licence, I think you get to watch the video when you renew for the 5 year edition! Something to look forward to next year!

All depends on where you go. I just did a renewal (5 yr to 5 yr) in Rayong in July, and didn't have to do anything other than paperwork....

everyone passed the machine to line up the two 'poles' but nobody did it, maybe it was broken. I remember doing it on my first application 6 years ago.

I had to sit this one last year. Had to try 3 times before I got it right, I found it was very difficult to line up those two sticks. Don't know if that's something that can be corrected with glasses or you're hosed if you just can't do it. I supposed as with many things here there is some "way" around it.

Your question: do I need another letter of residence? Yes, you need a letter for each drivers license. Here in Korat 500 Baht also.

Barry

I've always just used a copy of the original when I was renewing DL for car and bike, they never said anything in Pattaya. Don't know about other places though.

Last year I did my 3rd renewal and I *still* had to sit through that video. Last year they said nothing about a point system, never heard of it anywhere else either, but why not, I guess they just follow the rest of the world.

I'm certainly aware that it's a good idea to dress respectfully when visiting any government office - and I do. Makes you wonder though when you see some of the sights in Jompthien Immigration. I guess that they must have different standards to the Land Transport Office!

The Immigration is a "farang/foreigner only" office. Thai people normally doesn't visit this office...maybe that's the difference.

The DLT has a big sign at the entrance which points out to wear proper clothes....:whistling:

Last week, missus and me went to the DLT Banglamung. I wore a Jeans (long) and a normal shirt (no Singha/Chang muscle shirt <_<)

Missus a short, (nearly knee long, but not the bitch style ones) trouser...no problem at all.

Maybe the "general appearance" is more or less important.....

Edited by roban

i went yesterday, took 20 minutes (3pm, go late in the afternoon when everyone has finished their first time testing), at 3pm there 1 person in line before me. you need 1 copy of everything per licence (residence, passport, medical, old licence). my old license was over 30 days past it's expiration. no need to re-test anything, no eye test or anything like that, just put the docs in, wait for photo, get license, leave.

This year I've had Letter/Certificate of Residence issued at Immigration in Udon, Nakhon Phanom and Phuket, all free.

It's my understanding that a work permit will be accepted in lieu of a letter of residence. Does anybody know if that's (still) true?

Correct WP acceptable

i went yesterday, took 20 minutes (3pm, go late in the afternoon when everyone has finished their first time testing), at 3pm there 1 person in line before me. you need 1 copy of everything per licence (residence, passport, medical, old licence). my old license was over 30 days past it's expiration. no need to re-test anything, no eye test or anything like that, just put the docs in, wait for photo, get license, leave.

When I renewed my 5-yr motorbike DL earlier this year, I didn't need the medical certificate, though I did bring one.

All depends on where you go. I just did a renewal (5 yr to 5 yr) in Rayong in July, and didn't have to do anything other than paperwork....

Hi QED sorry could you explain me where the office is in Rayong?

Many thanks

Max

Hi QED sorry could you explain me where the office is in Rayong?

Many thanks

Max

Terry answered you much more succintly than I ever could have.

Residence Cetificate from Phuket Immigration is 300 Baht. Not free.

And you need an certificate for car and bike seperate.

Also a picture is required as they put it on the certificate they print.