smiling mantis

Your ps3 can play all the zones

Zone is basically nothing but stands for the different regions

Zone 1 = American region

Zone 2 = European region

Zone 3 = Asian region

Zone 4 = Australian region

Basically you dont need to worry about zones unless you need to buy DLC

for example if you buy zone 1 which is the american version you need to make sure you buy the DLC from a US play station store or it wont work with other region stores

basically if you dont need DLC you dont need to worry about Zones

But if you need DLCS

then buy the following games in this region

Uncharted 3 = region 3

Call of duty mw3 = region 1

Battlefield 3 = region 3

Skyrim= region 1

GTA 4 region 3

Etc...............

remember some playstation stores might not have some DLC which other might have

for example Call of duty black ops the thailand playstation store doesn't have the DLC for it but the US Playstation store has it so its recommended you buy Region 1

Remember if you dont need DLC you dont really need to worry about any ZONES

Also sometimes region 1 games have better resale values then other regions

Goodluck

Edited by shariq607

Thanks so much, this makes sense.

So to repeat and maybe rephrase a little, I should always buy Region 1 US if in doubt, because the DLC will always be available for Region 1, but if I happen to know that the DLC will be available for Region 3, then buy that version because it will be cheaper, right?

And with something like Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition, which is basically the original version plus all of the DLC released thus far, Region 3 makes sense even if the DLC wasn't originally available for Region 3 since they just went ahead and released an all-new game incorporating it all, and as it isn't likely we'll see new DLC given that GTA V is on the horizon.

Essentially, the Thais use Z to mean Zone, when everybody else is using R to mean Region.

yeah getting region 1 games would be a good choice because finding asian psn card is very hard to find compared to US psn cards

but also note that certain region 3 games also have DLCs in the Thai psn store where you can use your thai credit card and be hassle free

for example uncharted 3 has the content available in local thai psn store so no use buying american or region 1 versions

If you really need help you can list the games you gonna buy here so i can tell guide you with what versions to buy..

good luck

Actually your list is very good, and thanks to your input a PS3 should be on its way... I'm getting GTA IV and Battlefield 3--both region 3--the other titles/regions are out of stock.

The only other title I can think of now that I might be interested in is Unreal 3, which is a title I'm expect there to be a lot of DLC for.