Thai King Birthday Pardon Excludes Thaksin: Official

Lite Beer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a brilliant idea. Release 22,000 convicted criminals on the streets ! I wonder if the crime rate goes up every year around this time ?

So all convicted criminals should stay locked up forever?

Depends on the crime. If someone raped your mother would you be happy if they got out early?

Equally interesting to find out will be the number of incarcerated Red Shirt affiliated criminals that get let out. Watch this space....

what more get the poor and honest people than the relaese of 20 000 criminals?

because thats the only thing the media talks about ?

Surely there are more incentifs for the non criminals?

What a brilliant idea. Release 22,000 convicted criminals on the streets ! I wonder if the crime rate goes up every year around this time ?

Depends on the crime. If someone raped your mother would you be happy if they got out early?

Unfortunately those people rarely get punished at all. It is more likely that larger majority of those pardoned were harmless druggies and pensioners.

Unfortunately those people rarely get punished at all. It is more likely that larger majority of those pardoned were harmless druggies and pensioners.

Since when was being a pensioner considered a crime in Thailand?

I'm guessing that the PM has it within her power to simply direct (via her chain-of-command - she wouldn't have to appear to do it personally) that TS NOT be arrested if and when he returns to Thailand (thus the reason for his passport). As long as she is PM, I don't think he stands much chance of being arrested. That whole scenario might raise a lot of hell, but even without the pardon, I don't think he necessarily faces arrest despite his standing convicted status. As with any legal question, there are always two sides to any dispute. And I'm sure it's not beyond the current govt's capability to formulate some legal theory that allows him to remain free (perhaps pending some sort of appeal or technical review).

'Could be some interesting times ahead...

Thaksin got the boot in 2006, more than 5 years ago. This obsession is unhealthy.

Another point of view;

Screw me once - shame on you.

Screw me twice -shame on me.

Long live the King and best of luck to Thailand.

Equally interesting to find out will be the number of incarcerated Red Shirt affiliated criminals that get let out. Watch this space....

Not many I would imagine.

You're very probably right there - the number of convicted Red Shirts is probably less than 20 at a guess, including the seven who recently got 6 months for violating the emergency decree (one got an additional 3 years for stealing a mobile phone and battery) - they couldn't charge them for arson at Central World as they were nothing to do with it. And seeing as they have already spent 18 months behind bars six of them should be set free anyway. Yes, held in prison for 1 year more than their sentence.

So actually probably less than 10.

I do not know what the position is as far as the amnesty is concerned with the Red Shirts that haven't been to trial yet , 18 months after been sent to prison.

"they couldn't charge them for arson at Central World as they were nothing to do with it"

So, it was simply pure conincidence that many buildings were set on fire mysteriously all over the capital city by whom??? .......shoppers??? in the days following the red shirt leaders "rabid" pronouncements on stage and when they realised their game was up and that they had LOST in fervently compelling their idiotic followers to "go forth and torch Bangkok".

I suppose it could have been coincidence and maybe it was a case of multiple and simultaneous spontaneous ignition inside high profile buildings with people running away from the scenes at this unusual phenomenon with fear in their hearts at what was occurring using lighters to light their way in making their escape!!!

Yeh!!! Right!!!!!............ I think that you are a tad delusional when it comes to facing reality!!!!:jap:.

Is there any information on how King decides issues.

Does he have political recommendations put forward to him.

How does this thing work?

The King handpicks his own Privy Councillors who are available to offer advice. The President of the Privy Council is a retired Army General, General Prem. Wiki is useful.

Can we all get off the Taksin rants and just HONOR the KING on this, his birthday please?

Sorry - but you are on the wrong thread as this one involves THAKSIN!!!!!:blink:.

Try the "king's birthday" thread!!!!!

The suggestion was simply that no matter what the thread that you just give it a REST for at least one day and honor the King of Thailand. I'm sure all the anti taksin rants can and will resume in full force tomorrow. Just one day...think positive thoughts about the King and clear the taksin hatred away...for ONE DAY.

You're very probably right there - the number of convicted Red Shirts is probably less than 20 at a guess, including the seven who recently got 6 months for violating the emergency decree (one got an additional 3 years for stealing a mobile phone and battery) - they couldn't charge them for arson at Central World as they were nothing to do with it. And seeing as they have already spent 18 months behind bars six of them should be set free anyway. Yes, held in prison for 1 year more than their sentence.

So actually probably less than 10.

I do not know what the position is as far as the amnesty is concerned with the Red Shirts that haven't been to trial yet , 18 months after been sent to prison.

Perhaps they should ask for a credit note for their next sentence.

As for those still on remand, perhaps they should ask the government that they helped install to accelerate their cases to trial, if they could spare a little time from helping their criminal leader get visas, passport and pardon.

Considering the amount of outright libel committed on this forum, maybe the libelous posters should start asking for credit notes on their sentences for when the authorities get through the more important, pressing matters, and eventually find the time to deal with all the less pressing stuff that needs to be dealt with.

As there is only one important matter to this government, and they are having little success with it, that may take some time.

I'm guessing that the PM has it within her power to simply direct (via her chain-of-command - she wouldn't have to appear to do it personally) that TS NOT be arrested if and when he returns to Thailand (thus the reason for his passport). As long as she is PM, I don't think he stands much chance of being arrested. That whole scenario might raise a lot of hell, but even without the pardon, I don't think he necessarily faces arrest despite his standing convicted status. As with any legal question, there are always two sides to any dispute. And I'm sure it's not beyond the current govt's capability to formulate some legal theory that allows him to remain free (perhaps pending some sort of appeal or technical review).

The Prime Minister is not above the law; no government official has the authority to overrule a judicial conviction and arrest warrant. Only the king has the power to grant amnesty.

Secondly, one of the fundamental prerequisites for issuance of a Thai passport is that the applicant must not have prior convictions. Thaksin was convicted of corruption (a serious crime), sentenced to two years in jail, and the arrest warrant for that conviction is still in full force and effect. Additional arrest warrants for Thaksin are also still in effect on other charges.

The Prime Minister is not above the law; no government official has the authority to overrule a judicial conviction and arrest warrant. Only the king has the power to grant amnesty.

Secondly, one of the fundamental prerequisites for issuance of a Thai passport is that the applicant must not have prior convictions. Thaksin was convicted of corruption (a serious crime), sentenced to two years in jail, and the arrest warrant for that conviction is still in full force and effect. Additional arrest warrants for Thaksin are also still in effect on other charges. Therefore, under the rule of Thai law, he is not entitled to a Thai passport, and any issuance of a passport by a government official would be a further violation of the law, thereby subjecting that person (presumably the Thai minister of foreign affairs) to charges of negligence, treason, corruption, collusion, conspiracy, as well as aiding and abetting a known fugitive felon.

Secondly, one of the fundamental prerequisites for issuance of a Thai passport is that the applicant must not have prior convictions. Thaksin was convicted of corruption (a serious crime), sentenced to two years in jail, and the arrest warrant for that conviction is still in full force and effect. Additional arrest warrants for Thaksin are also still in effect on other charges. Therefore, under the rule of Thai law, he is not entitled to a Thai passport, and any issuance of a passport by a government official would be a further violation of the law, thereby subjecting that person (presumably the Thai minister of foreign affairs) to charges of negligence, treason, corruption, collusion, conspiracy, as well as aiding and abetting a known fugitive felon.

Yes, this is all true, in most modern countries, but this is Thailand, and they seem to do pretty much any thing they want to no matter how stupid or illegal it my be to the worlds courts.

Can we all get off the Taksin rants and just HONOR the KING on this, his birthday please?

Sorry - but you are on the wrong thread as this one involves THAKSIN!!!!!:blink:.

Try the "king's birthday" thread!!!!!

The suggestion was simply that no matter what the thread that you just give it a REST for at least one day and honor the King of Thailand. I'm sure all the anti taksin rants can and will resume in full force tomorrow. Just one day...think positive thoughts about the King and clear the taksin hatred away...for ONE DAY.

Well in that case WHY bother having all of the other threads on this day??

Just stick with the king's birthday thread and comment about NOTHING else!!!!:blink:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

A better idea would be to lock up 1 fugitive for 2 years!!!!

That would resove one hell of a lot of issues in Thailand!!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE