Cash In Pocket

There is a possibility that you may get stopped and questioned by the UK authorities just before you board your flight (they are quite often on the look out for people taking large amounts of cash out of the country).

Why do you need to take that much cash with you?..Travellers cheques are safer and you will get a better exchange rate for them once in Thailand

You WILL NOT have a problem with customs, that amount is well below their radar. As long as you feel safe in the UK with the cash in pocket, you will be fine. No worries on this side.

BTW, when will you be landing and which pocket do you keep you cash in??? ;)

There is a possibility that you may get stopped and questioned by the UK authorities just before you board your flight (they are quite often on the look out for people taking large amounts of cash out of the country).

Why do you need to take that much cash with you?..Travellers cheques are safer and you will get a better exchange rate for them once in Thailand

So travellers cheque is an option, where can I get it? How does it work? Sorry if my question seems to be odd, but I have never had one.

Get major traveler's cheques from AAA travel service here in the USA. Most major banks also. I presume the equivalent in the UK. Another post says the charge is 33 baht per traveler's cheque when you cash them in Thailand. so get the largest denomination you can.

Yes, right, I have just checked the net, and banks, post office can issue traveler's cheques. Better to take the money on this way.

Thanks

You may get sniffed out by one of the dogs if the money is in one of your bags, but as the sniffer dogs are pretty low on the ground you should be Ok if you are a tall gent. Besides which, you will be asked how much you have and probably just allowed to pass without having to show it.

Marks and Spencer is your best bet for pound sterling travellers cheques in the UK as they charge a lower percentage than all the banks and try and get as many 100 pound travellers cheques as possible as there is a 33 baht charge for each cheque you change over here, but apart from all this travellers cheques are 100% the best option for you.

You WILL NOT have a problem with customs, that amount is well below their radar. As long as you feel safe in the UK with the cash in pocket, you will be fine. No worries on this side.

BTW, when will you be landing and which pocket do you keep you cash in??? ;)

An amount above 1000 pounds you have to show that it is yours if they ask for it.

An amount above 10000 pounds you have to declare.

slight off topic - does anyone know how much i can bring OUT of thailand? the bank rates for internet transfer is bad and i was thinking i bring money home to change with the money changer.

I saw 2 different amount while going through the forum. One says 50k THB, the other says not more than 10k USD equivalent.

What's the right answer?

You may get sniffed out by one of the dogs if the money is in one of your bags, but as the sniffer dogs are pretty low on the ground you should be Ok if you are a tall gent. Besides which, you will be asked how much you have and probably just allowed to pass without having to show it.

:lol: I am not too tall but might put the money in my hat

There are 'Safety Sams' everywhere. I have been coming to Thailand for 30+ years. Never had a problem carrying cash in large amounts. 2,000 pounds is not a really large amount. Do not advertise it, don't keep it all in the same place, no one will ask about it and the really best reason against them is that you have to pay for them on both ends and the better exchange rate is gone out the window and also it takes apparently every bank officer to approve them in order to cash them.

So travellers cheque is an option, where can I get it? How does it work? Sorry if my question seems to be odd, but I have never had one.

Thomas Cook on the High St., or your own bank, or any bank.

slight off topic - does anyone know how much i can bring OUT of thailand? the bank rates for internet transfer is bad and i was thinking i bring money home to change with the money changer.

I saw 2 different amount while going through the forum. One says 50k THB, the other says not more than 10k USD equivalent.

What's the right answer?

No more than THB 50k without BOT approval.

In practice you can carry out as much foreign currency as you wish although I suspect the Customs regs limit it technically to the amount you brought in, in over 400 hundred entry/exits here this has never been an issue for me.

The USD 10k figure comes from the maximum amount of currency that can be transmitted overseas at any one time, without BOT approval - note: the banks act as BOT's agent in this respect.

Finally and for the OP: you CAN carry as much cash as you want to out of the UK as long as you can prove where it came from and prove ownership also.

Edited by chiang mai

You get a better exchange rate on Travelers Cheques compared to cash ?

No. Money changers like Superrich give better rates and no commission.

TCs are quite a thing of the past. Don't bother with it.

I dont know about that....

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Web%20Services/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Note the buying TT rate....yes only a small difference but adds up on large amounts.

Also a couple of small benefits....

If lost or stolen easily replaced in less than 24 hours

They are free for me from my US credit union

ie: no charge to withdraw in TC from my accounts.

TC's provided free of charge

TC's available in $500 USD bills.

Cash only $100 max ( So large amounts less bulky in TC's )

When boarding & asked if I have more than 10k cash I always say no :)

Edited by flying

There are 'Safety Sams' everywhere. I have been coming to Thailand for 30+ years. Never had a problem carrying cash in large amounts. 2,000 pounds is not a really large amount. Do not advertise it, don't keep it all in the same place, no one will ask about it and the really best reason against them is that you have to pay for them on both ends and the better exchange rate is gone out the window and also it takes apparently every bank officer to approve them in order to cash them.

A "saftey Sam" or a prudent man can simply be judged by calculating the amount of tarts a man plans on letting in his room...............

You get a better exchange rate on Travelers Cheques compared to cash ?

No. Money changers like Superrich give better rates and no commission.

TCs are quite a thing of the past. Don't bother with it.

I dont know about that....

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Web%20Services/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

Note the buying TT rate....yes only a small difference but adds up on large amounts.

The rate of SuperRich is constantly better than the TT rate of Thai banks.