Building A House In Isaan

Siam_Sam

Next year my Thai wife and I will be going to Thailand for about six months or more with the intention of buidling a house on her land in Buriram. We are in the process of planning the design for the house and we have made enquiries in her village as to finding suitable builders for this project. Obviously the fact that we are so far away in the UK makes the logistics of this venture difficult so I am looking for any information or advice that people can give me. Anything would be helpful. It would be good if I could get contact details for builders merchants in or around the Surin / Buriram area where we can buy the materials we will need for the house. Maybe you know a potential builder who we could get in contact with, or maybe you have done the same thing yourself in this area and can give me some good advice. It would be very much appreciated.

nice video mario but lets see some more of that lovely creature,is it pepper?

Yes, he's a pretty boy alright, but not much help to the OP.

Glad you like Pepper, though

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

the wife had better watch out if he is anything like ours mrs meat's legs are black and blue,he needs a good gal,and being a big boy its getting hard[exscuse the pun] to find one.anyone with a malamute bitch?

Ours was done a couple tears ago, but you might enjoy the YouTubes I made. We are near Prasat. Send me a PM for specifics if you like.

:rolleyes:mario299

Enjoy!!

Nice Mario! :thumbsup:

3 of the things I wish I had been told.

1. Be on site at all times. If not, don't expect anything to be done the way you want. That applies to most any building site in the world I suppose but more so here I've found. (for example, suddenly deciding to put a random sink in what was supposed to be the living room and putting one outlet in a room that I requested 6)

2. Lower your western expectations of quality. I was pleased with the final product but there isn't a straight line in this entire house and that would really bother some. I think it just adds character...

3. Materials were almost always cheaper in bigger cities.

I built a house about 2 years ago. Got a fixed price with agreed completion and penalty clause.

Rice planting, harvesting, rain and hangovers were my biggest challenge. People simply don't turn up. Luckily this wasn't my problem. I had a great guy who was lead contractor and his wife ruled with an iron glove.

We had two older craftsman who were brilliant, the rest simply followed. House is 2 story semi Thai western 100% wood. Used old teak.

I increased the specs on footings (hate creaky floors) and was very careful about plumbing and electrics.

Build quality was excellent. My only over-site was roof insulation.

I'd happily do it again. Just make sure you get a good lead contractor.

Rather than design your own house, it might be a good idea to get the standard designs that are available in magazine style. A builder should have these, and know the price within 10,000 baht. Some of these designs allow for later add-ons.

And good luck --- rather you than me.

OP, just a word of caution here. Don't know how much you intend to spend, but if real money get the land title checked. People think it's a free for all here, build and do as you want It's not the case, the same building [zoning ] apply just as in the west.They are just not enforced in rural Issan. That's not to say that next week they don't start and many homes are build on farm land and can be bulldozed down . Jim

OP, just a word of caution here. Don't know how much you intend to spend, but if real money get the land title checked. People think it's a free for all here, build and do as you want It's not the case, the same building [zoning ] apply just as in the west.They are just not enforced in rural Issan. That's not to say that next week they don't start and many homes are build on farm land and can be bulldozed down . Jim

That's a very good point and one I am currently trying to get my head around. I am planning to build a small house next year on land apparently 'owned' by my GF in her village. I've begun reading about the various levels of title (Chanote, Nor Sor Saam Kor, Nor Sor Saam Gor etc..) and it's pretty confusing - a potential minefield. It seems that although westerners cannot own land directly, they can hold certain rights: lease, usufruct, habitation, superficies or mortgage. Is this correct? Is it still possible to set-up a company (max. 39% western shareholding) or has anything changed? I heard that the authorites were planning to crack-down on this aspect but not sure if that ever happened.

Another matter it seems is to clarify whether the land is mortgaged or is being used as collateral or if anyone has squatters rights (the 10 year rule) to all or part of the land. Would the land need to be unmortgaged before it could be built on?

Then there is the question of whether the land is dedicated as 'arable' and restricted for building purposes. Which bare minimum level of title and/or usage would be suitable to build a house on without fear of it being contested at a later stage? I have yet to establish with my GF what title she holds to the land which was given to her some years ago by her father. I think it may be the father who holds the title and has maybe 'gifted' her the right to use it as there is house on it already. There certainly is a great deal to think about.

I don't want to 'own' the land in any way, shape or form, just have the peace of mind knowing she or her father has full title and rights. I wouldn't want to wake up one morning to the sound of a bulldozer! Can anyone recommend some reliable websites that answer these questions, or provide a pointer?

Thanks,

Simon

That's a very good point and one I am currently trying to get my head around. I am planning to build a small house next year on land apparently 'owned' by my GF in her village. I've begun reading about the various levels of title (Chanote, Nor Sor Saam Kor, Nor Sor Saam Gor etc..) and it's pretty confusing - a potential minefield. It seems that although westerners cannot own land directly, they can hold certain rights: lease, usufruct, habitation, superficies or mortgage. Is this correct? Is it still possible to set-up a company (max. 39% western shareholding) or has anything changed? I heard that the authorites were planning to crack-down on this aspect but not sure if that ever happened.

Another matter it seems is to clarify whether the land is mortgaged or is being used as collateral or if anyone has squatters rights (the 10 year rule) to all or part of the land. Would the land need to be unmortgaged before it could be built on?

Then there is the question of whether the land is dedicated as 'arable' and restricted for building purposes. Which bare minimum level of title and/or usage would be suitable to build a house on without fear of it being contested at a later stage? I have yet to establish with my GF what title she holds to the land which was given to her some years ago by her father. I think it may be the father who holds the title and has maybe 'gifted' her the right to use it as there is house on it already. There certainly is a great deal to think about.

I don't want to 'own' the land in any way, shape or form, just have the peace of mind knowing she or her father has full title and rights. I wouldn't want to wake up one morning to the sound of a bulldozer! Can anyone recommend some reliable websites that answer these questions, or provide a pointer?

Thanks,

Simon

That's a $64 dollar question. First on the matter of trying to have control over the land, all the schemes etc seem to fall apart when they end up in court. They seem good on paper , but I haven't read of any farangs wining a court case over disputed ownership. Just like in the west if you are buying a house or biulding one, you would hire a real estate lawyer to do the paper work, check the titles and get planing permission

Don't listen to the in laws, as soon as someone says no problem, you have a problem. Go slowly and be sure of what's happening before you spend any money.

Had a German guy not far from here start to build a retirement house, about 3 years ago. After sending money every few months for the work, he turned up to see 6 concrete poles and nothing else. Be careful. Jim

That's a $64 dollar question. First on the matter of trying to have control over the land, all the schemes etc seem to fall apart when they end up in court. They seem good on paper , but I haven't read of any farangs wining a court case over disputed ownership. Just like in the west if you are buying a house or biulding one, you would hire a real estate lawyer to do the paper work, check the titles and get planing permission

Don't listen to the in laws, as soon as someone says no problem, you have a problem. Go slowly and be sure of what's happening before you spend any money.

Had a German guy not far from here start to build a retirement house, about 3 years ago. After sending money every few months for the work, he turned up to see 6 concrete poles and nothing else. Be careful. Jim

Yes, I've heard similar stories on that point. One was a fella who gave his wife/GF a substantial amount to build their 'dream house' and didn't check up on progress for nearly a year, until forced to do so by a worried friend who drove him up there.

Sure enough, the 'house' had barely been started but the in-laws had moved from their shack and were now living in a large modern house and running a haulage company!

Thanks Jim. :thumbsup:

This subject, and your circumstances, are too complicated to be dealt with on an internet forum.

That said, you can find all the information you need on Thai Visa in the house building section.

BUT - you need to be here and you need to have enough knowledge and experience to understand the competence (or otherwise) of the builder, where to buy, what to buy, when to buy etc, etc.

I was going to 'manage' my house build next year. I quickly determined that I have neither the time nor skill to do so.

I decided that for circa 300,000 Baht more, I would engage Alan the Builder because not only would I risk that 300k - it could cost a lot more rectifying work that has been done incorrectly - if indeed I was capable of spotting the mistakes !

My missus quickly realised that it is far easier for me to communicate Farang to Farang rather than me try and communicate through her with a Thai builder.

As a consequence of my decision I do have a very thick book which is a product library for all Thai materials - yours for a nominal sum.

Oh, have you considered usufruct or lease on the land. Isaan Lawyers can help there.

^^^^^,

we have a winner, give the man a cigar.

Cardholder, your sanity is worth a lot more than 300k.

Have seen too many farang try to do things on the cheap, because someone in the village can do it.

What they fail to mention is he was driving a tuk tuk in Bkk last week, and what he knows about house building can be written on the back of a fag packet.

People who cant even read simple plans, decide to put things where it suits them, bathroom floors angled the wrong way so the water flows in instead of out, doors opening outwards instead of inwards.

Electrical sockets on the wall at a height of 60 cm where a counter top at a height of 90 cm will be placed. Why bother going on, we all know and have seen the horror stories.

A wise choice there CH.

^^^^^,

we have a winner, give the man a cigar.

Cardholder, your sanity is worth a lot more than 300k.

Have seen too many farang try to do things on the cheap, because someone in the village can do it.

What they fail to mention is he was driving a tuk tuk in Bkk last week, and what he knows about house building can be written on the back of a fag packet.

People who cant even read simple plans, decide to put things where it suits them, bathroom floors angled the wrong way so the water flows in instead of out, doors opening outwards instead of inwards.

Electrical sockets on the wall at a height of 60 cm where a counter top at a height of 90 cm will be placed. Why bother going on, we all know and have seen the horror stories.

A wise choice there CH.

All of the above posts are correct, and the cigar should go to Cardholder without doubt!

I was fortunate to have had the time and the building experience to make sure mine was done how we wanted it..BUT,,,communication through the wife to our builder was very difficult because she spoke Thai and English, but not Thai and House Building, while I spoke English and House Building, but not Thai.

We found a plan in a book that we liked after a lot of searching, then made some adjustments to make it how we wanted. Our Contractor was very experienced, as was his crew. Yes, there were some problems, but I was there to oversee and that is a MUST. We hired the contractor for a fixed amount of labor, then we purchased the materials we wanted. If you can do this, it can work, as we are very pleased with our results.

HOWEVER....if you cannot do this because you either don't have the time or the experience (or both) I would definitely, REPEAT DEFINITELY, contact someone as good and experienced as Alan the Builder for his advice. The ability to communicate is the most important thing about a project like this.

There is a lot of very good information in the different sub-forums on this site, take a good look around, take your time, and go slow. Regarding the land title question, I told my wife we wouldn't put a nickel into anything until she had Chanote in her name. Long, difficult process, but the ONLY way to go. All things can be done, go slow....

Good luck!

Mario, I am envious of you being able to supervise your own build. I have also seen the excellent outcome - a house to be proud of.

I really wanted to have a go myself but, after wise words from a number of friends (who probably recognised my limitations before I did!), I decided that in order to protect my blood pressure I would leave it to the professionals :rolleyes:

The wife and I designed our house.

We bought 2 steel press to make interlocking blocks together with a vcd on how to do. Hired a father and son to make the blocks. When they were trained they made about 300 a day.

Hired one village guy to do all the concrete work and another to do the wood work - both "skilled".

One guy with "papers" (and recommendations) was hired to do the electric and together we plan the "what & where".

Was on site every day to monitor and correct all the wrong turns.

We started the build in October 2004 and moved in May 2005.

At lot of extras have been done after, and I guess the house will never be "finished" :rolleyes:

The workers and management considered - I'm satisfied with the "end" result. :D

post-24958-0-30752900-1323388175_thumb.j post-24958-0-32352200-1323388195_thumb.j

post-24958-0-96786400-1323388213_thumb.j post-24958-0-78186400-1323388392_thumb.j

post-24958-0-85311500-1323388435_thumb.j post-24958-0-55628000-1323388459_thumb.j

post-24958-0-42759100-1323388573_thumb.j

post-24958-0-30244200-1323388633_thumb.j

• Like 1

We bought 2 steel press to make interlocking blocks together with a vcd on how to do. Hired a father and son to make the blocks. When they were trained they made about 300 a day.

Hired one village guy to do all the concrete work and another to do the wood work - both "skilled".

One guy with "papers" (and recommendations) was hired to do the electric and together we plan the "what & where".

At lot of extras have been done after, and I guess the house will never be "finished" :rolleyes:

post-24958-0-30752900-1323388175_thumb.j post-24958-0-32352200-1323388195_thumb.j

post-24958-0-96786400-1323388213_thumb.j post-24958-0-78186400-1323388392_thumb.j

post-24958-0-85311500-1323388435_thumb.j post-24958-0-55628000-1323388459_thumb.j

thanks Bergen , nice house well done ... the press? you mean to make the cement blocks ? did that save you much in the scheme of things ? and i know you built in 2005 but what sort of sq/m rate did u end up with ? or perhaps you have not done the calc ..cheers

Bergen

Very nice, and as you should be, you seem quite happy. I have found ours will never really be "finished", but that's really very okay with me, too.

Enjoy!

:D

OP I'll just throw this in, some members here have beautiful homes and have taken great pride in getting things done right. Now there are people like me who see a house as nothing but a place to sleep and I used the locals. They know how to put in the concrete posts put some concrete bricks in between and stick on a roof. A bit of paint and bobs your uncle, you have a house Cheap and functional maybe you will never be the envy of your neighbors., but it's a place to live and we live outside under a roofed area, only go in to sleep. Jim

Bergen ,

That's a fab house , Norwegian wood ?

OP I'll just throw this in, some members here have beautiful homes and have taken great pride in getting things done right. Now there are people like me who see a house as nothing but a place to sleep and I used the locals. They know how to put in the concrete posts put some concrete bricks in between and stick on a roof. A bit of paint and bobs your uncle, you have a house Cheap and functional maybe you will never be the envy of your neighbors., but it's a place to live and we live outside under a roofed area, only go in to sleep. Jim

.. and absolutely nothing wrong in that approach.

I know several people who have built for less than 800k and have houses that suit their lifestyles.

I have also seen 5m spent on house that look awful and look out of place in Thailand.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice and PM's I have recieved. Please, please keep posting replies even if you think your advice or information will not be of any use because so far most that has been posted is of some use. :)

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice and PM's I have recieved. Please, please keep posting replies even if you think your advice or information will not be of any use because so far most that has been posted is of some use. :)

I too am about to start the process of buiding a house in Isaan - Maha Sarakham province. Been quoted 2 million for approx 172 square meters. I have visited a house they are just completing in Korat and was pretty impressed with wokmanship etc. Obviously there will be a few plus plusses along the way but we intend to be there during the whole build so hope to keep some control.

As a matter of interest has anyone else come across the FACT that after Songkraan it will be very bad luck to buid a house for the next 4 years. Get your building going now!!!!

I too am about to start the process of buiding a house in Isaan - Maha Sarakham province. Been quoted 2 million for approx 172 square meters. I have visited a house they are just completing in Korat and was pretty impressed with wokmanship etc. Obviously there will be a few plus plusses along the way but we intend to be there during the whole build so hope to keep some control.

As a matter of interest has anyone else come across the FACT that after Songkraan it will be very bad luck to buid a house for the next 4 years. Get your building going now!!!!

Can you ask that person for a lucky lottery number for me, then?

Just kidding, but something you will come across a lot...

B)