Installing A Heater In A Car

laosuwan

I am moving from the South to Chiang Rai in January and my car, made in Thailand, has no heater - only aircon. Is it possible to get a heater installed in a car here in Thailand? You will laugh but when I asked the dealer they said they did not know what is a heater.

Edited by laosuwan

Without going into detail, installing a heater in a car without, requires more then just a heater core, ducting and plumbing. Think of the controls for temp and vents you have back in the world? Install under dash which requires all the molding and hangers for all this? There are universal car seat heaters available, electric, that might help if you need heat for sitting comfort.

I'm still trying to figure out how front window defrost works in my toyota vios? That might be nice to know?

Good Luck :jap:

A few possabilities come to mind.

1. Order and have shipped in a small 12 V plug in (to the lighter or Aux socket) heater unit. Will at least help defrot front windows without turning on the A/C, and help warm the interior due to only temperat cool/cold here in Chiang Rai.

2. Find a heater unit from a junk yard dismantler for a similar make vehicle.

3. Order from a dealer or on line from outside thailand.

Eithr way, will need a Heater Core Unit, in or under dash duct work, and the plumbing to attach to the radiator.

Good luck, would like to know the results of your search.

I think Honda Civic or Accord and Toyota Camry have heaters in top models.

Most other Asian vehicles also have heaters in the vehicles for exprt to cold climates like japan, Korea, China, Auz, US, UK etc

Vios don't have heat defrosters here in Thailand, only outisde air or A/C....

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

And of course the reason for a heater is to be able to "defrost/defog" the windsheild which when cold on the outside gets all fogged up by warm people on the inside...so to clear it you end up having to run the a/c which can get pretty darn cold, or i guess you can roll down the windows to equalize outside and inside temp ...not sure how thai people deal with it as i don't think hardly any of them have a heater or a defroster......in a 'normal" car you just turn on the defroster but my toyota doesn't have one of those...but strangely it does have the wires to defrost/defog the back window...maybe the answer is to just drive in reverse...

Without going into detail, installing a heater in a car without, requires more then just a heater core, ducting and plumbing. Think of the controls for temp and vents you have back in the world? Install under dash which requires all the molding and hangers for all this? There are universal car seat heaters available, electric, that might help if you need heat for sitting comfort.

I'm still trying to figure out how front window defrost works in my toyota vios? That might be nice to know?

Good Luck :jap:

Front window defrost! You obviously don't own a Nissan NV then. In cold wet weather I have to have the windows half open or the A/C on to just see out the windscreen.

In all seriousness you might get a chill in the early morning on a motorcycle but in a car I can’t imagine any earthly reason for a heater.

Someone reported on here a week or 2 ago is was 1 degree in Chiang Rai. Some of us cannot stand the cold

I have climate control in my Audi, yes the heater works in the winter when it is cold and I live only 50km north/west of BKK.

Keep saying must buy some gas portable heaters for the house, even more so now as my thermal underwear is old and past it, did find a nice thick wool jumper last month here

I have been looking for a scapper with brush for removing the ice and snow off the windows in the morning here in CR, anyone know where to buy??:lol:

I am looking for a shovel also,

snowed-in-car.jpg

Don't ya just hate those morning when you wake up and................................

Cheap plug in (cigar lighter socket) ceramic heater may be an answer? Sold in US and UK. As mentioned above, adding the standard hot water heater system will be complicated. I once added a/c to a car that did not have it as standard equipment, virtually had to dismantle the entire car and rebuild it around the evaporator.