Eight Killed, 49 Injured As Chiang Mai-Bangkok Bus Crashes

webfact

How many of these kinds of accidents do we have to endure...and there have been MANY.... before Thai people DEMAND better of their government and authorities and transport providers....???

They don't"demand" Thats the problem in Thailand ,No laws or enforcement of laws which protect the public and when disasters happen there's no outcry, no pressure put on politicains/law makers. because they think or should say know they are corrupt, It's just a shrug of the shoulders until the next tragedy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather sad that some ferangs have to mention Hi So,when a word of sympathy is all that's needed.

rather sad when some obviously non-farang has to make comment- unrelated to the news!

RIP the dead peolle and strength to those who are still alive!

Rather sad that some ferangs have to mention Hi So,when a word of sympathy is all that's needed.

No one is wishing any social group to be affected, but I think many of us are wondering how many deaths it takes before the government regulates the safety of these buses for ALL.

So sad, and probably totally unnecessary. Condolences to the families of the victims, and hopes for a speedy recovery to the others. Unfortunately, this is an all too familiar occurrence here in LOS.

Back when I had to do 3 border runs before getting my Non-O, I had to do the bus trips to Lao. My wife insisted on the VIP buses. Ok, fine. First two trips were fine. Good drivers, no problems. 3rd trip going over was a nightmare. Told my wife if I ever have to make another border run for some reason, I'll rent a big bike and drive myself! Fortunately, now I don't have to. Last year her company (Siam Life Ins) wanted to send her and 9 others to BKK and then to Rayong. They were going to rent a silver minivan tour bus. I told her No F*****G way! Her and 4 of her friends took our car, but only after I also made the stipulation that they take turns driving, and no one drives for more than 3 hours at a time. As for me, if I had to go somewhere, well, that's what my CBR is for.

How does it feel to be your wife's second-father?

I travel often on a bus. I make it a point to avoid sitting in the first two rows of seats, especially behind the bus driver. Slamming into the seats in front of me seems a lot less dangerous than crashing through the windshield. I also avoid two rows directly behind the rear stairs.

I also endorse the comment made about Nakhon Chai air. My only problem with that organization is its limited service area.

No one is wishing any social group to be affected, but I think many of us are wondering how many deaths it takes before the government regulates the safety of these buses for ALL.

That is entirely in the hands of Drivers Mindset, dont you think. Can regulations stop people believing a Lucky Icon realy helps. I refuse to use the Patts Express way at holiday times... All vehicles are full of Family / Children but still they drive nose to tail at 120 , rich, poor , and government ministers. I don't se any hope with the prevailing mindset.

RIP the poor souls that were the victims of yet another bus 'accident' that should never have happened. Best wishes to those who survived and hopes for a speedy recovery.

Thank the Lord for Nakhon Chai Air and their higher standards.

When I told Thai wifey about this she just shrugged and said 'I told you before you have to look after yourself in Thailand because nobody care you' . Sums up the way the ordinary folk see life here because they know nobody gives a shit about them.

this is so tragic to us expats but an every day occurrance for thai people,me&mrs meat almost joined the list of fatalities back in the late eighties when we were on our way to the airport when the driver of a limosine fell asleep luckily i was watching him and braced ourselves for the impact,nothing has changed never what co u use there will always be those drivers who dont care a sh-t.i dont like traveling at all in los.to those who lost their lives[r.i.p] and a speedy recovery to the injured.

i never do long journeys at night, either bus or my own car, its just too risky

Words of wisdom. The last EVER night bus trip I will take was taken about 3 months ago---Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen with Esan Tour Company. I was the only one awake on the bus. Because I was sitting near the front, I observed that not even the driver was awake. He slammed his forehead against the steering wheel twice when nearly passing out from exhaustion. The rest of the time, he was weaving all over the road as he slapped himself continually. The scariest bus trip to date. blink.gif

Yes, as many of the posters on this column have stated, nothing will change unless people are held accountable. The owner of the bus company should be made to pay a minimum of 1,000,000 baht per individual who was killed, and 500,000 baht per injury. In addition, a 10 year jail sentence could be imposed on the owner for criminal negligence. I know I am dreaming, but something has to change, at some point, right? And if a politician lobbies for the bus operator, he should be fined, tried on corruption charged, and jailed. At some point, will a Anna Hazare come forth? Is something like that possible in Thailand? Do the masses care enough? That would frighten the hell out of the politicians. Imagine. Malaysia is fighting corruption, and high ranking officials are being jailed on a weekly basis. Same in Indonesia. India is beginning the fight. China has been fighting it for years, with one of the most heinous governments on the planet. They execute people for corruption. Vietnam is making some effort. Even Cambodia has an anti corruption commission, though it is surely not effective. Thailand has to start somewhere. There is little acknowledgment on the official level, that the problem even exists.

How far is it to Lampang from Chiang Mai? And the driver nodded off already? Surely less than an hour into the journey. Can we assume that there is no supervision of drivers? This calls for a class action suit.

Bus drivers here are often expected to do two return trips in quick succession with just two or three hours sleeping in the back of the bus in between and maybe another hour or two on turnaround. From what I've been told only Nakhon Chai insist their drivers get at least 8 hours rest between drives.

Yes, as many of the posters on this column have stated, nothing will change unless people are held accountable. The owner of the bus company should be made to pay a minimum of 1,000,000 baht per individual who was killed, and 500,000 baht per injury. In addition, a 10 year jail sentence could be imposed on the owner for criminal negligence. I know I am dreaming, but something has to change, at some point, right? And if a politician lobbies for the bus operator, he should be fined, tried on corruption charged, and jailed. At some point, will a Anna Hazare come forth? Is something like that possible in Thailand? Do the masses care enough? That would frighten the hell out of the politicians. Imagine. Malaysia is fighting corruption, and high ranking officials are being jailed on a weekly basis. Same in Indonesia. India is beginning the fight. China has been fighting it for years, with one of the most heinous governments on the planet. They execute people for corruption. Vietnam is making some effort. Even Cambodia has an anti corruption commission, though it is surely not effective. Thailand has to start somewhere. There is little acknowledgment on the official level, that the problem even exists.

Worthy sentiments and I agree with you. Probably the only action that will be taken, and it has likely already occured. is that someone will be dispatched immediately to tape a covering over the name of the bus line so as not to impact future bookings.

Edited by lannarebirth

How far is it to Lampang from Chiang Mai? And the driver nodded off already? Surely less than an hour into the journey.

Nicely spotted; I was waiting for someone to suss out one of the most very revealing aspect of the tragedy.

They were just starting out and he's asleep.

Bus crashes in Lampang; killing 8

Chiang Mai Mail online reporters

Police believe that the driver, killed in the accident, fell asleep at the wheel as the bus veered off the highway, overturning and then slammed into an LPG gas station.

8 people were killed and 50 injured. The police said it was fortunate the bus did not hit the tanks which could have exploded.

The blue and white New Viriya Tour bus veered off the highway around midnight on December 7, before sliding into the fence and then the LPG Gas Station at Ban Tha Pha in Lampang’s Tern District.

Rescue officials had to cut passengers out of the bus and survivors were transported to the hospital for treatment.

[chiangmaimail]2011-12-07[/chiangmaimail]

HOW MANY MORE TIMES we have to read News like this one? 10.000.000.- BAHT per VICTIM should solve the problem in the future,

to be paid by the COMPANY of the Busses, THEY are the ones pushing their drivers to the limit....drivers are stupid anyway, mostly

on Jaba or at least 20 bottles of M150 ...guess in this case the driver cant run away

may the VICTIMS of the buscompany rest in peace

we ALL should share this link and future links about tragedys like that in Thailand in FaceBook ....if the world is aware of whats happend here

and more tourists refuse to visit this SAVE country, may be they start changing something....I never give up hope :rolleyes: :jap:

They execute people for corruption.

In Thailand, your ability to be corrupt and get away with it puts you in line for endless future promotions. They admiringly, behind closed doors, call it "clever."

What's needed is a deep-core change in values. Until that happens, no amount of legislation or attempted enforcement will matter one whit. Unfortunately, their religious and cultural systems haven't seemed to provide the catalyst for that needed change. sad.gif

bus and van drivers are the worst and most disrespectful drivers in Thailand, only closely followed by 10-wheel lorry drivers and then women. even my own wife drives 120-130 while talking on the phone and putting on makeup. and she has to move to the left for vans and buses flying up and flashing from behind.

its a dangerous country. welcome to the 3rd world farangs. keep your eyes peeled 360.

condolences to the injured and dead. i wish them safe passage to the next life :)

If the headline "Chiang Mai-Bangkok" is correct this w......had only driven a 100 odd clicks before falling asleep.

He must have been on the p..s prior to leaving or had worked through with no rest break. Maybe had driven up from the 'Big Mango' and turned around and headed back.

I have some sympathy for those injured but the perps who are really responsible (the bus company) will walk.

Nothing will change as a result.

TIT

"before sliding into the fence and then the LPG Gas Station"

Into a LPG gas station, no more no less, what an awful bad luck,

Luck had nothing to do with it.

Sure it did. Fate might be the better word. When you think about the probability in that one minute of roadspeed covers a fair distance of actual road. Seconds of time all count, for all of us including that driver. What are the chances of the driver falling to sleep at the right moment so as to produce a horrific collision course with an LPG station? If the driver fell to sleep a minute earlier (or later) the circumstances of the accident would definitely be different. Probably a big soft rice paddy where the damages would be less. There sure isn't an LPG station anywhere close anymore!

Horrific though, and agree that the public transportation here is substandard. Maintenance can be poor, and drivers are ultimately on the lower paid professions, who end up working long hours. Condolences to all of those who lost family or friends, and those hurt and recovering now.

Very sad.

Let us not forget that these kind of accidents do happen in Europe, too.

That is right, but when you compare the death toll on the roads of Thailand of about 18.000 per annum, not counting those, who die in a hospital after they have been taken there (estimated at 2000 persons per annum), with i.e Germany less than 4.000 deaths per annum, there should be more law enforcement. It is not enough to control motorcycle riders and fine them 200 THB, if they do not wear a helmet!

BTW, the police of Thailand does not supply the public with concrete figures since 2005. It may have to do with the rise of the traffic density....

Edited by fxe1200

It's been decades since I've ridden a bus, but isn't it a feature of Thai busses that there are other employees onboard other than the driver? Isn't it their primary function to chat up the driver to keep him awake?

In my earlier harrowing experience posted above, the "chatter" did his job for the first half hour then retired to the back of the bus for his all-night nap. sad.gif

Until the Thai mindset changes these accidents will remain an inevitable fact of life. Drivers are licensed with the minimum training (if any). Road rules are rarely if ever enforced. Buses tailgaiting at ridiculous speeds and undertaking on the left side are all too common

And greedy unscrupulous owners push underpaid drivers beyond their physical limits.

But hey - mai pen rai -- isnt it always

Re tailgating: I was in a minor shunt on the Pattaya-Bangkok bus one day. So slight that I did not feel it, but I saw the bus front was hanging off as we were changing buses. And that was only 20 mins into the journey.

It reminded me of the first guidance I had on driving in Thailand. "If a bus comes up behind you, get out the way or he will go through you."

RIP - Sadly a happy weekend marred by this tragedy.

Very sorry to hear about this. Like many here, I hate traveling via bus, and mini-van is even worse, IMO.

The saddest thing of all is that Thailand's democracy/culture is not yet at a point where people feel empowered/compelled to demand positive action/change. Individual citizens feel they have no power, and thus they have none. They view their lives as cheap and expendable. Mob mentality works, but only when enough are directly impacted terribly enough and for long enough.

very sad -RIP and hopefully full recovery for the wounded.

I travel a lot with the bus. BKK to UBON and also UBON to PATTAYA bur always with NAKHONCHAI AIR - VIP bus

very good service and very good price. They are driving with 2 drivers and switching along the way.

Also always a bus responsable (hostess) that keeps the drivers company.

I stick with this bus company

Until the Thai mindset changes these accidents will remain an inevitable fact of life. Drivers are licensed with the minimum training (if any). Road rules are rarely if ever enforced. Buses tailgaiting at ridiculous speeds and undertaking on the left side are all too common

And greedy unscrupulous owners push underpaid drivers beyond their physical limits.

But hey - mai pen rai -- isnt it always

... but more importantly, how long are these drivers allowed to drive without a break. They need 2 drivers on the bus.