Austrian Tourist Stabbed, Robbed By Phuket Youth Gang

Lite Beer

As always, the wise a$ postings about "it is the tourist fault" tuk tuk drivers, jet ski operators...etc. Am I missing the part where the perpetrators of this crime have (a) not been arrested (B) found but not in trouble? It seems like a pretty vicious crime was committed, the kids are being rounded up and pressed for more information...and only the stabber remains to be arrested.

Is there more to be done hours after a crime? Lets see... crime, arrests further investigations...and one arrest pending. How exactly is this a screw up by the police? They caught these kids, got confessions of similar crimes, and certainly have leverage to get the name of the guy who stabbed this guy. Here is an excerpt from the article with key words some seem to ignore underlined.

I am not trying to be funny. TV is infamous for these comments..so educate us...where in this story is the police not doing their job?.

It's whether there will be justice , this is the very early stage of matters.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found some nice statistics..

Metropolitan Police Service all of London.

Robberies ( against a person )

No. of robberies previous 12 month leading up to October 2011 : 35.923

No. of robberies previous 12 month leading up to October 2010 : 31.301

That's by the way a 14.8% increase from 2010 to 2011.

Source : http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/

So because someone gets robbed in Phuket ever so often - its now the worst place you could imagine ?

I just don't buy into that.

The number above equals 1 robbery every 15 minutes in London.

And that is only counting robberies against another person.

You cannot compare crime statistics in the way you have done with 2 places which have such a population differential. It's like comparing mouse poop to cow manure, which has more flies?

Its still a 14.8% increase in London from 2010 to 2011.

And it happens every 15 minutes.

In Phuket, maybe once every 15 days if that.

So what this is really about, is where do you feel safer.

Doesn't matter if you're standing in mouse poop or cow manure does it now ( counting flies ) ?

At least in Phuket, you could safely be standing in either for 14 days ( without being mugged B) )

In London, you could only be safe, standing in either for 14 minutes....

We wish we had that sweet life in the USA...here is the kind of headlines we live with every day...At least the UK tries to keep it hand to hand, we just shoot people....

"7 shot after funeral for man stabbed to death on the Strip"

...I suppose these crimes will come to an end when embassies start issuing travel warnings for Phuket, and tourism comes to a standstill. THEN you will see some real crackdowns by the police.

This is a theory, I take it. I highly doubt any 'real crackdown' by police in Thailand has ever happened in the past. Certainly never a crackdown that would be considered helpful to tourist.

As always, the wise a$ postings about "it is the tourist fault" tuk tuk drivers, jet ski operators...etc. Am I missing the part where the perpetrators of this crime have (a) not been arrested (B) found but not in trouble? It seems like a pretty vicious crime was committed, the kids are being rounded up and pressed for more information...and only the stabber remains to be arrested.

Is there more to be done hours after a crime? Lets see... crime, arrests further investigations...and one arrest pending. How exactly is this a screw up by the police? They caught these kids, got confessions of similar crimes, and certainly have leverage to get the name of the guy who stabbed this guy. Here is an excerpt from the article with key words some seem to ignore underlined.

I am not trying to be funny. TV is infamous for these comments..so educate us...where in this story is the police not doing their job?.

It's whether there will be justice , this is the very early stage of matters.

Yes, exactly...once again...looking at the comments...it seems that the agreement here is that they all got milk and cookies and were sent home.

Could it be that they are actually in trouble and will be punished?

Honestly, if I possessed the psychic powers of the average TV member, I would be a millionaire many times over.

This was attempted murder. In any "normal " country 15-20 years inside, but.... cough,,, this is Thailand.

And the alleged criminals are minors... lest we forget the details.

I think kids wouldn't easily sit for 15-20 years for this crime, except in places like Zimbabwe or Iran!

Thailand is - on the whole - pretty safe.

I cannot answer for Phuket as I have never gone there (nor do I have wish to either) but I have travelled extensively throughout the country and been treated with courtesy and great kindness wherever I have been. Even here in Bangkok (and I do not live in one of the typical farang ghettos) I feel very safe.

I was back in the UK for 6 months over the summer when we had the riots. I was staying in Cambridge which is supposed to be safe but even there we had young men running around threatening people. In fact, the whole social scene in the UK is pretty hairy and I note that some Police leaders are warning of years of social upheaval based on an unemployment rate of 25% among 18 to 25 year old males. During the riots you just felt so unsafe and very unprotected.

For those in Thailand who chip at the way that the scene is here then I suggest that you have not been back to Europe or the US for a while. These are not great places to be right now and I much prefer to be here.

I feel very sorry for this Austrian guy and I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery very soon.

Thailand is - on the whole - pretty safe.

I cannot answer for Phuket as I have never gone there (nor do I have wish to either) but I have travelled extensively throughout the country and been treated with courtesy and great kindness wherever I have been. Even here in Bangkok (and I do not live in one of the typical farang ghettos) I feel very safe.

I was back in the UK for 6 months over the summer when we had the riots. I was staying in Cambridge which is supposed to be safe but even there we had young men running around threatening people. In fact, the whole social scene in the UK is pretty hairy and I note that some Police leaders are warning of years of social upheaval based on an unemployment rate of 25% among 18 to 25 year old males. During the riots you just felt so unsafe and very unprotected.

For those in Thailand who chip at the way that the scene is here then I suggest that you have not been back to Europe or the US for a while. These are not great places to be right now and I much prefer to be here.

I feel very sorry for this Austrian guy and I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery very soon.

You lost me at : I do not live in one of the typical farang ghettos.

Which ghettos are those, I haven't seen them yet?

Or, is this your way of saying that you are holier than the other typical farang??annoyed.gif

This was attempted murder. In any "normal " country 15-20 years inside, but.... cough,,, this is Thailand.

I think kids wouldn't easily sit for 15-20 years for this crime, except in places like Zimbabwe or Iran!

Ahh now we see it, The liberal "slap on the wrists ,"it's not their fault but bad parental control" a couple of years young offenders Institution (if they exist in Thailand) brigade.

Ahh now we see it, The liberal "slap on the wrists ,"it's not their fault but bad parental control" a couple of years young offenders Institution (if they exist in Thailand) brigade.

Nope, just wondering which 'normal' countries you were referring to... Zim.....??

Nope, just wondering which 'normal' countries you were referring to... Zim.....??

No . In most states in the USA they could be charged as adults for this crime. more "liberal leaning" countries in Europe they would still get more than 10 years and up to 20 years incarceration

Its still a 14.8% increase in London from 2010 to 2011.

And it happens every 15 minutes.

In Phuket, maybe once every 15 days if that.

So what this is really about, is where do you feel safer.

Doesn't matter if you're standing in mouse poop or cow manure does it now ( counting flies ) ?

At least in Phuket, you could safely be standing in either for 14 days ( without being mugged B) )

In London, you could only be safe, standing in either for 14 minutes....

You can't make a proper comparison, because any stats the Thais have will not have been compiled properly thus render them nonsense.

There's a whole lot of crime going on in Thailand that is never reported on, acknowledged or detailed. I suggest you read the Thai local papers, there's a lot more crime on Phuket than one robbery every 2 weeks! I would suggest a similar area in the UK to be a lot safer!

Personally, I don't believe any of this. Thailand is, after all, a peaceful, Buddhist loving country that has complete respect for all living things, and would never commit violence upon another for such a thing as robbery.

And there really is a Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and the moon is made of green cheese.

:whistling:

I hope the police send the bill for this mans hospital treatment and his damaged motorbike to these kids parents (as opposed to the victim or his insurance company). I'm sure that the parents when faced with a bill for a foreigner in ICU at Bangkok hospital and a foreigner motorbike rental repair bill. (even split four ways) will be more than a little annoyed and teach the kids the error of their ways.

if he gets out of the hospital alive, but there is no way the Thai's will pay anything toward this unfortunate victim bills, sounds like Phuket is really a horrible place...

Now if the bill was sent to the minister for tourism (if there is such an office ) .. it may make a difference.

However, The police did their bit by apprehending the kids, but if there is no effective follow up, you end up with the Norwegian Revolving Door Syndrome - - repeat offenders scenario.

Edited by TechnikaIII

Was at a bar just 2 years back down at Karon and wandered down the 'tunnel' bar area in town..Ended up stopping at the bar right at the end there and having a beer..only because the bar was playing ACDC...Got talking to the pommie owner with his Liverpool shirt on and he told me that he had been held up at 4 a.m in the morning over the tops there on his bike by two thais' on a bike..he refused to stop so they shot him in the leg!...He told me he thought he was 'brown bread'there and then and fell down the slope there playing dead!Some guys found him when it got light..He showed me his thigh..a small entry on one side and a f...ing mess on the other side where the bullet just disintegrated all his bone and muscle..Saddest part was he told me one leg was now shorter than the other and he had a permanent limp...

You just wonder if you are just lucky sometimes not to be the next statistic...bloody still scares me that everytime I hear stories like this!

"No . In most states in the USA they could be charged as adults for this crime. more "liberal leaning" countries in Europe they would still get more than 10 years and up to 20 years incarceration"

There are only 6 countries known to have executed juvenile offenders in the 1990s. Those countries are: the United States, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Nigeria.

I know we aren't talking death penalty here... but the US sure keeps some fine company when it comes to dealing with juveniles.

Are you really sure that 'normal' countries would throw these kids in jail for that long?

I just doubt it, especially if it is a first offence.

Most 'normal' people don't want to see kids thrown in jail with adults.

"No . In most states in the USA they could be charged as adults for this crime. more "liberal leaning" countries in Europe they would still get more than 10 years and up to 20 years incarceration"

There are only 6 countries known to have executed juvenile offenders in the 1990s. Those countries are: the United States, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Nigeria.

I know we aren't talking death penalty here... but the US sure keeps some fine company when it comes to dealing with juveniles.

Are you really sure that 'normal' countries would throw these kids in jail for that long?

I just doubt it, especially if it is a first offence.

Most 'normal' people don't want to see kids thrown in jail with adults.

Tried as Adults. Which means any potential "child" criminal knows they cant get away with a crime of this nature because of their age.

With regard to the death penalty you raised that.

Beginning to think someone is annoyed if some young thug or thugs who stuck a knife in a stranger shouldn't have a tough custodial sentence even if it is a first offence(your guess) . Who's "normal" now?

To all the bashers of the police and Thais in general.

It took the police approx 3 hours 45 minutes to make the first arrest.

That is exactly what I was thinking. this stuff has always happened in Thailand from time to time and it is still a lot safer here than back home. It is a sad story, but how many countries these days are crime free? :unsure:

I hope the police send the bill for this mans hospital treatment and his damaged motorbike to these kids parents (as opposed to the victim or his insurance company). I'm sure that the parents when faced with a bill for a foreigner in ICU at Bangkok hospital and a foreigner motorbike rental repair bill. (even split four ways) will be more than a little annoyed and teach the kids the error of their ways.

Like that will happen! It is too logical.

I see they are looking for ARhesus neg blood. Admins, is this still the case?

I am AR-, but I couldn't up and rush to Phuket. I could get to a local hosp in Prawet now to give 2 pints, if they transfer it?

Any ideas? Is it still needed?

-mel.

To all the bashers of the police and Thais in general.

It took the police approx 3 hours 45 minutes to make the first arrest.

Ask yourselves, would this happen where you live ?

I am just imagining a boor bloke mugged and stabbed in London, New York, Paris, Rome, Berlin etc and NOT expecting an arrest within 3 hours 45 minutes.

Different social structure + the street level criminals here are about as bright as the general population at lower social levels... that is they commit crimes with as much thought as the folks you see riding motorcycles on the wrong side of the street with their lights off at night. The police, like in most places already 'know' (and sometimes employ) the usual suspects, usual street youth gangs here. So they just go to see who is 'missing' (hiding) from the group in question and they know that's who they should start looking for. A few questions here and there, they find kids with relevant street fight/assault type injuries and the truth comes out. Really easy (so my friends say) because of the high incidence of knife use, less so for gun use (in terms of less visible evidence on the part of the assailant).

:)

Edited by Heng

WOW, and they did all this for 200THB to buy snacks !, and also during the day, is anywhere safe in Thailand now !

Don't judge all of Thailand by what happens in Phuket...and to be fair, don't judge all of phuket from the actions of a few...although it does seem more and more that the thugs are multiplying and are in firm control of phuket and have no fear of the local govt or law. When the kids see the taxi mafia do as they dam_n well please with zero repercussions year after year, story after story it likely emboldens them to think why not?

Phuket is a beautiful island that has made just about every wrong decision possible over the past ten years or so.....of course the tourists right now still pour in there and they think it will always continue. But today with the internet stories like this fly around the world in minutes and are picked up by all sorts of travel sites that potential tourist may well visit...eventually it will take it's toll and the quality and quantitity of toursist will decline. Frankly i feel safer in Pattaya than in Phuket and for anyone who has ever lived in Pattaya you know that it isn't exactly the home of the upper crust.

Phuket is not a beautiful island. I've been there once, and once is more than enough. I was fooled by all the false propaganda that this place is paradise. In fact, all the beauty is off the island (Phi Phi islands, Phang Nga Bay). The island itself is no better then other, safer, more affordable tourist areas such as Hua Hin or Pattaya.

Not true jericaholic

If you go to phuket but only visit patong and surrounding then yes you will feel as you do. But if you travel outside past karon, kata and further up you will discover beautiful scenery, views, locations nature and beaches. very beautiful.

I lived in phuket for a year. Up and over on the far side and it was lovely. Only occassionally going in to patong for a crazy night out drinking and spectating at all of the nutters and men moonlighting as women (oh I mentioned nutters twice)

Even though Thailand actually does have a Juvenile Justice System, I don't see anything happening to these punk kids. In the U.S. - I can't speak on other countries - they would definitely find their butts in Juvenile Detention, most likely till they were 18. AND their parents could be sued for damages as well in civil court.

But, like I said, TIT, so I don't see anything happening.

Personally, I don't believe any of this. Thailand is, after all, a peaceful, Buddhist loving country that has complete respect for all living things, and would never commit violence upon another for such a thing as robbery.

And there really is a Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and the moon is made of green cheese.

:whistling:

I wonder how you say "Crusades' in Thai. Or "Holocaust", or if "Hiroshima" has a different pronunciation.

I really do not think you want to drink the swamp water you are currently standing in.

I just found some nice statistics..

Metropolitan Police Service all of London.

Robberies ( against a person )

No. of robberies previous 12 month leading up to October 2011 : 35.923

No. of robberies previous 12 month leading up to October 2010 : 31.301

That's by the way a 14.8% increase from 2010 to 2011.

Source : http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/

So because someone gets robbed in Phuket ever so often - its now the worst place you could imagine ?

I just don't buy into that.

The number above equals 1 robbery every 15 minutes in London.

And that is only counting robberies against another person.

If you can, please find and post the stats for Phuket or, perhaps, Bangkok and then break both sets of stats down by racial demographic. The fear is not that 'oh, gee, I might get mugged and stabbed in Phuket because it happened to some random person?'; the fear is that 'OK, could I be targeted for a crime because of the way I look?'.

Are these types of crimes against non-Thais the result of bad luck, or are these non-Thais being targeted for being foreign?

Imagine the out cry and response if these young thugs picked on the wrong one and they ended up in intensive care.

There have always been two standards for Thai and Ferang and some things will never change, and as long as pockets get lined they never will.

yes very true. lots of thai guys need a dam_n good lesson but you daren't because of this. got to keep a jai yen when really they need a good sevee slapping and lesson taught - in public too so as to show them lose their face to the world

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.