Where To Buy Reasonable Quality Mattress For Sensible Money?

walker600

Hey,

Does anyone out there know where it is possible to buy a reasonable mattress for a sensible price.

All the one's that I can find that don't cost the earth feel as though they have been chiselled out of concrete and I wan't something a bit softer.

The one in the house that I rent is made by a company called 'dunlopillo' and it's made from foam which makes it super comfy and I'm guessing will last quite a while as the springs won't give out and the edges collapse (this has happened on a number of occasions) as of yet I've not been able to find them anywhere but i'm sure there here...... I have no idea of cost tho.

The idea of spending 10-15k on a mattress isn't really an option either.

Any help greatly appreciated

If you travel south from Central Festival (towards Chalong), about 800 metres after leaving the Central junction, on the left there's a furniture store called 'Sentral'. They do quite an extensive range of mattresses, including Dunlopillo.

Agree with the Central shop, but most furniture shop will stock Dunlopillo. Such as Bird on ChoaFa East, Index on the bypass, and I noticed some sort of mattress sale in the basement car park of Big C on the bypass. A basic medium quality sprung mattress costs from 6,000 baht. Dunlopillo a bit more than that.

Ive got a dunlopiilo matress, i bought it at BIRD HOME Chaofa RD east on the way to Phuket town just after TESCO[small retairl park] opposite PTT GAS STATION..i bought it 3 years ago,been good,cant remember what it cost..:angry:

I bought a Dunlopilo about three years ago, 12 year guarantee for 7,000 Baht. Very comfortable and wouldn't hesitate in buying the same brand again.

But make clear that you are sleeping on the mattress and not a Thai. A friend of mine bought one of these, and after 4 years - that thing was completely flat - he was told the warranty is only good for Thai people, fat falangs are not covered. (His weight is about 75 kgs.) :angry:

Don't forget a Thais idea of a soft mattress is not the same as a farangs

Make sure you try it out in the shop and not listen to the sales staff

Home Pro Chalong have a good range in all prices

They had a good one on display for 23K reduced from 59K which we liked

and the sales staff talked us into buying another one for about the same price

We had to buy a 3k overlay to make it comfortable once we had it in the house

In the course of the years, I bought a lot of mattresses at a store called Penang. They have 2 branches: one at the bypass driving towards the turnoff to the left to Tesco Lotus, at the right hand side, and one driving southwards towards Supercheap at the left hand side. They also do home delivery.

In the course of the years, I bought a lot of mattresses at a store called Penang. They have 2 branches: one at the bypass driving towards the turnoff to the left to Tesco Lotus, at the right hand side, and one driving southwards towards Supercheap at the left hand side. They also do home delivery.

I think I understand you? I purchased here as well. Opposite side of the road from the big Tesco on the bypass road next to the Esso station.

I think I understand you? I purchased here as well. Opposite side of the road from the big Tesco on the bypass road next to the Esso station.

The furniture store next to Esso is called Jasmine last time I looked.

We spend about a third of our life sleeping. I would advise do not skimp on your mattress if you can afford not to. Your mattress has a major impact on the quality and quantity of your sleep and therefore how you function and feel every day. The power of a good night's sleep should never be underestimated. As we sleep, our body's serotonin levels are restored, our immune systems are rejuvenated and our memories are sharpened.

When looking at purchasing a new mattress, you're going to be looking for two important factors: comfort and support. Support is determined by the coil springs inside the mattress and should be conducive to proper spine alignment.

Look for the coil count: A standard twin-size mattress should have at least 300, a queen should have 375 and a king should have 450 coils.

Index Living Mall has their own mattress department, along with a medical professional who will help you determine exactly what you need.

Back home a reasonable mattress will go for about 30K BHT-50K BHT

For 6k better off saving for a couple more months and then getting yourself something decent.

Just get a coconut-husk- filled mat(tress) from Supercheap...I do believe mattresses/boxsprings and all the other bullcrap is not only a waste of money, but a nice environment for mold, mites and whatever else will inevitably colonize them. Like carpetting, they are just a bad choice for the tropics. I know I am in the minority on this, but you will find that if your get a Thai style mattress about half-an-inch thick and just put it on the floor it will give you the same back support you will get from the space-killing bed frame, box spring, mattress complex. To be honest I am surprised they haven't come out with a third layer by now, like they have done (unnecessarily) with disposable razors.

Apart from saving a lot of money, another benefit is that you can hang one of these Thai-style mattresses outside in the sun to air it out, beat it with a stick to get the dust out, and it will make thoroughly cleaning the bedroom a snap -- just take a mop to it. There won't be a huge bed hiding dustballs, cockroach carapaces and dessicated jingjok carcasses in the way.

Another point: if someone pees or pukes on it (let's face it, these are very real risks), they are much, much easier to replace.

I opted out of all this 'you must own a bed' b.s. about 15 years ago after suffering years of debilitating back pain.

The only argument I get from people about this is that a bed keeps your head off the floor, thus keeping dust our of your lungs,,,I don't buy it, unless you live on the ground floor in a dirty place.

Another thing I like about just sleeping on the floor is that after waking up in the morning you actually have to get up, as opposed to just rolling out of bed American style. (Is there any wonder why they have an obesity epidemic?)

It's a much better way to start the day, in my opinion.

Just get a coconut-husk- filled mat(tress) from Supercheap...I do believe mattresses/boxsprings and all the other bullcrap is not only a waste of money, but a nice environment for mold, mites and whatever else will inevitably colonize them. Like carpetting, they are just a bad choice for the tropics. I know I am in the minority on this, but you will find that if your get a Thai style mattress about half-an-inch thick and just put it on the floor it will give you the same back support you will get from the space-killing bed frame, box spring, mattress complex. To be honest I am surprised they haven't come out with a third layer by now, like they have done (unnecessarily) with disposable razors.

Apart from saving a lot of money, another benefit is that you can hang one of these Thai-style mattresses outside in the sun to air it out, beat it with a stick to get the dust out, and it will make thoroughly cleaning the bedroom a snap -- just take a mop to it. There won't be a huge bed hiding dustballs, cockroach carapaces and dessicated jingjok carcasses in the way.

Another point: if someone pees or pukes on it (let's face it, these are very real risks), they are much, much easier to replace.

I opted out of all this 'you must own a bed' b.s. about 15 years ago after suffering years of debilitating back pain.

The only argument I get from people about this is that a bed keeps your head off the floor, thus keeping dust our of your lungs,,,I don't buy it, unless you live on the ground floor in a dirty place.

Another thing I like about just sleeping on the floor is that after waking up in the morning you actually have to get up, as opposed to just rolling out of bed American style. (Is there any wonder why they have an obesity epidemic?)

You like this mattress because your back is fckud, even doctors recommend to sleep on the floor.

For the rest of us sleeping on wafer thin coconut bits just doesnt cut it :)

Edited by Hooters

people. This is how you become when you move to a poor country with no money yourself.. Making up stories to feel better about not being able to afford basic comfort and then trying to convince others(or yourself?)

If you gave those crappy half a inch mattress to anyone with any back problem, you would have them in the hospital within a week.

You realize that on those mattress you cant really move to your side? staying on your back without moving for 8hours cuts off blood circulation, its really bad.

Edited by thaiIand

people. This is how you become when you move to a poor country with no money yourself.. Making up stories to feel better about not being able to afford basic comfort and then trying to convince others(or yourself?)

You may have a point. :D

theres 3 recent thread in general that are the same except about bar girls.

or a more popular one, thaicruze about his chevy cruze(deep down he wanted a sonata or camry probably).

Annoying threads... except cruze's

• 5 weeks later...

The only argument I get from people about this is that a bed keeps your head off the floor, thus keeping dust our of your lungs,,,I don't buy it, unless you live on the ground floor in a dirty place. The aforementioned hygiene benefits more than offset this, in my opinion.

you obviously cant afford a good razor or a good mattress. I am willing to bet all my networth that my back is the worst on this forum even compared to people 50 years older than me and my mattress makes a big difference, i have had 2 5000baht mattress, 1 for 45 000 and one for 55 000. Also had cheap mattresses in hotels and awesome ones in expensive hotels and my back always feels better on a 35 000baht+. I also have a really thick beard where any electric razor even worth 10 000baht wont cut correctly. The 3 blade razor are as close as i can get to a decent shave without learning the pro barber's techniques with expensive equipement

you obviously cant afford a good razor or a good mattress. I am willing to bet all my networth that my back is the worst on this forum even compared to people 50 years older than me and my mattress makes a big difference, i have had 2 5000baht mattress, 1 for 45 000 and one for 55 000. Also had cheap mattresses in hotels and awesome ones in expensive hotels and my back always feels better on a 35 000baht+. I also have a really thick beard where any electric razor even worth 10 000baht wont cut correctly. The 3 blade razor are as close as i can get to a decent shave without learning the pro barber's techniques with expensive equipement

Retarded presumption. I could easily afford a bed and a "good" razor, my point is that I don't want or need them, nor would I get them if I won the lottery tomorrow.

As for your beard, I suggest you seek out the services of a barber with a straight edge razor. As for your back...well, you (quite literally) make your own bed, so now you have to lie in it. If your back problems are as severe as you claim, you only have yourself to blame by your continuing to sleep on thick mattresses and failing to identify the true causes and deal with them.

ps: sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite