The O-A Visa Now Appears To Officially Be Long Stay, Not Retirement

My visa issued September 1, 2011 says "Retirement Visa." It was issued inside Thailand.

I thought it was only possible to get this Visa in your country of origin and then renew it in Thailand.

Am I wrong?

How did you manage to get your Visa in Thailand?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Mac

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends upon where you get your Non Immigrant O-A Visa

The Thai Embassy in Washington, DC, uses just O-A, yet the Consulate in New York uses O-A and Long Stay written on the Visa:

post-10942-0-82306700-1323310756_thumb.p

The Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. was still using O-A as late as December 2010.

David

Until all the powers that be agree on a singe name the misunderstandings will continue.

Go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, they are the agency in charge of issuing your visa to enter Thailand, and look for "Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)". That is the official designation for said visa and has been since it was initiated years ago.

You’re brilliant Jingthing for catching onto this.

There could be a world of difference between the legal definition of retirement and long stay.

For example; retirement, the period of a person’s life during which he/she is no longer working, or the commencement of that period after reaching a certain age until that person becomes deceased.

Long stay or extended stay, for someone that needs to be away from home for a long period.

A period of time in which an authority considers is more than adequate for a purpose.

What this means is that long stay can be for a prescribed period, that period being at the discretion of an authority, unlike retirement in Thailand, which could mean permitted to stay during the remaining lifetime of a person over 50 years of age providing they meet the imposed criteria.

In other words it`s another classic recourse for the government that reminds us we could be sent packing at a moments notice.

My visa issued September 1, 2011 says "Retirement Visa." It was issued inside Thailand.

They do not issue long stay (retirement) visas inside Thailand. You have an extension of stay of your previous entry and the reason is "retirement".

So as stated, the "NON-O" stamp in my passport, issued Mae Sai, Dec.07/11 is an extention of stay based on a reason, be it retirement, court appearance, medical or other, with a proof of income? I will never receive a "NON O-A" stamp/visa as long as I just stay and get "extention of stay" , NON-O stamps every year? Cost was 2000 bt at that time.

I did screw up apparently and didn't have enough time left on my "visa exempt" entry (last day left) and had to run across into Burma and back to qualify. The wierd thing is, they sent me away after taking my paper work and had me return on my "last day left" of my "visa exempt" entry to get the "NON-O" stamp?

Mine is not to reason why, but to do and stay!!!

You obtained that visa inside Thailand as a non immigrant entry which is required to later obtain the retirement extension of stay. Cost for the visa entry was 2k and that allows you to stay the normal 90 days. You can then extend for retirement for the normal 1,900 baht fee of a TM.7 form. You had to present paperwork showing you were, or would be, qualified for retirement extension of stay to obtain that visa.

Question on the reporting to immigration every 3 mo., with the retirement visa. Do still only need to bring passport, nothing else needed, correct? Also, what is the time frame- like one week before and one week after the arrival stamp?

Thanks, m

On a positive note: Yesterday I received a one year extension stamped "retirement" from Jomtien/Pattaya Immigration. I was in and out in fifteen minutes. Highlights: As a United States citizen I brought the US embassy notarized affadavit of income; no bank letter, nor bankbook required. I brought two (color) copies of every passport page and each one was signed, plenty of pictures, two copies of form TM7(a) which now requires the addition of a personal telephone number. I also had two copies of a recent telephone bill in my name for proof of residency. Paid 1900B. Five out of the six people who helped me were friendly and helpful. The sixth didn't look in my direction. One stop shopping at its best! A pleasure!

My wife and I are about to enter Thailand on tourist visas and I will apply for a 1 year extension of stay (retirement) and multi-entry permits in Jomtien. I meet all of the requirements for the extension based on income and will have the affidavit notarized by the US consulate in BKK as soon as we arrive.

Your post gives hope that the process will be relatively painless.

Two questions: what type of visa did you initially have that was extended, and when you say "...two (color) copies of every passport page..." is that every page or only the face sheet and those which deal with entries/exits to/from Thailand?

Thanks!

They do not issue long stay (retirement) visas inside Thailand. You have an extension of stay of your previous entry and the reason is "retirement".

So as stated, the "NON-O" stamp in my passport, issued Mae Sai, Dec.07/11 is an extention of stay based on a reason, be it retirement, court appearance, medical or other, with a proof of income? I will never receive a "NON O-A" stamp/visa as long as I just stay and get "extention of stay" , NON-O stamps every year? Cost was 2000 bt at that time.

I did screw up apparently and didn't have enough time left on my "visa exempt" entry (last day left) and had to run across into Burma and back to qualify. The wierd thing is, they sent me away after taking my paper work and had me return on my "last day left" of my "visa exempt" entry to get the "NON-O" stamp?

Mine is not to reason why, but to do and stay!!!

Mae Sai did me the same way except they told me to go to Tachilek because I didn't have enough stamps in my new passport!:blink: Came back 2 weeks later (last month), paid 2k and got a Non-O Visa.:D

So if it's long-stay, does the age requirement no longer exist?

No, it is the same O-A visa. Minimum age of 50 is required. No maximum age though!

Find this a bit ridiculous, if you fit the requirements to meet all the criteria for an O-A visa, why should age have anything to do with it? What's the difference between a 44 year old and a 50 year old?

I have had 3 Non-Imm Multi 'O' visa until recently when I was refused another.......why? I fit all criteria, apart from being under 50!

So if it's long-stay, does the age requirement no longer exist?

No, it is the same O-A visa. Minimum age of 50 is required. No maximum age though!

Find this a bit ridiculous, if you fit the requirements to meet all the criteria for an O-A visa, why should age have anything to do with it? What's the difference between a 44 year old and a 50 year old?

I have had 3 Non-Imm Multi 'O' visa until recently when I was refused another.......why? I fit all criteria, apart from being under 50!

Well, they get to make the rules. Not that long ago, it was 55. I was lucky that they lowered it as I came over at 50. I don't usually go there to try to rationalize what immigration is thinking but my guess is they think the younger the retiree, the higher the chance they are working in Thailand illegally.

An interesting comparison is the Philippines. They do offer a younger age retirement visa option but require higher financial requirements for the younger applicants. The logic being if you quit work at 30, you had best be richer because its got to last a really long time.

The O-A yes I think is being called Long Stay but by keeping the age requirement at 50, the focus is still on older, usually retired people, to synch with the retirement EXTENSION rules.

Edited by Jingthing

On a positive note: Yesterday I received a one year extension stamped "retirement" from Jomtien/Pattaya Immigration. I was in and out in fifteen minutes. Highlights: As a United States citizen I brought the US embassy notarized affadavit of income; no bank letter, nor bankbook required. I brought two (color) copies of every passport page and each one was signed, plenty of pictures, two copies of form TM7(a) which now requires the addition of a personal telephone number. I also had two copies of a recent telephone bill in my name for proof of residency. Paid 1900B. Five out of the six people who helped me were friendly and helpful. The sixth didn't look in my direction. One stop shopping at its best! A pleasure!

My wife and I are about to enter Thailand on tourist visas and I will apply for a 1 year extension of stay (retirement) and multi-entry permits in Jomtien. I meet all of the requirements for the extension based on income and will have the affidavit notarized by the US consulate in BKK as soon as we arrive.

Your post gives hope that the process will be relatively painless.

Two questions: what type of visa did you initially have that was extended, and when you say "...two (color) copies of every passport page..." is that every page or only the face sheet and those which deal with entries/exits to/from Thailand?

Thanks!

You can only extend a Non-O visa for retirement purposes. You can either apply for a Non-O in your country using the reason "investigate retirement opportunities" or enter on a tourist visa and convert it to a Non-O in Thailand (Bangkok) for 2000 baht. You would then extend the Non-O for retirement purposes for 1900 baht. Since you will be using the Income Affidavit from the US Embassy there is no requirement for any money to season. Currently the US Embassy does not require any proof of income, it is only a sworn notarized statement. But, Immigration, at their discretion, might require you to provide proof in addition to the letter. The number of copies and what pages of your passport vary depending on what office is responsible for the area where you intend to live. Proof of address is also required.

Edited by wayned

Yes, but in addition:

-- not all embassies and consulates in the west will accept "exploring retirement" as a valid reason to grant a single entry O visa

-- not all immigration offices in Thailand offer change of visa status from tourist or 30 day stamp to O (never O-A); for locals of immigration offices that don't, they can do the change of status in Bangkok and the retirement extension at their Thailand home residence office

-- people CAN apply for single entry O visas in neighboring countries Laos and Malaysia based on the reason they will be applying for a retirement extension in Thailand

I have had multiple category O visas and they all say the same thing in my passport. At the top the say non-immigrant visa. Under category they say 'O'. Nothing about long term or the likes. All mine were issued from Thai consulates in the USA. As for the age requirements for the cat O visa, I'm in my late 30's so you certainly don't have to be if retirement age to get a cat O. The OP point is very valid as calling it a retirement visa send out the wrong message that you must be am old fart to get a cat O which is certainly not the case. What is the case is that to extend your cat O visa the requirements are different depending on what grounds you petitioning for an extension on. Ie.retirement.

I have had multiple category O visas and they all say the same thing in my passport. At the top the say non-immigrant visa. Under category they say 'O'. Nothing about long term or the likes. All mine were issued from Thai consulates in the USA. As for the age requirements for the cat O visa, I'm in my late 30's so you certainly don't have to be if retirement age to get a cat O. The OP point is very valid as calling it a retirement visa send out the wrong message that you must be am old fart to get a cat O which is certainly not the case. What is the case is that to extend your cat O visa the requirements are different depending on what grounds you petitioning for an extension on. Ie.retirement.

Well, I started this thread SPECIFICALLY to talk about O-A visas. O-A visas definitely have an age requirement as do retirement extensions. So I think you are talking about a really different topic to introduce multiple entry O visas that are not O-A.

The statement "you can only apply for extension of stay on a cat O based on retirement" is false.

Agreed. Not sure how that is so relevant to this thread though. Which is about O-A visas and by close relation retirement extensions and the other way to start with retirement extensions, an O visa. Not all threads can/need to cover all visa issues.

Edited by Jingthing

This

Well, I started this thread SPECIFICALLY to talk about O-A visas. O-A visas definitely have an age requirement as do retirement extensions. So I think you are talking about a really different topic to introduce multiple entry O visas that are not O-A.

Ok, fair enough... You are talking about o-a and I'm talking about o. It's just that most ofthe lazy old farts in this thread have been leaving the -a off in there comments. Should add to your title "for old farts ONLY"

Not really. You can enter the retirement extension system in Thailand starting with an O or an O-A. As the thread is about O-A and the O-A by definition has an "old" age requirement, I think that's the general topic area here. Old farts, old schmarts, beats the alternative.

Actually most of us old farts have never had or will have an O-A visa. We came on a non immigrant O visa and extend our stay for retirement. That is not O-A. The O-A is a special pre-approved visa/one year extension of stay combination obtained in home country and has only been available for a few years.

Edited by lopburi3
correct to add "never"

Of course, agreed, you don't EVER need an O-A to enter the retirement extension system in Thailand. But you DO need to be over 50.

BTW, I gave up LONG AGO on the naming convention suggestion I talked about in the OP. This thread is certainly proof of the futility of any such effort.

Edited by Jingthing

+ 1 for the OLD FART. Post number nine. We all agree to disagree with a lot of BS in between!

That's sort of cute, but what "BS" do you disagree with precisely?

OK, please don't bother answering that, but just because you're all set and don't feel the need to "think" about the rules or naming anymore (your post 9) doesn't mean people new to visa rules get them yet.

I think what confuses a lot of people is that there are multiple options on how to manage the visa mechanics of a long stay in Thailand and to figure out the most efficient way for you personally, you do actually have to learn something, or pay someone for advice which probably isn't as good as figuring it out yourself (more work).

Edited by Jingthing

Actually most of us old farts have never had or will have an O-A visa. We came on a non immigrant O visa and extend our stay for retirement. That is not O-A. The O-A is a special pre-approved visa/one year extension of stay combination obtained in home country and has only been available for a few years.

Well actually I started with a 30 day upon entry and did "visa" run every 30 days. Right about the time I turned 50, they stopped giving 30 days upon arrival at land crossings. So I did get an O-A. I actually got three as I was working part time still in the US (usually about the time my visa would expire). But now I have just gotten an extension for the purpose of retirement for the past three years. Much easier than doing an O-A! How many days will they allow you to renew your extension before it expires. I got them to do one 60 days before expiration last year. But they told me this time only...