Teachers Licence

nellyp

I am considering completing a degree here in Thailand. The reason for this is that I do not want the continued hassle of the teachers licence. I have now been informed though, that I will need a degree in education to get a full licence ( I was going to do a degree in English). Is this true? I was under the impression that I could have any degree to get a full licence. Also I have been told that the full licence will only last for 5 years. Are both these points true? Does anybody know if the tefl diploma will aid me in getting a full licence? I already hold a tefl cert. I'm sorry that this is another TL thread, but I have been going through all the topics on here and cannot find the relevant info.

There is no problem with having another TL topic. It's hard for me to keep track of all the variables, changes and regional differences that seem to affect these things. I'll give you my take and understanding. Others may different information.

To get a full, regular TL, you will either need to have a degree in education, or you will have to take the Examinations set up by the Teacher's Council of Thailand. If you are intent on staying in Thailand and being a teacher here, then go for the education degree.

Renewal of the TL is something I don't fully understand--my school takes care of it for me. Once you have the full TL, any renewal is an exercise in bureaucratic paperwork. No tests or anything like that. It's more akin to renewing your Driver's License, at least at this point in time.

To be eligible for a teacher license issued by The Teacher's Council of Thailand the applicant must hold a degree in education or equivalent OR have foreign teaching credentials OR have passed the TCT Professional Knowledge Tests. Further more, the applicant must have the certificate of the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course. To sit the TCT Professional Knowledge Test the applicant must hold a university degree.

The TCT Teacher License is valid for 5 years. Renewal is an administrative formality in which you have to declare having done activities that show efforts for staying up-to-date and efforts for improvement as a teacher.

All information can be found at the TCT's website: http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/

To sit the TCT Professional Knowledge Test the applicant must hold a university degree.

To take the test(s) you don't have to prove or show your degree. I'm not sure if at any point in the process you actually are checked out. I know of two people who easily sat for the tests only to get an additional two year waiver, and did. Both have no college degrees what so ever, only a TEFL certificate which in one case was acquired with money, no actual training and in both cases, even that document wasn't shown or verified. It's a great concept but as of yesterday afternoon(phones still not answered) they haven't actually put it into action in an efficient or professional way. Perhaps the office is lacking funding?

To take the test(s) you don't have to prove or show your degree. I'm not sure if at any point in the process you actually are checked out. I know of two people who easily sat for the tests only to get an additional two year waiver, and did. Both have no college degrees what so ever, only a TEFL certificate which in one case was acquired with money, no actual training and in both cases, even that document wasn't shown or verified. It's a great concept but as of yesterday afternoon(phones still not answered) they haven't actually put it into action in an efficient or professional way. Perhaps the office is lacking funding?

You're right there, 'BruceMangosteen. You don't have to show your degree when sitting the TCT Tests but according to the TCT regulations it is fraud when you provide false information when applying online for the tests. http://www.ksp.or.th...edge%20Test.pdf

Verification of the degree or other credentials will take place before the TCT will issue the actual teacher license.

Thanks for this info. I have been on the site but can see nowhere that it says about tefl diploma or delta being accepted instead of a degree. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks for this info. I have been on the site but can see nowhere that it says about tefl diploma or delta being accepted instead of a degree. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Have a look at this TCT document. http://www.ksp.or.th...ownload/011.pdf

The basic TCT rule is that an applicant must hold a degree in education or equivalent. In the accreditation rules the TCT distinguishes 2 types of relevant education for the teaching profession. 1) the degree in education and 2) The Graduate Diploma in Teaching Profession. For the Graduate Diploma the TCT wants to see 24 credits in teaching profession related subjects. I am pretty sure that the DELTA or TEFL Diploma does not include 24 credits in teaching profession related subjects as stipulated in mentioned document.

I have been in touch with text and talk, and they say that the TEFL diploma will not count towards a TL, I doubt if the DELTA will either because of the credits you need. This is a shame as I am trying to find a way to get a teachers Licence as I cannot get one for my school (even though in the provinces without proof that I am trying to obtain a degree. Cost stops me going on-line. I only have to prove registration at the moment, anybody have any ideas about somewhere I can register on the cheap but not have to pay for the course ( I am thinking of enrolling in a Thai Uni to see if I can get on a course where the content and exam are in English but can do through the Thai study programme as it is loads cheaper

Cheers