Calls To The Us

egeefay

I'm planning on visiting Thailand for a month but would like to stay in touch with my office here in the States

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cheapest way to make phonecalls to the US?

Someone told me there are phone cards you can buy in Thailand that allow you to call from Thailand to the US for a reasonable rate from any phone in Thailand

Someone else said that if I took my mobile phone to Thailand I could have the sim card changed (I have Verizon) and make direct calls via my cel phone

Any suggestions

AFAIK the following tarriffs apply: (using a NYC number)

0012125551212 or +12125551212 nine (9) baht per minute exclusive of 7% VAT

00912125551212 seven (7) baht per minute exclusive of VAT

00812125551212 six (6) baht per minute exclusive of VAT

These rates are available from any payphone (using a calling card and accessing a free local number), landline (using a calling card and accessing a free local number, some add'l charges may be applied) or mobile phone (pre-paid/post-paid).

The cheapest calling cards are 6 baht per minute excl. VAT and utilize the 008 prefix.

You can purchase a pre-paid SIM here in Thailand. Your phone needs to be able to support GSM900 networks (just Google the model and review the manufacturer's specs) and it needs to be unlocked. Unlocking can be done by a technician here in Thailand for a nominal fee. A new entry-level GSM900 phone can be purchased in Thailand for ~ 80 USD, or on e-Bay. Some U.S. mobile phone service providers offer GSM850/1900 services (Tmobile offers GSM1900, I've lost track of the GSM850 providers) in the U.S. and as such sell tri-/quad-band phones that support GSM900.

I am sure you are aware that VoIP, esp. PC-PC, calls are cost-effective. Some people even bring their Vonage or Packet8 adapter here and plug into a broadband conenction. The cheapest solution by far is to send an SMS (text message) and ask them to call you! "I'm having trouble calling out, but I seem to be able to recieve calls, can you call me on 00166nnnnnnnn?" Drop the leading zero for inbound int'l calls but you'll need it when calling intra-Thailand.

Edited by lomatopo

I'm planning on visiting Thailand for a month but would like to stay in touch with my office here in the States

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cheapest way to make phonecalls to the US?

Someone told me there are phone cards you can buy in Thailand that allow you to call from Thailand to the US for a reasonable rate from any phone in Thailand

Someone else said that if I took my mobile phone to Thailand I could have the sim card changed (I have Verizon) and make direct calls via my cel phone

Any suggestions

If you happen to be bringing your laptop, you can use Skype and call any phone in the US, cell or otherwise for 1.7 eurocents/minute or about US$.02/minute. Otherwise of course you can call PC to PC for free. If your company has a 800 number, you can dial it for free also via Skype.

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions

After spending a month in Thailand I think I answered my own question.

The easiest thing for me to do was to buy a used phone for $1500 baht from one of the many sellers at any one of the big shopping centers..

Then buy a prepaid phone card for international calls at any 7-11 store in Thailand. I think they come in 600 baht amounts

Just dial the access number on the phone card and call whatever US number you want.

When you run out of time , just buy another card.

They've got them for calling within Thailand and calling overseas too.

I liked buying my own phone in Thailand because I could give out my own number to friends and business contacts. I felt connected where ever I went and anyone could reach me. When I left, I left the phone with a friend who will use it to keep my number active. That way when I'm in Thailand again, I'll be able to keep the same number and everyone who added my number to their calling lists won't have to change a thing.