Why Do People That Don'T Seem To Like The Way Phuket Is, Stay Here?

Jimi007

You don't know me!

I can't comment on your threads because I don't remember any to be honest, but if they keep getting deleted then they can't be that beneficial to the forum.

I do however remember you making the bold statement to the world that you had made your last post for a while on the forum just a day or so ago. (I believe it's known as flouncing) I also noticed you were logged in and browsing the forum for several hours after that and posting again today!

Some people seem to think my posts are good and some seem to think they are very good judging by their reaction, so I guess this is one of those forums where a small handfull of regulars jump all over every post and poster, a bit like marking their territory by peeing all over the place.

P.S In my experience, flouncing is one of the surest signs someone is need of a bit of attention. In my opinion it is a sad day when people need to get that attention from a forum.

My good friend katasyd just informed me of this post. So I couldn't resist. I did have a couple of days off...The reason you see me online is because the page is open in my smartphone. The reason you are angry is because Im right.

P.s. Im still waiting for an answer to my questions

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason you see me online is because the page is open in my smartphone. The reason you are angry is because Im right.

I'm not angry in the slightest.

I'm not sure, but I don't think just having the page open in your smartphone would make your name alternate between the bottom of the last two threads you posted in? That looks like someone scanning for replies for a solid couple of hours moments after saying they were done with the forum! You say you make lots of good posts. To be honest I can only judge the last few as that's all I can remember but they were post insinuating everyone on the forum was old (blue rinse set) and posts saying how boring everybody elses threads were. Hardly single handidly keeping the forums community spirit alive are you??

I'll give you one thing though, you're right my posts are extremely hypercritical. This exchange of posts is exactly what we were talking about, so in this case I'm just as guilty as you. (although in fairness I was doing it just to make a point, I'm not sure what your excuse would be)

Someone described one of my first posts as 'extremely insightful' and then others agreed. Yet here we are you and I having the usual to and fro that people on forums always have. Did I instigate that or was it the person who said he was done with the forum for a while?

Like I said before, all forums have a small group of people that pounce on every post from every poster (mainly concentrating on the poster not the post) just like a pack of dogs marking their territory. They are the main reason for tedium on forums.

EDIT: The same way your name is at the bottom of the page right now. Just waiting to keep the tedium going. I've made my point so I won't be playing the 'you two should get a room' game with you. I'll leave it there, I'm sure you still have enough left to say for both of us anyway.

Edited by HongKongPhooey

Cheers. i read the first sentence and couldn't really get into it BTB. Looks like the ratings of a madman. Anyways Im having a drink down at Patong with katasyd, and i am on my smartphone and we will check in the next couple of hours for a laugh. I will retract my statement about staying off thaivisa. The idiots are entertaining me again

I can see where you're both coming from but I think my definition of the word 'banter' must differ from yours. People who dislike each other and are completely unable to get a long, don't partake in banter. They take part in pissing contests and slanging matches. The word banter implies the ability to tolerate each other at the very least, and I'd even go as far as saying a certain amount of respect for each other. For banter to be banter it needs to be directed in a certain way and recieved in a certain way, i.e both parties happy and amused. If that's not the case then banter it isn't.

Disagreements are different all together. Any forum with more than one member will have disagreements, that's perfectly normal. I've read lots of threads on here that have got pretty heated. Tuk tuks and duel pricing come to mind. Those threads are great. People are emotional and have strong opinions and want their opinions heard, that's human nature and a lot of fun. But the same people that come on here to tell everyone how crap Phuket is, and the same people who tell you you're a moron because you prefer to live somewhere different from them, will alway ruin those kind of threads by not having enough brains to discuss the topic without reverting to childish sqabbling, and name calling. It's those kind of people who make most forums a waste of time.

I don't believe eradicating forums of a certain kind of poster is 'sanatizing' it. You critisize other threads about business cards and hair dye for being so 'riverting' but then how exactly is pointing that out going to change the forum any. If you are going to put down other threads for being boring, shouldn't you be posting more interesting ones yourself at the same time?

welcome back BTB, your usual preachy hypochritical dribble is so obvious its actually amusing. I start plenty of threads about various things around the island....Problem with my topics is they always get closed down and in a rather quick fashion. Im guessing because they are controversial, interesting or preople get too heated or a combination of all 3. Can you show me something of interest you have posted? And I dont mean disecting what other posters have written....also you still didnt answer my question about where you lived :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snamos...i agree with you, i smelt him, but you have had the guts to name him im surprised none of the other posters have not recognised him..he always thinks hes right and always wants the last word.hes addicted to this forum,we are his toys,especially if we reply to him.......,hes clever,hes playing with us.

Yeah but the ban has hurt him...we know he is BTB but he cant admit it or he gets thrown off...he has to keep changing his name. He actually cant answer a direct question.

Yeah, I get tired of users who don't like the way forums are but keep on posting on them.

I get tired of users who don't allow others their opinions without totally and subjectively judging them.

you remind me of some previous posters on TV who no longer post ,you would not be the same poster would you? you certainly dont sound like a NEWBIE :(

Oh Dear

The ol' Thais as a "race". No but they are a culture with a heritage of irritating habits, in some folk's opinions is all. No need to to start judging others and being mean to others that have different opinions than yours.

NOt sure why speaking in English with Thais invalidates opinions either. I tis not so much the language, as the acts I comment upon.

It would be interesting to know how many people who moan about Phuket, Thai people, Scams etc actively try and learn Thai so they can integrate with Thai society better.

Spot on. The fact that people who hate Phuket and Thai people find themselves on the Phuket section of a Thailand forum in the first place, is itself extremely demented and illogical. But the fact that the vast majority of them can't say more than a few words in Thai makes it that much worse.

How can you possible claim to understand a race of people and believe your opinion about their character is the correct one, whe you've never been able to say more than two words to them?

The thai haters that really make me laugh are the ones that say how rude all Thai people are and how they are always talking about you behind your back. The fact that they don't speak the languge and therefor can't understand a word they're saying seems to have escaped them.

Oh Dear

The ol' Thais as a "race". No but they are a culture with a heritage of irritating habits, in some folk's opinions is all. No need to to start judging others and being mean to others that have different opinions than yours.

NOt sure why speaking in English with Thais invalidates opinions either. I tis not so much the language, as the acts I comment upon.

It would be interesting to know how many people who moan about Phuket, Thai people, Scams etc actively try and learn Thai so they can integrate with Thai society better.

Spot on. The fact that people who hate Phuket and Thai people find themselves on the Phuket section of a Thailand forum in the first place, is itself extremely demented and illogical. But the fact that the vast majority of them can't say more than a few words in Thai makes it that much worse.

How can you possible claim to understand a race of people and believe your opinion about their character is the correct one, whe you've never been able to say more than two words to them?

The thai haters that really make me laugh are the ones that say how rude all Thai people are and how they are always talking about you behind your back. The fact that they don't speak the languge and therefor can't understand a word they're saying seems to have escaped them.

I don't believe anyone said that not speaking Thai invalidated your opinion but what I think it does do is make is make it harder to integrate with Thai society. (People not understanding, getting treated as a tourist, paying farang price for things, having thai friends). If you could speak Thai maybe the acts wouldn't happen so often.

eg:

Me: Can you bring the drill?

Thai staff: Yes

Me: Are you sure you understand?

Thai staff: Yes

Me: OK see you in 5 minutes

(5 minutes later)

Me: Where is the drill?

Thai staff: Sorry I not have, I not understand

Speak Thai = Problem solved

Yeah, I get tired of users who don't like the way forums are but keep on posting on them.

I get tired of users who don't allow others their opinions without totally and subjectively judging them.

you remind me of some previous posters on TV who no longer post ,you would not be the same poster would you? you certainly dont sound like a NEWBIE :(

I get tired to of posters like you not accepting the Thais for what they are,we can not change them, we are guests here..Tiger wan you have had more names than BTB..and your Opinons are yours..and mine are mine

are you addicted to forums as well?...to VOICE your opinions :o

I don't believe anyone said that not speaking Thai invalidated your opinion but what I think it does do is make is make it harder to integrate with Thai society. (People not understanding, getting treated as a tourist, paying farang price for things, having thai friends). If you could speak Thai maybe the acts wouldn't happen so often.

Exactly. People always complain about being treated like a 'mark' and like a walking ATM machine. That's the same in any developing country that has an interest to tourists the world over. It's pretty obvious why it happens.

However, you start to speak Thai with Thai people and you can instantly see their attitude toward you change. Sometimes it's just because they know you've been here a while and won't be open to their scams, but most of the time it's genuine.

Like I said before, it's pretty hard to understand someones character if you can't comunicate with them and can't joke with them. Until then all you have is your first impression of how they look, and how often do we get that wrong.

People who can't speak Thai yet moan about the way they are percieved and treated, have nobody to blame but themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. People always complain about being treated like a 'mark' and like a walking ATM machine. That's the same in any developing country that has an interest to tourists the world over. It's pretty obvious why it happens.

However, you start to speak Thai with Thai people and you can instantly see their attitude toward you change. Sometimes it's just because they know you've been here a while and won't be open to their scams, but most of the time it's genuine.

Like I said before, it's pretty hard to understand someones character if you can't comunicate with them and can't joke with them. Until then all you have is your first impression of how they look, and how often do we get that wrong.

People who can't speak Thai yet moan about the way they are percieved and treated, have nobody to blame but themselves as far as I'm concerned.

I speak a little Thai and I get on with all my Thai neighbors, in my opinion being treated badly by Thia's has nothing to do with being able to speak the language or not, if you are a nice decent person who does not have an attitude it is great here, my Thai is no where near conversational but I still get on well with all Thia's and I have never had a problem here! :D

I speak a little Thai and I get on with all my Thai neighbors, in my opinion being treated badly by Thia's has nothing to do with being able to speak the language or not, if you are a nice decent person who does not have an attitude it is great here, my Thai is no where near conversational but I still get on well with all Thia's and I have never had a problem here! :D

Of course being a decent person is the most important thing, but decent people will still get treated like a tourist. Until you can communicate with Thai people, to a lot of them you will be a faceless tourist who's come here to spend lots of money, that's all they will see and who can blame them.

I think one of the reasons a lot of expats on forums have so much disdain for Thais is because they can never come to terms with the feeling of just being a walking cash machine. But that has nothing to do with Thai people, it's the same in any tourist destination anywhere in the world.

When you learn to speak some Thai you instantly get elevated from a walking wallet to a person.

Do you think you would have such a close relationship with your neighbours kenny if you didn't speak any Thai at all? I would guess not. Even showing willing with very bad Thai will endear you to Thai people. That's why I find it highly hypercritical when people insult Thai people when they don't even understand them well enough to speak any of their language.

Just because you write long posts and claim you can speak Thai doesnt mean you are intelligent, It screams of boredom. How long did it take you to type that?^^ Probably a good half an hour. Frankly Ive got better things to do with my time. the fact that youve been banned and keep coming here under different aliases screams of addiction, must be extremely boring up at Bang Tao

Also I'll give you a couple of free tips (as thats the sort of guy I am)rolleyes.gif,

Try and hang around with some educated Thais and their English language abilities would astound you, also they arent out to scam you...if you hang around the <deleted> all the time then of course they will refer to you as 'mun' instead of he or she and will be out to rip you off....the old saying if you lay down with dogs

Also speak Thai with any local cops and they will assume that you think they are stupid and cant speak English, doesn't really work out in your favour.

Of course being a decent person is the most important thing, but decent people will still get treated like a tourist. Until you can communicate with Thai people, to a lot of them you will be a faceless tourist who's come here to spend lots of money, that's all they will see and who can blame them.

I think one of the reasons a lot of expats on forums have so much disdain for Thais is because they can never come to terms with the feeling of just being a walking cash machine. But that has nothing to do with Thai people, it's the same in any tourist destination anywhere in the world.

When you learn to speak some Thai you instantly get elevated from a walking wallet to a person.

Do you think you would have such a close relationship with your neighbours kenny if you didn't speak any Thai at all? I would guess not. Even showing willing with very bad Thai will endear you to Thai people. That's why I find it highly hypercritical when people insult Thai people when they don't even understand them well enough to speak any of their language.

Yes I feel I would still be respected by all the Thai people I know, I have never been treated like a tourist and have always got on well with everyone, when I first arrived in Thailand there was no problem's for me here, smile be polite show consideration and you will have a great life here language or no language!! but obviously being able to communicate will make the Thailand experience 100% better..

Yes I feel I would still be respected by all the Thai people I know, I have never been treated like a tourist and have always got on well with everyone, when I first arrived in Thailand there was no problem's for me here, smile be polite show consideration and you will have a great life here language or no language!! but obviously being able to communicate will make the Thailand experience 100% better..

Lucky you to have "never been treated like a tourist"! :o

I've found that it is a process - somebody rips you off, just don't use them again.

One also discovers those 'traders' that appreciate our business and deal fairly.

Speaking Thai is not a 'guarantee' of good service - it depends on the 'trader' and their attitude towards 'farangs'.

Lucky you to have "never been treated like a tourist"! :o

I've found that it is a process - somebody rips you off, just don't use them again.

One also discovers those 'traders' that appreciate our business and deal fairly.

Speaking Thai is not a 'guarantee' of good service - it depends on the 'trader' and their attitude towards 'farangs'.

Very true. Sometimes my wife tells me not to go somewhere with her to get something because if they see me they will charge more. Most places I shop at I have shopped at for years and they know me. One place I buy shirts at charges me the same price they did 5 years ago. Plus I know what the price of most things I buy should be. When someone tries to charge me more, I just tell them I don't need it at that price in Thai and walk out and don't go back.

Very true. Sometimes my wife tells me not to go somewhere with her to get something because if they see me they will charge more. Most places I shop at I have shopped at for years and they know me. One place I buy shirts at charges me the same price they did 5 years ago. Plus I know what the price of most things I buy should be. When someone tries to charge me more, I just tell them I don't need it at that price in Thai and walk out and don't go back.

For years we have the normal routine that my wife goes in alone, negotiates the price (from a shirt to a piece of land), then once the price is agreed I walk in and complete the deal. The look on the seller's face is amusing to see. On the other hand when we walk in together to buy something, there is always rapid talk in Thai asking what's her cut of a higher price, much to their surprise she declines (with sharp words) and we walk away. :D

For years we have the normal routine that my wife goes in alone, negotiates the price (from a shirt to a piece of land), then once the price is agreed I walk in and complete the deal. The look on the seller's face is amusing to see. On the other hand when we walk in together to buy something, there is always rapid talk in Thai asking what's her cut of a higher price, much to their surprise she declines (with sharp words) and we walk away. :D

Ive done that on a few occasions...even down to negotiating taxi fares...I'll hide in the shop and wait till the misses clinches the deal...and then I stroll out of the shop. its priceless to see the look on their faces....better yet, get a Thai bloke to do the negotiating. It is even more covert!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by snamos

Ive done that on a few occasions...even down to negotiating taxi fares...I'll hide in the shop and wait till the misses clinches the deal...and then I stroll out of the shop. its priceless to see the look on their faces....better yet, get a Thai bloke to do the negotiating. It is even more covert!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

What a load of rubbish are you seing a different Thailand to me? covert whats that all about never had a problem here!!

What a load of rubbish are you seing a different Thailand to me? covert whats that all about never had a problem here!!

I guess so. Maybe you just don't know when you're being taken advantage of... I remember when I was in Sa Kaeo for the first time two years ago visiting the in laws. I went with the family to the local government office to get a paper from them saying my fiancé had never married. Since I was along they wanted 10,000 Baht. I said no way. On our way out she saw a friend who worked there, who asked what the problem was, as the certificate is supposed to be free. We were told by her friend that the guy in charge saw me and wanted money (farang can afford to pay). Her friend took care of it and it was delivered to our house in Rawai the next week by EMS. Free. Just one of many stories along this same theme...

Next time you see a sign that says ' house for rent ' ring the number and ask how much in your best Thai or English...then get a Thai person to ring up the next day. And if the price is the same...give me some of what your smokin

Only time i have felt ripped off or overcharged is when dealing with a foreign owned/run company here.

I feel comfortable only dealing with Thai.

Boycott the ones who can't cut in business back home. easier to operate here where there are no consumers protection laws.

Only time i have felt ripped off or overcharged is when dealing with a foreign owned/run company here.

Boycott the ones who can't cut in business back home. easier to operate here where there are no consumers protection laws.

That is so true! These 'businessmen' cant cut it in their own country so they come to Thailand with their time share <deleted>. Or do something amazingly original and open a bar with their hooker wife. And then go on to stitch up their mates.

Thai owned bars are cheaper than farang owned...just look at Tamarind in Chalong....it was 60 baht a beer last time I went there and Porn (Neice of the owner) would always buy a beer for the punters. And please dont anyone in this forum embarrass themselves and try and tell the forum that falang owned joints are cheaper...DOESNT HAPPEN!!!

Plus the food is better in Thai owned places...not <deleted> sandwiches with 7-11 bread and plastic cheese like the falang 'businesses' . Dont get me started on the yacht charters.....some drunk old South African who escaped the country after their country turned to crap, so they buy a yacht and try to 'entertain' their guests by putting around Chalong bay, drunk as 10 men letting their guests know all about their worldy travels to Langkawai......gimme a break!!!

I laugh at a lot expats here who proclaim to be businessmen...try calling yourself that in your home country. Imposter comes to mind

What a load of rubbish, you hide in a door way then come out to see the persons face, are you serious, a sad way to live your life in Thailand, am I the only one on this forum that has never had a problem here or am I the only one to tell the truth, every time I look at the posts on here I think troll !!

That is so true! These 'businessmen' cant cut it in their own country so they come to Thailand with their time share <deleted>. Or do something amazingly original and open a bar with their hooker wife. And then go on to stitch up their mates.

Thai owned bars are cheaper than farang owned...just look at Tamarind in Chalong....it was 60 baht a beer last time I went there and Porn (Neice of the owner) would always buy a beer for the punters. And please dont anyone in this forum embarrass themselves and try and tell the forum that falang owned joints are cheaper...DOESNT HAPPEN!!!

Plus the food is better in Thai owned places...not <deleted> sandwiches with 7-11 bread and plastic cheese like the falang 'businesses' . Dont get me started on the yacht charters.....some drunk old South African who escaped the country after their country turned to crap, so they buy a yacht and try to 'entertain' their guests by putting around Chalong bay, drunk as 10 men letting their guests know all about their worldy travels to Langkawai......gimme a break!!!

I laugh at a lot expats here who proclaim to be businessmen...try calling yourself that in your home country. Imposter comes to mind

You seem to have many many problems here maybe it is time to leave, today I was drinking small bottles of Leo in a Thai place for 40 bht I fail to see why you have so many issues here!!

Anyway I love Thailand and love Phuket, I am patient and very considerate of others at all times, as far as I am aware I have never been ripped off, 2 1/2 yrs driving here and never had a problem with anyone, maybe I am just very lucky!!

What a load of rubbish, you hide in a door way then come out to see the persons face, are you serious, a sad way to live your life in Thailand, am I the only one on this forum that has never had a problem here or am I the only one to tell the truth, every time I look at the posts on here I think troll !!

try polishing off the walking stick and getting out for a while

You seem to have many many problems here maybe it is time to leave, today I was drinking small bottles of Leo in a Thai place for 40 bht I fail to see why you have so many issues here!!

Thats the point he was making.

Try getting a 40 baht beer in a farang owned bar.

More chance of seeing Santa Claus and his flying reindeer.

Recently got a kitchen quote from 3 companies,all using hafale fittings and smeg appliances. farang owned company quoted 110k higher than with the 2 Thai companies.

People have a false sense of security with western run companies thinking the quality is better but all they are doing is playing middleman and overcharging.

try polishing off the walking stick and getting out for a while

If I felt the need to hide in the shadows and complain continuously it would be time to leave this country, I don't understand why anyone would want to hide in a door way, still up to you and each to there own, just dusting off my walking stick which of course I do not own lol :D