O Negative Blood Needed Urgently URGENT

I have been asked to pass on the following message:

One of the Thai staff at Beach Republic has just given birth and is in urgent need of O negative blood and all the hospitals on the island are out of stock.

If you can help please contact Vivian on 081 551 5401. Thanks.

Just tried dialling the number and it is 'not available at this time.' It did ring but was then switched off, so much for an emergency!

Each of the five hospitals on Koh Samui have been supplied with a list (on CD) of potential donors by the Rotary Club of Koh Samui. They need to check this list as there are 15 O negative names on the list.

If they have 'lost' the list, please get the hospital staff to contact me.

Pm me for phone number.

I have also received a message from another source. The requirement is by Nathon hospital.Perhaps try & contact them direct

Samul Hospital (Nathon) - 077.421.230

its all over Facebook, with the power of forums and social networking, i hope the blood is found :jap:

I am O negative but out of the country, wish I could have been home to help.

i am wiating for my mum to wake up in england to let me know what type of bloood i have.

i was clinically born dead

bit random thing for me to say but it is true.

there u go a useless fact about bigc

my blood is clean though. i have just recently had a baby so they checked my blood when my misses was pregnant.

my misses is o negative but she is too thin to give blood.

i hope i get my result back soon if so i shall rush down the hospital

I have also received a message from another source. The requirement is by Nathon hospital.Perhaps try & contact them direct

Samul Hospital (Nathon) - 077.421.230

its all over Facebook, with the power of forums and social networking, i hope the blood is found :jap:

it is like anything if someone wa to offer 10 000 baht i am sure people would be quing up.

Thai peoeple have their blood groups on their ID cards

i would have thought that the procees of a bloo dtransusion would not be straight forward as to giving blood from one person to anothr.

would have thought that t he blood would have to be tested first which would take time.

their again if it is life threatening then i suppose the person does not have much time to wait.

doesn't the red cross have any in storage

Edited by BigC

I am O neg, and on the 'list' from the rotary club, but no one has contacted me.

It is exasperating, I know.

I have contacted this Vivian this morning and given her the name of the Nathon Hospital Director to whom we gave the list of potential donors initially.

I have also offered to send the database to the hospital again if they have 'lost' the original list.

As of now no-one has been in contact with me.

As you are on the list and have the required blood group, Eric, why not go directly to the hospital to offer your blood?

I am O neg, and on the 'list' from the rotary club, but no one has contacted me.

I have contacted this Vivian this morning and given her the name of the Nathon Hospital Director to whom we gave the list of potential donors initially.

I have also offered to send the database to the hospital again if they have 'lost' the original list.

As you are on the list and have the required blood group, Eric, why not go directly to the hospital to offer your blood?

I have just spoken to Viv - they need a lot of blood. I am off to Nathon now.

Big C - go to any hospital, they can tell you your blood type after a small test.

I'm going tomorrow to give blood, can't today as i've got lots of alcohol in my system... unsure.gif

On another note, this is making me think we should organise a blood donating service, one where we make in convenient for people to give so that more do... Or is there one already that I don't know about? As I used to give blood regularly in the UK but I'm ashamed to say it hasn't even crossed my mind in the 2 years I've been here.

I believe that I am also on that list, but similarly I have not been contacted. After reading this post I went a donated.

Thanks for all the concerned people, as mentioned, perhaps the best avenue is to go direct to the hospital. Can someone close please keep us updated on this thread.

Just got back from nathon hospital where they took my 0- blood..

There was a queue of people there both faring and thai.it was very good to see people turning out.

They still need blood as the patient is in ICU.

I live on Koh Samui andgot this message last night from one of the nurses at the hospital inNathon.

We instantly called andtext around trying to find O negative without any luck.

Come morning I received acall from a local friend saying she new someone with O negative.

Great news but her friendcouldn't donate blood as she had taken some medication the night before. Shewill go back in 2 days.

You can give blood every6 hours apparently.

I went to see the lady inNathon Hospital today. She is very sick.

When I spoke to her mother she said she was in a comma last night and now shehas a 50 / 50 chance of survival.

Her husband told me theystill need more blood.

I did manage to talk withthe sick lady. She wasn't able to talk to me, but she understood what I wassaying.

I was telling her to bestrong and that many people were trying to help her. She nodded with a reply. Itmade me shed a tear.

Her newborn baby is ok.

Please help her if you can.

Ajansam

I am O negative but out of the country, wish I could have been home to help.

Thanks for all the concerned people, as mentioned, perhaps the best avenue is to go direct to the hospital.

Can someone close please keep us updated on this thread.

I went at around 1250 today and they wouldn't take my O- blood as my blood pressure was 171 (too high). So I went downstairs to see a doctor. After about a half hour the nurse took my blood pressure and it was 136/81, well within limits. So instead of hanging around for the doctor, I went back upstairs and told them. They rechecked my blood pressure and insisted the it was way too high, 172-190. I told them that their machine was wrong, but they insisded that I could not give blood. When I eventually saw the doctor downstairs, she said that the machine upstairs was wrong....... what could I do, but come home. I just wonder how many other people could not give blood to this lady today because of ' high blood pressure'.

Sorry to the lady.

I'm not sure if it will help, but I have the number of her husband.

If any one wants it please call me on +66 089 589 6356

Also I have the number of one of the nurses that works there.

Ajansam

I believe that I am also on that list, but similarly I have not been contacted. After reading this post I went a donated.

Thanks for all the concerned people, as mentioned, perhaps the best avenue is to go direct to the hospital.

Can someone close please keep us updated on this thread.

I went at around 1250 today and they wouldn't take my O- blood as my blood pressure was 171 (too high). So I went downstairs to see a doctor. After about a half hour the nurse took my blood pressure and it was 136/81, well within limits. So instead of hanging around for the doctor, I went back upstairs and told them. They rechecked my blood pressure and insisted the it was way too high, 172-190. I told them that their machine was wrong, but they insisded that I could not give blood. When I eventually saw the doctor downstairs, she said that the machine upstairs was wrong....... what could I do, but come home. I just wonder how many other people could not give blood to this lady today because of ' high blood pressure'.

Sorry to the lady.

It happened to me too. I have never had high blood pressure, and I have given blood regularly. I hung around for 40 minutes but 'still too high'. I said that it was only the traffic. Who does not have high blood pressure drivng from Plai Laem to Nathon?

Hey Eric, we tried. :(

Got a call from a mate this morning asking me if I was that blood type.

I haven't got a clue what type I am though! :(

If you go to the hospital (Nathon) they will test you. You will then know for the rest of your life.:whistling: (It might be useful if you need a transfusion - saves time.)

I'm going tomorrow to give blood, can't today as i've got lots of alcohol in my system... unsure.gif

On another note, this is making me think we should organise a blood donating service, one where we make in convenient for people to give so that more do... Or is there one already that I don't know about? As I used to give blood regularly in the UK but I'm ashamed to say it hasn't even crossed my mind in the 2 years I've been here.

This is definitely a good idea. The hospitals got together a while back when someone needed huge amounts of blood (O- again).

There is a database somewhere (as someone has posted) and I have been called up in emergencies (eg when the Bandit Airways plane crashed), but maybe this has fallen down a crack as it is the government hospital that needs the blood, not the private ones. Also, after my trip there today - they do have a problem with English. Maybe they do have the 'donation' database CD, but no one can read it?

Apparently the Thai Red Cross do blood drives, but I do not know how to contact them. (They were in Tesco earlier this month collecting blood). Again, English is a problem there.

Edited by Tropicalevo