Political Prisoners, Including Arisman, To Be Moved To New Facility

webfact

I understand my post might perhaps be difficult to understand for ESL'ers, but I never said anything negative about the committee as you infer. I simply stated that while they specifically addressed the illegal assembly of more than 3 people could be construed by them as political crime, they didn't address the violent acts by Red Shirts.

I also think they have put out some good information, like finding that much of the current difficulty all derives from inappropriate judicial judgements concerning Thaksin.

The root cause of violent events in Thailand...

http://www.thaivisa....dpost&p=4900662

Yes, they did address the violent acts committed by Red Shirts. Here again, to read:

5.3 TRCT believes that political conflict that has occurred in the past was a

significant factor in later violence and violation of criminal law by various parties. The

violence and violation of criminal law that occurred cannot be considered as normal social

behavior without such political conflict because the violation is fundamentally based upon

political perspectives.

More detailed, earlier on in the report:

1. Introduction

The conflict and violent incidents that recently occurred in Thailand, especially

during April and May 2010, resulted in tremendous loss and damage to the nation and

affected all Thai people. There was violence during political gatherings, possible violations of

human rights, loss of life, physical and mental injury, loss of property, and other forms of

loss.

And specifically:

3.2 Truth-seeking

The progress of the TRCT in investigating the violent conflict can be summarized

as follows:

3.2.1 An overall view of the conflict has been established and data on individual

incidents has been collected including the number of people who died or disappeared,

were injured, accused, or detained; the number and type of violent incidents, and damages

incurred by affected parties. Major incidents are as follows:

(1) Death of six people at Wat Pratumwanaram

(2) Death of two foreigners; Mr. Hiro Muramoto and Mr. Fabio Polenghi

(3) Death of Maj.-Gen. Khattiya Sawasdipol

(4) Incident at the Kok-wua intersection

(5) Incident at the Bongai-Silom area

(6) Incident at the Dindaeng-Rangnam intersection

(7) Incident at the Democracy Monument

(8) Incident at Thaicom Satellite

(9) Arson of buildings in Bangkok

(10) Arson of government building and property in the

provinces of Chiangmai, Udornthani, Khonkaen,

Ubonrachathani and Mukdaharn.

3.2.2 Facts collected on the incidents

(1) There are a total of 258 cases relating to charges against demonstrators.

These include:

1. Terrorism and sabotage: 147 cases

2. Threats made against the government: 22 cases

3. Attacks against the public and authority: 69 cases

4. Abuse of state weaponry: 20 cases

Of these 258 cases, investigations into 102 cases have been

completed. The number of suspects involved in these cases is 642; 274 have been arrested,

366 are still at large and two have died.

(2) There were 62 cases of arson – 49 in Bangkok and 24 in other

provinces involving 457 suspects. To date, 1445 of these suspects have been arrested. Arson

occurred in at least 71 locations; 37 in Bangkok and 346 at places in other provinces.

3.2.3 Hearings for victims7 have been organized to provide opportunities for

them to explain events from their point of view. TRCT also collected facts and opinions in

order to cross check information.

And yes, besides many other points, the reports also states that the commission views the root cause as the hidden asset case against Thaksin, and views it as a misjudgement. For a slightly expanded critical view on this case i would also refer to Duncan McCargo's relevant paper for further details. While i tend to partially agree with the TRCT's findings on this subject, it still is hardly topic of this particular discussion, and as you are always so keen to remind others on what may be off topic - i would suggest to do the same here, and stick with the subject matter of what is seen in the title under "political prisoners", etc.

While i tend to partially agree with the TRCT's findings on this subject, it still is hardly topic of this particular discussion, and as you are always so keen to remind others on what may be off topic - i would suggest to do the same here, and stick with the subject matter of what is seen in the title under "political prisoners", etc.

I will do so if you similarly promise not to derail every future thread with your seemingly obligatory off-topic posts.

Deal?

I understand my post might perhaps be difficult to understand for ESL'ers, but I never said anything negative about the committee as you infer. I simply stated that while they specifically addressed the illegal assembly of more than 3 people could be construed by them as political crime, they didn't address the violent acts by Red Shirts.

I also think they have put out some good information, like finding that much of the current difficulty all derives from inappropriate judicial judgements concerning Thaksin.

The root cause of violent events in Thailand...

http://www.thaivisa....dpost&p=4900662

Yes, they did address the violent acts committed by Red Shirts. Here again, to read:

5.3 TRCT believes that political conflict that has occurred in the past was a

significant factor in later violence and violation of criminal law by various parties. The

violence and violation of criminal law that occurred cannot be considered as normal social

behavior without such political conflict because the violation is fundamentally based upon

political perspectives.

More detailed, earlier on in the report:

1. Introduction

The conflict and violent incidents that recently occurred in Thailand, especially

during April and May 2010, resulted in tremendous loss and damage to the nation and

affected all Thai people. There was violence during political gatherings, possible violations of

human rights, loss of life, physical and mental injury, loss of property, and other forms of

loss.

And specifically:

3.2 Truth-seeking

The progress of the TRCT in investigating the violent conflict can be summarized

as follows:

3.2.1 An overall view of the conflict has been established and data on individual

incidents has been collected including the number of people who died or disappeared,

were injured, accused, or detained; the number and type of violent incidents, and damages

incurred by affected parties. Major incidents are as follows:

(1) Death of six people at Wat Pratumwanaram

(2) Death of two foreigners; Mr. Hiro Muramoto and Mr. Fabio Polenghi

(3) Death of Maj.-Gen. Khattiya Sawasdipol

(4) Incident at the Kok-wua intersection

(5) Incident at the Bongai-Silom area

(6) Incident at the Dindaeng-Rangnam intersection

(7) Incident at the Democracy Monument

(8) Incident at Thaicom Satellite

(9) Arson of buildings in Bangkok

(10) Arson of government building and property in the

provinces of Chiangmai, Udornthani, Khonkaen,

Ubonrachathani and Mukdaharn.

3.2.2 Facts collected on the incidents

(1) There are a total of 258 cases relating to charges against demonstrators.

These include:

1. Terrorism and sabotage: 147 cases

2. Threats made against the government: 22 cases

3. Attacks against the public and authority: 69 cases

4. Abuse of state weaponry: 20 cases

Of these 258 cases, investigations into 102 cases have been

completed. The number of suspects involved in these cases is 642; 274 have been arrested,

366 are still at large and two have died.

(2) There were 62 cases of arson – 49 in Bangkok and 24 in other

provinces involving 457 suspects. To date, 1445 of these suspects have been arrested. Arson

occurred in at least 71 locations; 37 in Bangkok and 346 at places in other provinces.

3.2.3 Hearings for victims7 have been organized to provide opportunities for

them to explain events from their point of view. TRCT also collected facts and opinions in

order to cross check information.

And yes, besides many other points, the reports also states that the commission views the root cause as the hidden asset case against Thaksin, and views it as a misjudgement. For a slightly expanded critical view on this case i would also refer to Duncan McCargo's relevant paper for further details. While i tend to partially agree with the TRCT's findings on this subject, it still is hardly topic of this particular discussion, and as you are always so keen to remind others on what may be off topic - i would suggest to do the same here, and stick with the subject matter of what is seen in the title under "political prisoners", etc.

In short, let's not argue about the Thaksin money laundering evidence as we can't stand up anything on that front, but instead witter on about the process. In a similar way, red apologists will try to obscure, sidestep with Arisman's case, 'he's innocent until proven guilty', 'just political offences', 'double standards' and the like. Sleazy defence tactics from our friendly forum Thaksin cheerleaders, but at least consistent in that respect.

This afternoon, Arisaman's lawyer submitted a new bail application.

The surety for the bail request has been upped to 4 million baht cash on one of his charges.

In another of his cases, his wife, Pheu Thai Party MP Rapipan Pongruangrong offered her MP status as guarantee for 1.3 million baht as collateral.

The court is reviewing the application bail.

TERRORISM CHARGE

Court to consider Arisman's bail Wed

30171767-01_big.jpg

The Criminal Court is scheduled Wednesday to convene a hearing on the bail application submitted by remand redshirt Arisman Pongruangrong before deciding whether to grant him a temporary freedom.

Arisman is expected to testify in his defence as to why he fled for more than a year before surrendering himself last week. His escape and high penalty were two critical factors for the previous rejection of his bail.

The defence on Tuesday applied for a new round of judicial review seeking the temporary release of Arisman and posted Bt4 million cash as surety.

Arisman's wife Rapeepan Pongruangrong invoked her job status as Pheu Thai MP to guarantee her husband's complaince with the bail conditions.

Arisman has been held in remand since Wednesday pending trial on charges related to terrorism in connection with the last year's political disturbances. He fled to Cambodia following the May 19, 2010 ending of the redshirt rallies at Ratchaprasong Intersection.

Defence lawyer Wasuthep Sisoda said the bail application cited a threat on Arisman's life as reason to flee and become a fugitive for more than a year.

Wasuthep said Arisman was a victim of intimidation as evidenced by a group of thugs had tried to assualt him at the Chiang Rai airport in 2009. Unidentified men had stalked him, triggering a fear for his life.

In a latest incident in May 2010, police fired tear gas canisters and smoke bombs in an attempt to arrest him inside a hotel.

The bail application, if approved, would cover three cases. The cash surety would apply to the terrorism case.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-13