El Diablo'S Mexican Rest., Suk Soi 22

Spaniel

In today's Bangkok Post, Dine & Wine section, they reviewed El Diablo's. Sounds pretty good and I intend to try it but I'm wondering what others that have already tried it thought of the place? Any recommendations?

I have been there a few times, as a friend helped the owner with the opening. The menu is limited, but the taste and portion sizes are excellent. A nice addition to the Bangkok Tex Mex selection

I agree. It does not get the press and attention that other places get but that is a good thing for BKK residents.

Let's keep this place to ourselves and let the others go to Sunset and Coyote's.

Joking somewhat but it is a dilemma, I.e., enough traffic to stay in business but not so much that JingThang thinks he has to comment about it.

I have been there a few times, as a friend helped the owner with the opening. The menu is limited, but the taste and portion sizes are excellent. A nice addition to the Bangkok Tex Mex selection

I agree. It does not get the press and attention that other places get but that is a good thing for BKK residents.

Let's keep this place to ourselves and let the others go to Sunset and Coyote's.

Joking somewhat but it is a dilemma, I.e., enough traffic to stay in business but not so much that JingThang thinks he has to comment about it.

I've been to the Diablo's in CM a couple of times and don't see the appeal other than the free chips and salsa and water. I commented in the CM Forum that I was disappointed with the "chorizo burrito" because it wasn't made with Mexican chorizo but probably Thai sausage instead. I like spicy Thai sausage but it's not Mexican chorizo. The owner doesn't take criticism well.

I'll admit I'm in the minority as most posters on TV seem to like it. Maybe my problem is that I still get back to NYC occasionally where I can get much better Mexican food at a cheaper price.

Anyway, if you guys in BKK think it's a positive addition to the food scene there, I hope he does well. But in any case, don't worry, JingThing will comment on it no matter what.

Whereabouts on Soi 22 is it?

If you enter soi 22 from Sukhumvit procede until soi 22 doglegs to the left and El Diablo's will be on the right side of the soi. So it's a good ways down the soi. If you enter from Rama IV it's closer.

I have been to many of the Mexican restaurants around the BKK area, and in my personal opinion I feel that El Diablos at the end of Suk soi 22 offers the best all around menu from their service, taste of the food and overall quality of their items. The menu itself isn't as big as some other Mexican places but what they do have sets them above the other larger franchises. The prices I feel are just as fair as any other place as well. I have become a regular to this small family owned franchise and have nothing but great things to say. Highly recommend to anyone looking for something other than thai food. They are also now on chefsxp for delivery but I would stop in 1st to get it fresh of the grill.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by usherg1981

I've been to the Diablo's in CM a couple of times and don't see the appeal other than the free chips and salsa and water. I commented in the CM Forum that I was disappointed with the "chorizo burrito" because it wasn't made with Mexican chorizo but probably Thai sausage instead. I like spicy Thai sausage but it's not Mexican chorizo. The owner doesn't take criticism well.

I'll admit I'm in the minority as most posters on TV seem to like it. Maybe my problem is that I still get back to NYC occasionally where I can get much better Mexican food at a cheaper price.

Anyway, if you guys in BKK think it's a positive addition to the food scene there, I hope he does well. But in any case, don't worry, JingThing will comment on it no matter what.

Spicy Thai sausage is a very, very poor comparison to good Mexican chorizo. Can't even compare taste wise.

:D Are the prices net or plusplus?

I haven't traveled to Bangkok recently. I plan on visiting Diablos next time I do. I agree spicy Thai sausage ain't Mexican chorizo and would suggest they call it a Thai sausage burrito and claim it as fusion cuisine. If Thai satay style grilled chicken burritos can sell in the US (they do) why not fusion burritos here? How about larb tostadas? Tom yum tacos? Pad krapow nachos?

Edited by Jingthing

Pad Krapow Nachos sounds good to me:)

I haven't traveled to Bangkok recently. I plan on visiting Diablos next time I do. I agree spicy Thai sausage ain't Mexican chorizo and would suggest they call it a Thai sausage burrito and claim it as fusion cuisine. If Thai satay style grilled chicken burritos can sell in the US (they do) why not fusion burritos here? How about larb tostadas? Tom yum tacos? Pad krapow nachos?

Pad Krapow Nachos sounds good to me:)

Was thinking the same! biggrin.gif

Yes .. El Diablo'S is good mexican food. I have extensively travelled and eaten at all Mexican restaurants in Thailand and other parts of the world. The food portions are reasonable and the taste is ok.

Just want to add that I dropped into Sunrise Tacos at Emphorium on Saturday just to see if the food quality had improved. Absolute rubbish ! I had 3 tacos and they were the worst taco's I have had in a long time. No flavour whatsoever , it was like someone just half cooked the beef and threw it together. Very minimal cheese ... tiny bit of lettuce, ... it was tacos shell with mince and a sprinkle of orange cheese ... Cancelled forever.

Anyway , try El Diablo'S .... :jap:

:D Are the prices net or plusplus?

They add a 10% service charge but no tax.

The lack of fusion Mexican is strange. Stuff like nam tok and laap work great as ingredients for Mexican. I'd love to be able to buy nam tok moo grilled burritos with fresh salsa at street stalls and I think it'd be popular with Thais too

The lack of fusion Mexican is strange. Stuff like nam tok and laap work great as ingredients for Mexican. I'd love to be able to buy nam tok moo grilled burritos with fresh salsa at street stalls and I think it'd be popular with Thais too

It's interesting how fusion just doesn't seem to work with even the sophisticated locals. This is also true in Laos, as I just read a food article where they interviewed all the top chefs at the top French restaurants in town, and they said they had tried Lao-French fusion and it was a big bust...though have never seen Mexican-Thai fusion, interesting to try...

though have never seen Mexican-Thai fusion, interesting to try...

I've never seen it either, I just make my own. I just get some take away from an Isaan place, some laap, nam tok, and gai yang, and grill it in a tortilla.