Best 3G Data Card

sunnyhor

I have an iPhone 4 and use a 1-2-Call card. Calling and unlimited data run me about 850 baht a month. Been using it since February both here and in BKK with no issues other than some places don't have 3G and it drops down to Edge. I top it up once a month at 7-11.

David

Probably limited advice, because 3G in Thailand is so screwed up!

3G coverage is spotty at best. First, it depends where you are/will be whether you will get 3G coverage *at all*. Second, even falling back to EDGE is a bit of a minefield - True might work well for you in one place and have zero bars in another, DTAC the same.

Fwiw, I use DTAC because it's the only one that works where I'm at (Mae Taeng valley, near Mae Taman) - but only EDGE not 3G.

Also, beware "unlimited" packages. These might give you only 3Gb of data on 3G and "unlimited" on EDGE - in other words when your 3Gb is used up you'll revert to EDGE speed. First month I was here DTAC had an "unlimited" package for 790 - now they seem to have done away with it and replaced it with 3 "unlimited" packages at 399, 650 & 890 with "3G speeds" limites of 1Gb, 3Gb and 5Gb respectively. Once this is used up (at 3G speeds IF you can get 3G) you revert to EDGE for the remainder of the package period.

Since I can only get EDGE anyway, I buy the cheapest one and pull about 15-20Gb/month off it on EDGE. :)

Pricing, packages and coverage seems to change frequently.

hth

we use true for our galaxy tab, live in sansai noi, travel minimally around town to usual spots for shopping and find our coverage moderately better than average.

our plan is 1.5 gigs of data per month, with no text and runs 699/month. Have rarely used more than 20 % of our allotment. They try to push the "best deal" package with is 2 or 300 baht more, but we politely declined since we mostly log into wireless networks at home and at our friends homes.

Speed tests show us getting around 5megs transfer rates when out and about around town.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a "heavy" user and stay in CM city area. Was wondering which monthly package must I buy for unlimited 3 G.

Afaik no-one has unlimited 3G. You will be limited to xx Gb on 3G if you exceed which, you will be clamped at 384kbps or EDGE for the duration of the package. (e.g. dtac are 890 for 5Gb and AIS are 899. Can't remember what True are).

Mobile telcos have been charging through the nose for data since day 1. If you're a *really* heavy user you need to forget about 3g and get a good ISP and a fixed (or wireless) link (unless of course you can afford 180baht a gig) at home...

Mobile telcos have been charging through the nose for data since day 1...

You have not been to a western country recently...

In Bulgaria we have unlimited 45Mbps to home - US$20/month (of course with the usual "fair use" small print, but we've hit a Tb in a month without them batting an eye). In most countries I've been in recently, 3G data cost anywhere from US$5 to US$25/Gb. Thailand is on par with those prices (US$6/Gb (although getting 384kbps once your 3G bundle is finished is a bonus)).

Admittedly I haven't been back in UK for a while but I'd wager that they still charge through the nose (relative to ISPs). Last I checked Orange UK were charging US$40 for a 10gb bundle. Voda $25 for 2Gb.

Do note that even a 64kbps link can do 15Gb/month of data. This puts things in perspective when you see people advertising "42Mbps for only $30/month" then limiting it to 5Gb - which would take roughly 15 minutes to consume, at 42Mbps. So what they're selling you is not 42Mbps at $30/month - it's 42Mbps at $2,880 a day, roughly $80,000 a month (that's what you'd pay to consume 42Mbps 24/7 for a month). I'd say that's slightly higher than your typical ISP. :)