Dependent Visa

Hi to all,

I got my retirement visa a few days ago. Now I want to get my two daughters (15 and 11 yrs old) dependent visas. The 15 yrs old went to school and had a student visa until Dec. 1st 2011 and now she is homeschooling. The 11 yr old is going to school but as of now didn't have any visa except for the tourist visa which expired long ago. I heard from a multi children mother here in Bangkok that they don't make trouble upon departure for children up to 14 yr old.

So today I went to the Chang Wattana Immigration office trying to explain what I need. It took the officer a few hours to consult about the matter (both of my daughters are overstayed) plus she called the school manager and had a long conversation with him. I did not understand any of it, but finally she gave me a form explaining what I should do.The form explained what I should do for becoming a guardian for a child in an educational institution. That includes showing a bank account for the amount of 500,000 tb.

Now, I thinkd she got me all wrong, since I don't need any visa for myself. She said to come back on Tuesday with both the girls and then she'll consult about the 15 yr old.

I don't know if it's right, but heard that when leaving the country you pay up to 5000 tb as a fine. maybe it's best to leave it as is? we will be leaving the country in July for a month.

Any ideas?

I'll appreciate any comment.

Thanks

Yes, it looks very much like the immigration officer misunderstood you and thought you wanted to apply for an extension for yourself under clause 2.11(5) of Police Order 777/2551, whereas it is your daughters who want extensions under clause 2.20(4). Both daughters meet the stipulated criteria, which are: "In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age". The younger daughter, who still studies at school, is not subject to overstay fines until she reaches 14 but there is of course no harm in her applying for a one-year dependent extension, too, or an education extension with the usual paperwork from the school.

...I don't know if it's right, but heard that when leaving the country you pay up to 5000 tb as a fine...

The overstay fine, for your 15-year-old daughter, will be THB 500/day of overstay but maximum THB 20,000. Check with the immigration office if you can pay her fine to them and get her dependent extension at the same time, without her having to leave the country.

My question is, do the daughters need valid Non-Immigrant Visas to apply or can there be a conversion process similar to when an applicant applies for an extension using Tourist Visa or visa exempt entry? As it stands now, both daughters are here illegally aren't they?

I've seen many posts where the immigration officer accepted the application for a dependent extension of a retiree's wife only if she had arrived with a non-immigrant visa, ie the officer refused to do a change of visa first. Can't remember seeing any post about a dependent extension application by a retiree's child.

Both children are here illegally so yes an exit and return with non immigrant O visa (obtained on proof of relationship and copy of your passport with retirement extension of stay) will likely need to be the first step. You do have a one year extension of stay from Immigration for retirement (you said visa and immigration officer did not seem to notice so make sure)? On exit overstay will be charged for the older daughter.

Both children are here illegally so yes an exit and return with non immigrant O visa (obtained on proof of relationship and copy of your passport with retirement extension of stay) will likely need to be the first step. You do have a one year extension of stay from Immigration for retirement (you said visa and immigration officer did not seem to notice so make sure)? On exit overstay will be charged for the older daughter.

And, OP, if you don't have one already, BE SURE to get a RE-ENTRY permit for yourself, assuming that you'll be accompanying the kids to a nearby country, and return.

Mac